CSE in favor of coed Scouting?

In another thread, BadenP wrote:

If Mazzucca has his way the boy scouts will indeed become coed, as it is in much of the world already, during his tenure as CSE.

I'm wondering what others think about this - not about the coed Scouting debate, because that's been hashed and rehashed already - but about Mazzuca being in favor of coed Scouting. I just don't see it. Any hints from Irving on this subject that others have picked up?(This message has been edited by shortridge)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as the separate and unequal outdoor programs that the GSUSA cranks out persists in depriving our daughters of premier experience, every other exec in the BSA will see the merits of a co-ed program. I doubt that many of them are up to promoting it.

Don't know if Bob is currently in favor or against.

P.S. - I don't think the inequality in outdoor program is entirely the fault of the GS-USA. I learned after talking to some elderly ladies that we have a whole culture of moms who lost that pioneer spirit.

My experience and understanding of GSUSA is that when a welcoming hand is offered by the BSA, they want nothing to do with it. We've tried a few times to do some joint efforts with GSUSA, and have been turned down every time.

I think they're trying to prove they don't want or need our help. OK. Eventually we just quit offering, and their program just keeps getting weaker.

BDPT00

It doesn't help that GSUSA keeps changing its program vision and materials. Say what you want about how Cubs or Scouts has gone soft, believe me when I say it ain't your Mother's Girl Scouts anymore. GS training is laughable, we're going through yet another full switch of program materials and focus for the third time in 25 years, and way too many leaders believe roughing it is a Holiday Inn. We have gutted our outdoor program because upgrading camps costs money and fancy offices cost money and, well, sometimes you just have to choose.

I'm just going to get off my soap box now. It's too lovely a day here in Schwabia.

I know that in my neck of the woods, when I talked to the local GS pros about doing joint round ups in the school, they point blank said "NO!" And I reasoned, cajoled, and even begged, yep you heard me BEGGED, them to do joint round ups because the girls wanted the same opportunities as the boys.

Now that we have American Heritage Girls in my neck of the woods, they may be doing joint round ups.

As a district membership chair, I do a lot of recruiting for Cub Scouts in elementary schools. Girls reliably ask about joining Cub Scouts, and I encourage them to talk to their parents about joining Girl Scouts.

I've never been able to get recruiting literature I could pass out to interested girls from Girls Scouts.

Seems like a missed opportunity to me.

Seattle, good thoughts on referring the girls to GSA, but they may already know what they are missing.

I've got a daughter at home who has been a girl scout, and after seeing what the BSA does, regularly and articulately states how much the GSA stinks, the superiority of the BSA program, and is not happy about the injustice of not being able to join the BSA.

She's anxiously awaiting the day she's old enough for Venturing.

Our local Girl Scout council must be unusual. We don't do joint recruiting, but if you visit their web site in the fall, you'll get referred to ours to join Cub Scouts. If you visit our Unit finder - www.adventureiscalling.org - and enter that you have a girl under 13, you get referred to the local GSUSA web site.

We have slips that we distribute at recruiting events to girls about Girl Scouting. We use their camps for our events. We do Scouting for Food jointly.

My 10 yer old daughter quit GS after 4 years. She had too much fun on Cub Scout family camping trips. The GS Camping trips were multi-inhabitant fancy bunkhouses. (My tomboy probably doesn't like being trapped in close quarters with that many girls...)

She definitely does not like knitting.

Now she is waiting to turn 14 so she can venture.

I completely agree with others who have said that girls in Girl Scouts want something like a Boy Scout program.

I've spent the past seven years acting as the Camping Adviser for my daughters Girl Scout Troop. I've done the best I could to bring the BSA outdoor program to these girls. They know how to correctly use a knife, chop and saw wood, can start a fire without matches, set up camp and sleep in tents winter, spring, summer and fall... and out hike most Boy Scouts! They love to go camping and hate most of the GS activities.

But they do not want coed Scouting - they like being in their Troop with their friends in a safe environment.

Because four BSA adult leaders with sons in the Troop also had daughters in the GS Troop, on three occasions we tried joint camping trips. Each and every time it was an utter disaster. Boys are much happier and better off being around boys, and girls are much happier and better off being around girls. When we all camped together, the girls spent their time ignoring the other girls and flirting with the boys, and the boys acted like idiots and spent their time showing off for the girls.

Forget coed, GS needs a better outdoor program!!

If your daughter does not like your troops outdoor program, than change it. Or find one that better suits her. My daughters troop does not camp every month, but they do go camping. They may not canoe the snake river, but they have had canoeing days on the local ponds and lakes.

I have offered to help with the events and they have accepted. The GSUSA troop went to the climbing tower one day and I cooked DO chili and Cobbler for them. They loved it and let me climb the tower. BTW, that was a challanging tower to climb. It was one they call an Alpine tower.

When it comes to camping though I will find a different campsite or go home at night. When I cannot even share a tent with my own daughter THAT IS A PROBLEM. when I have to set up my tent 100 feet away with the opening in the opposite direction, and be in bed by 9, then I would rather go home and enjoy myself. Or I will just pay for another campsite and go over and have my own evening fire and go to bed WHEN I WANT TO.

The problem is not the entire GSUSA, it is the fact that the units are too scared to try something new.