Obama Care Vs Affordable care act.

s most of you know, I work in healthcare. No, I am not a MD, DO, PA, ad nauseum, but just one of the behind the folks who provides the info for those folks to make the best decision. I also sit on a committee and get to hear some of the paperwork and BS these folks have to deal with.

In regards to ACA, Obamacare, whatever the heck you want to call it, because of the way it was written, so much power and decision making was given to SecHHS, that folks whose job it is to deal with legal implictaions and healthcare could not interpret it because part of the law were still being written AFTER congress passed it. Large sections of the bill related to HHS guidelines which were not out. Even the most liberal member of the committee, the one who was a cheerleader for Obama's healthcare reform is now totally opposed to it because it is hurting healthcare.

It really impacts the small, independent non- profit hospitals that are sometimes are the only hospital in an area. My local paper reports that the hospital in my town is in the process of merging with a large, for-profit hospital chain because in reviewing ACA, they do not think they could survive. Another hospital in another town has come to the same conclusion: they cannot survive alone. They are looking to getting some type of partnership set up. I can tell you from some research I've done for others that all the different reinbursement plans the governement has set up are just ways for them to not pay for services provided. Or there are some legal issues that were not thought about when the ideas popped up.

As for physicians, they are not happy. It was bad enough with Medicare/aid, but it now will get worse. Why will healthcare get worse? 1) More paperwork to deal with. That entails more time away from patients for the MDs, more staff to be hired to transcribe notes, file records, submit insurance claims, and fight insurance companies. more overhead means higher prices. Best example I can give is the conversation I had with one MD about changes in medicine: how he started a practice with just his partner, a nurse for each, and a receptionist for a total of 5 people. Now he and his partner employ a staff of 32, mostly to deal with all the paperwork. he is looking forward to the day he is bought out and can retire.

2) More patients will be added without resourcess for folks in the medical field, especially primary or family medicine. As it is right now there are not enough MDs and DOs to handle healthcare. That's why states are looking at extending the scope of practice of PAs, RNPs, and PharmDs. so that these folks can provide healthcare. Just look at where the majority of the money for programs like NURSECORPS is going: folks working on the RNP, other advanced practice nursing degrees (CRNA, etc), and nurse educators ( real problem there: not enough nursing instructors to cover demand).

But once they get the degrees and practice, then the world slaps them in the face. Low reimbursement rates, paperwork driving up overhead, fighting to get reimbursed,etc. and that is just with medical insurance and medicare/aid. Why do you think many offices are now not accepting Medicare/aid: because it does not cover the cost of the actual care! Kinda sad when a plumber can make more money take home pay than a family practice doctor. Kinda sad when you read the survey results and more and more MDs are disgusted with medicine, specifically the bureaucracy of it, that wish if they knew before going to med school what they know they know now, they would not do it.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How to take an excellent private industry and totally run it into the ground so that an ineffectual government boondoggle can replace it? Well, we now know. Insurance companies are dumping people ri

If the government can screw up the implementation of the program, you can only imagine what's going to happen when one gets sick.

Stosh

Wait until you see the premiums those companies can now charge and the services you will not longer be able to get because the government is now giving directives to private companies like BCBS as to what they no longer have to pay for.

AFFORDABLE CARE ACT has nothing to do with the bill you receive once you realize what they no longer provide at a higher deductible and premium. I remember the days of $100 deductibles, now they are talking $1000+. Sure its affordable, $1000 deductible was costing me $325/month 10 years ago. What's it now? $1500 deductible at $185/month - Blue Cross, Blue Shield, subsidized further by my company. If I lost my benefits, that same policy under COBRA would be $370/month. Yep, we've come a long way, Baby. Fortunately I get a better rate through my company and in 2 years I'll simply be able to stick it to the taxpayers if Medicare is still around because 65+ is mandatory single payer. No private insurance company is going to touch it. They'll sell you supplemental to cover what the government doesn't, and that's about it.

Insurance companies know that once everyone goes to single payer, they'll make a fortune with supplemental because the taxpayers aren't going to be paying much in the first place.

Stosh

If the government can screw up the implementation of the program, you can only imagine what's going to happen when one gets sick.

Stosh

The government does not tell insurance companies that they need not cover A. B. or C. if they were covered before by insurance companies without government telling them they must cover them, it's insane to say they will not cover them without government telling them they must cover them..

Your groups problem is in what the government says must be covered.. Yes, women too will be able to have health care for female related problems.. How awful..

s most of you know, I work in healthcare. No, I am not a MD, DO, PA, ad nauseum, but just one of the behind the folks who provides the info for those folks to make the best decision. I also sit on a committee and get to hear some of the paperwork and BS these folks have to deal with.

In regards to ACA, Obamacare, whatever the heck you want to call it, because of the way it was written, so much power and decision making was given to SecHHS, that folks whose job it is to deal with legal implictaions and healthcare could not interpret it because part of the law were still being written AFTER congress passed it. Large sections of the bill related to HHS guidelines which were not out. Even the most liberal member of the committee, the one who was a cheerleader for Obama's healthcare reform is now totally opposed to it because it is hurting healthcare.

It really impacts the small, independent non- profit hospitals that are sometimes are the only hospital in an area. My local paper reports that the hospital in my town is in the process of merging with a large, for-profit hospital chain because in reviewing ACA, they do not think they could survive. Another hospital in another town has come to the same conclusion: they cannot survive alone. They are looking to getting some type of partnership set up. I can tell you from some research I've done for others that all the different reinbursement plans the governement has set up are just ways for them to not pay for services provided. Or there are some legal issues that were not thought about when the ideas popped up.

As for physicians, they are not happy. It was bad enough with Medicare/aid, but it now will get worse. Why will healthcare get worse? 1) More paperwork to deal with. That entails more time away from patients for the MDs, more staff to be hired to transcribe notes, file records, submit insurance claims, and fight insurance companies. more overhead means higher prices. Best example I can give is the conversation I had with one MD about changes in medicine: how he started a practice with just his partner, a nurse for each, and a receptionist for a total of 5 people. Now he and his partner employ a staff of 32, mostly to deal with all the paperwork. he is looking forward to the day he is bought out and can retire.

2) More patients will be added without resourcess for folks in the medical field, especially primary or family medicine. As it is right now there are not enough MDs and DOs to handle healthcare. That's why states are looking at extending the scope of practice of PAs, RNPs, and PharmDs. so that these folks can provide healthcare. Just look at where the majority of the money for programs like NURSECORPS is going: folks working on the RNP, other advanced practice nursing degrees (CRNA, etc), and nurse educators ( real problem there: not enough nursing instructors to cover demand).

But once they get the degrees and practice, then the world slaps them in the face. Low reimbursement rates, paperwork driving up overhead, fighting to get reimbursed,etc. and that is just with medical insurance and medicare/aid. Why do you think many offices are now not accepting Medicare/aid: because it does not cover the cost of the actual care! Kinda sad when a plumber can make more money take home pay than a family practice doctor. Kinda sad when you read the survey results and more and more MDs are disgusted with medicine, specifically the bureaucracy of it, that wish if they knew before going to med school what they know they know now, they would not do it.

Your groups problem is that they count anything said by anyone that is not total praise for ACA means they are opposed to it.. Find 1 physician that is against it, all physicians are against it.. The union had a problem with one item in the ACA, the union is totally against it.. So and So says this part could stand improvement, well So and So is totally against ACA.. It is really funny when the Republican make these claims and then the person or group who they say is against it, comes out to discount it and say the GOP is totally misrepresenting their position.. I guess I tend to believe the person or group themselves rather the political retoric from the GOP..

I worked with a group in the re-election of Obama campaign.. Many, Many, Many were people in the health field who felt the ACA could use some improvements, but this was a great starting point in the right direction.

Moose,

With all due respect, none, repeat, NONE (emphasis, not shouting at you) of the doctors that I have had contact with are in favor of the current law, including one who was promoting healthcare reform.

I too know folks who volunteered for the Obama campaign who work in healthcare, one of whom was a very active promoter of healthcare reform, I would call her the biggest cheerleader for ACA prior to it being enacted, Again once it got enacted and she actually saw the nuts and bolts of it and how it is now affecting healthcare in the exact opposite way that it was suppose to help, she is not a happy camper.

Moose must be an Egyptian because she lives in the state of de-nile. Thank you, I'll be here all week...
that's funny when you support a group that haven't been right one single time in their political retoric

How's Bengazi doing? What happen to all that sure fire evidence on Obama or Clinton?

How about the IRS scandel? Again definate evidance it went straight to the top.

Why isn't Romney President? All your polls showed him winning by a landslide.

Now we have this government shut down and threating of a debt default. America is with you? Total victory for your side?.. Really?? Meanwhile the ACA went up in popularity in the polls, Republicans tanked to their lowest in history for since polling started, And 70% of Americans thought the GOP attempt to kill the ACA by shutting down the government was the wrong way to go..

Republicans are more united then ever.. Really? I have not heard so much discussion of the Republican party seperating into two distinct parties since the tea party was formed by republicans on Capital hill and big supporters of the Republican party..

The simple fact remains a huge proportion of health care dollars are spent at the end of life. Until we as a nation are willing to address this issue we cannot hope to fix the structural problems. Unfortunately whenever the subject is brought up politicians start screaming "Death Panels!"
KDD, what do you think is a way to address this issue of 'end of life' costs?

I have watched many persons confront this issue, including both of my parents...and I guess it will be my turn eventually. To me when I contemplate the prospect of politicians writing legislation about this, it scares me to think that all of us might be subject to rules written by persons who are that thoughtless. To me, the simple solution is to make ALL of those decisions the responsibility of the dying person, or of the immediate responsible family. Government should not weigh in unless there are no relatives or other responsible persons for the dying.

As I have written in the past, I would terminate Medicare and Medicaid (not to mention Social Security), and in their place offer every person an opportunity to use their resulting larger incomes to purchase whatever insurance they think they need. And then let them live or die in their own chosen manner.

A boss of mine had a mantra "bring me solutions, not problems." I dont think he would have been happy if my solution was to fire everyone and shut down the company.
Sometimes that is the best solution, though. (Obviously, not here.)

I think trying to eat the whole elephant in one bite has been the worst plan yet. Phasing people into ACA via age cohorts might have been a better idea, especially if you started with all children 0-18. Yes, this would leave some families partially covered, but you have to start somewhere.

How interesting is it going to be when Obama has to delay the individual mandate because not enough young people can/will enroll to support us old codgers?

Since delaying the individual mandate for a year was one of the first bills the Repubs sent to the senate to re-start the Govt; this will expose the petty bullheadedness of Obama:

"I refused to negotiate delaying the individual mandate back then, because that would have given the Republicans a 'win'. But let's delay the individual mandate now, because we have to fix it; errr because it's the right thing to do!"

Eagle92, I'm getting the feeling that you see a problem with 'for-profit' health care. Am I correct?
Moose,

With all due respect, none, repeat, NONE (emphasis, not shouting at you) of the doctors that I have had contact with are in favor of the current law, including one who was promoting healthcare reform.

I too know folks who volunteered for the Obama campaign who work in healthcare, one of whom was a very active promoter of healthcare reform, I would call her the biggest cheerleader for ACA prior to it being enacted, Again once it got enacted and she actually saw the nuts and bolts of it and how it is now affecting healthcare in the exact opposite way that it was suppose to help, she is not a happy camper.

I am in a dept that has a large number of undergraduates (more than 1000), most of whom are pre-med of some sort. I get to advise them frequently and I am constantly struck by the dichotomy of motivations to go into medicine. The vast majority are in it 'for the money'. If this is typical for the rest of medicine, I can understand why they are disillusioned with the real world. Like I've written elsewhere, abolish Medicare and Medicaid and let people make their own decisions...and the market will make the needed adjustments.