LA Police and Fire depts. to end Explorer programs

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As churches have thrown their tenets to the winds and liberalized in order to increase the numbers, churches have seen even more rapid declines. So to will go scouting. For some of you, changing the membership requirements will be more attractive to some parents but I doubt that a significant up swing in membership will be seen. In other parts of the country, the results will be a disaster with loss of membership and support. The YMCA was at one time a large Christian organization. As it ceased to have standards, it has become increasingly marginalized. Boy Scouting will have the same fate. Their may arise a more traditional values version of scouting but the national BSA will not release its' trademarks, etc. So Scouting as we have known it will die. Standing for shared values attracts members rather than pushes them away. Scouting is just a microcosm of the liberalism of the 2 coasts contrasted with the more conservative heartland.

Well I don't know, vol. I don't have Y membership numbers, but I can tell you that all the Y camps in our area are full every week, all summer long. The one my son has attended is usually full with a waiting list by about March. That, in a lousy economy. I'm not sure I'd say they're suffering. Also, perhaps we have different ideas about standards and values, but I have always thought that the non-denominational approach that the Y takes nicely compliments the sort of "timeless values" people so frequently speak of with approval in the BSA.

Pack, your bible verse is not only quoted incorrectly and out of context but is not even relevant to this discussion, and FYI I do not take these discussions all that seriously believe me.

shortridge, lol, lmao and ha ha at your nonsensical comment.

Merlyn, yeah it looks like you have a fan club here, congratulations, maybe I will nickname the group "Merlyn's Loathsome Ilk", lol and lmao (added for shortridges benefit)

I copied it directly from my KJV and included the entire verse. Oh well....what can one expect from the bible? I don't take it very seriously either...I guess you see the 'hell fire' thing as a myth too. I suppose I'll have to put my hands on the TV and be healed....

You do come across with a tone of anger though. I wouldn't want you to pop a vein or something. The use of name-calling hardly supports anyone's argument and, in fact, makes the opponent look better. It's better to try an actual logical approach without the hyperbole. That might even be persuasive.

Apparently, packsaddle, you are not very familiar with the entire Bible but you did do a nice job of copying and pasting that verse. Usually when one does that, they include the passage reference and what version it was in. And BadenP is correct, that passage doesn't apply in this thread.(This message has been edited by evmori)

Ed, I know I don't understand much of it the way you or probably anyone else does, but I memorized a large portion of it back when I was trying to be a Presbyterian. That stuff and all the rape and incest and murder were burned into my childhood mind the way only true horror can do it. And that verse comes to mind every time I hear someone call another person a fool...which he did just a short time back. He called several of us in this thread, fools. Here's what he wrote, "So have fun and I will continue to watch you being played for the fools you are, and pack, yes I am making fun of all of you, ha ha."

Did you get that part, "...the fools you are..."?

So I dredged up this old saw from the bible ("...but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.") as a warning of sorts for local climate change, warmer climes perhaps. ;) Of course, it's just a myth. But HE's the one who called us fools and my use of the verse was relevant to it.

By the way, here's another that I committed to memory: "Then Jael Heber's wife took a nail of the tent, and took a hammer in her hand, and went softly unto him, and smote the nail into his temples, and fastened it into the ground: for he was fast asleep and weary. So he died." This one gave me nightmares for years, fear that someone could sneak into my bedroom and nail my head to the ground. Nice. And we complain about TV.

pack, thank you for being so concerned about my welfare but fear not while I disagree strongly with Merlyn on most things I enjoy the verbal battanage back and forth and never get really angry,I do not not wish any harm on him, life is too short for that. On the Bible verse quoted remember the who it was written for, when and why it was written before you try to apply it to a present day situation because it most cases the application does not hold up well. Lastly being "Played as fools", is not the same thing as being a fool don't take it to heart it is just part of the argumentive process.

BadenP, I understand. Remember, the verses I committed to memory were done through the mind of a child. I haven't gone much beyond that since, just ask my wife. ;) Sometimes I wish I could forget a lot of that stuff.

When I read the words that you wrote, "...the fools that you are", I get something other than your opinion that Merlyn is playing us. From the "...that you are" part I understand that YOU are making the claim that we are fools. If you did not intend for us to interpret what you wrote in this way, the simple way out is for you to clarify that you didn't have that intent.

For my part, I think that Merlyn is not playing anyone for a fool otherwise he'd give up even discussing anything. He is more accurate than many of us in describing the legal details, he has an in-depth knowledge of the history of the issue, and he is passionate about his ideas. And he disagrees with some of us, but not all. Why does agreement with him constitute evidence that he is playing someone as a fool?

EDited part: Ed, your comment reminded me of one local guy. He is morbidly obese, unwashed, usually drunk and sitting in a chair on his porch, chewing tobacco and spitting with a deadly accurate aim. He sometimes swills down a beer in a single breath and states that God made him in His image, and then starts laughing, drooling tobacco juice out the corners of his mouth. I just love this image.

I also wonder how can you swill beer like that with a chaw of tobacco clogging your jaw? A true God-given talent, to be sure.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

I guess it all depends on what you interpret "image" to be. If you think "image" means God looks like Kim Bassinger in her totally hot years, you have to accept that God also looks like Kathleen Turner in her later not so hot years. Perhaps image isn't about physical appearance, or anything physical at all. Perhaps Image means a spiritual entity capable of reason and expression and able to manipulate physical matter. Or at least that we imagine is physical matter, how do we know?.

I do know that when you attempt to anthropomorphise, you most always come up empty