Joe Corbi Pizza Fundraiser

First off I'll assume that Joe Corbi Pizza is not sold throughout the country. The company is located in Baltimore, MD and make pizza kits and other food products for non-profits and other organizations to sell as fundraisers. My units have sold these products, they are of good quality, their service is good and the profit one can make is reasonable. Units in my area have used this company for years and the company has even been invited to Roundtable meetings to offer samples and information on their products. Our council has just notified units that this company is no longer an"authorized fundraiser". The notice mentions that the company does not have permission to use the BSA brand or image. I have their literature and have looked at their website and I do not see the BSA brand or image used. Have other councils made similar decisions banning specific products from being sold for fundraiser

I am familiar with JCorbi's. We've been on both sides of the pizza box here. I've never seen anything but Corbi labels on their packages. Never "XYZ Elementary School Pizza" or "Boy Scout Troop ABC Pizza". It's aways labeled Joe Corbi Pizza.

Eagle32, has your Council declared WHY , what has happened to get Corbi declared of limits?

Perhaps Corbi is claiming that one can "raise money for your Scout Troop!" Is that too much?

J Corbi is a perennial school band fundraiser here. We always buy and the quality is reasonable. I have no idea why your council would declare it off limits...other than the fact that they don't get a cut, like they do with popcorn. I'm not aware that our council has taken a position; my unit sells Xmas wreaths from Mickman Bros. I haven't bought BSA popcorn in years...but we buy pizza and wreaths every year. There's a message there.

Your council can not really stop units from selling the pizza products. While they might try not approving your money earning application, they really have no recourse if your unit decides to sell their products anyway with out an approved application.

Perhaps the BSA brand or image they are talking about is the BSA uniform. What your council may no longer be authorizing is selling their product in BSA uniform.

This, to me, is a streach. While BSA has the right to charge a company if they want to put BSA logos on their products or marketing materials, I have never heard of a company being made to pay a fee in order for units to sell their products in uniform. However, that might be what your council is trying to do, and the notice might be a result of Corbi's not agreeing to pay.

Or it might be a misunderstanding, or something else entirely.

I would give your council a call and talk to whoever put out the notice. That is the only way to find out for certain what is going on, and why.

There was no mention of wearing the uniform or not, if that were the case they could have sent a notice out that said no uniform shall be worn during selling and no fundraising permits would be approved. In reality it's the parents selling it to other family, friends and coworkers. Council just said it is not an authorized fundraiser and if you have any questions call your commissioner. No other explanation given.

Have to admit to having never heard of a ""authorized fundraiser".

I can think of some events that might fall outside of the BSA guidelines.

I in the past have used Joe Corbi Sales (I think they have a place close to Pittsburgh?)

I used them to help raise funds for Jamboree Troops in both 2001 and 2005.

As these were Troops that fell outside of the norm. That is to say they didn't have a CO. It might be said that these were in fact "Council Sales".

I haven't used Joe Corbi for a while, so I don't know if they have done anything that might upset the powers that be?

I kinda think someone in your area has got their wires crossed.

Eamonn.

I was pleased, a while back, to learn that I am not the only person who dislikes popcorn. To me the stuff is repulsive to the point of nearly wretching at the thought. It smells like animal urine and tends to make everything else smell the same way. Have a nice day.:)

Anyway, after years of selling and eating Corbi pizza for band fundraisers, I tend to put pizza-in-general about one notch above popcorn. Today, if I have to feed some students (and I plan to tomorrow) I order the pizzas from the cheapest place possible knowing that students' mal-developed palates will allow them to bolt pretty much anything placed in front of them. And I will politely eat one slice...pretending to sacrifice the remainder of my share for their sake...and secure in the knowledge that I have preserved both my sense of camaraderie as well as my culinary integrity.

Had a meeting with the council finance person today, here's the official story. Council was directed by National about 1 year ago to notify all units that selling Corbi's will not be allowed. The decision was based on what BSA felt was trademark infringement with using it's name and logo improperly. National is working with Corbi's and they may become an "authorized" fundraiser in the future.

Had a meeting with the council finance person today, here's the official story. Council was directed by National about 1 year ago to notify all units that selling Corbi's will not be allowed.

Did they show you this in writing or was this verbal? I have never heard or seen anything like this from my council.