Which "lifestyles" are acceptable.

Perhaps we should ponder more than the obvious when we consider acceptable lifestyles for BSA leaders and members ... so how about a poll.

Which of these "lifestyles" are acceptable for BSA?

1) Heterosexuality

2) Homosexuality

3) Bisexuality

4) Monogamous marriages

5) Polygamous marriages (multiple spouses)

6) Non-monogamous marriages (aka "Open" Marriage)

Just askin!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care about your lifestyle as long as it is checked at the door and you don't push, preach or make it an issue.

Yours and Q's list are all currently a part of many scouts and scouter's lifestyles not agreeing but it is what it is. ?

How many Eagle scouts have knocked up their girlfriends or came out of the closet just after their ceremony???? Way to many in my opinion but that is just me.

So your poll is irrelevant.

Well, in a way BD is right...the poll has little meaning. The reason, this is the 21st century; and science, as well as the science of genetics has come along way since men started making gods to blame on bad weather, crop failures, the evil eye, and to protect them from witches, heathens, and homosexuals. Sadly,it seems that the major drivers and policy makers of BSA National, plus a considerable number of others still prefer to live in the Dark Ages...

I am a lucky man, I still enjoy the attention of my wife and her holding my hand on hikes with the cubs is very scandalous. Sadly many of the boys have never seen their parents hold hands and I have to explain it is ok and that we have been married 25 years.

More than once have I seen a wife elbow her husband and by the end of the hike they are holding hands.

One parting shot.....

Unless you are told by the person that they are engaged in an alternative ......how do you know????? gossip?

As long as one does not limit the lifestyles to sexual only, there are a lot of manias out there that need to be considered, because if a person has a propensity towards a certain lifestyle, it must be natural and we must all be tolerantly accepting of it.

Remember that the next time a kleptomaniac comes and visits.

Stosh

Yeah...gotta agree with Basement and Voyager here.

I could add to that list, but they might not be what you expect:

Christians who sit back and judge everybody and find a million faults and openly state them - but never look for the first good quality.

Heterosexual marrages where the parrents are " the social elite" and everything in life is judged by how much your car costs, how much your salary is and what neighborhood you live in.

Also related to the "my kid is in the honors/band/math/science club- what does yours do? " parents.

My inconsiderate "normal " neighbors who decide that since they are on vacation, it's okay to invite 35 people over and scream and holler until 3 am because if they are off ...then EVERYBODY else must be off and not need sleep either.

Now, notice I did not just say Christians or people who worked hard and are well off because of it. I am talking about the elitist snobbish "better than You" types.

NOw that gay couple that live 2 blocks over? Never had any issues due to or because of them, They wave, they smile, they keep their yard clean and their dog does not run loose pooping in everybody elses yards.

So...if EVERYBODY checks their own lifestyle at the door, it doesn't matter as long as they are good leaders and the scouts like them and have a great time while advancing they way they should.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, here is where I put in my plug for the "uniform". It is the equalizer (ties in with checking your lifestyle at the door). If all boys are in full uniflrom, how does one know which is rich or poor.

I used to Campmaster with a janitor. I scout and sit on the district committee with a State Supreme Court Justice. Both are friends of mine. If I were to introduce both of them to you while they were in uniform, you'd be hard pressed to figure out which was which.

Well Seattle Pioneer, it's not that I "deplore" BSA. Having been with the program since 1957 I've seen a lot of changes. And, the big change now, is that the program is veering hard right. I'd like to see it veer back to neutral, eliminate it's hypocracy, and be a bit more humanistic and a lot more inclusive...

If all boys are in full uniflrom, how does one know which is rich or poor

Pretty easy to tell who has da rumpled, slightly mis-fit, hand-me-down uniform vs. who has the most recent, straight from da shop, fully mom-measured-and-sewed rich kids uniform around these parts.

B

Barry, You misunderstood what I said, I even went so far to state:

" Now, notice I did not just say Christians or people who worked hard and are well off because of it. I am talking about the elitist snobbish "better than You" types "

And here's the thing...A true Christain does not judge because God say that it is not our place to judge others. Also, I an not, did no, and do not mean Chjristinas ina general term. I said those that look down their nose and who find fault everywhere without seeing any good qualities.

You know that type. You have seen them yourself. They look around and see every bad quality in every person they meet. No matter what anybody does, they instantly know that the person in question is up to no good..even thoiugh they don't even know what the person is doing. They see all the bad in other people, automatically know that everybody else are heathens and never for a minute try to see the good in anything. Yet they themselves will tell you in a heartbeat about how good and better than you they are.

Just like in scouting and every other facet of life. There are great scouters and those who will prejudge a Tiger Cub';s entire scout carrer based on what neighborhood that scout lives in or where his dad works.

Now is it a judgement statement? Sure is! Was it about all Christians? Nope, sure wasn't.

Do I believe? Yeah, I believe more than alot of so called Christians do because I do not judge by skin color, economic means, neighborhhod or last name. I take each person on their own merit and actions.

I am not predjudiced, bigoted, or racist.

And I do not look down on others when in fact , my Christian Bible tells me that I am a sinner too and that all men are brothers under God.

Now, the biggest problemn here is this: You saw the word Christian, and then decided you knew everything I was going to say and mean, and decided that I did not believe.

Fact is, I called out those who claim to be, but don't act it.

Surely you did not think I meant you!