The DRP debate club, Round WHAT??

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree they're both at fault Ed, I'd just put more blame on the BSA, because they knew about this problem for years and didn't bother to do anything about it. Gonzo1, public schools can't run religiously-exclusive private clubs.

Let me point at at this time, that having a scouting unit sponsored by the "Friends of Troop 65" meet in Public School No 19 is a whole heck of a lot different than having Public School No 19 being the Chartering organization. Friends of Troop 65 can discriminate as a private organization, and can meet in public buildings as long as other private groups also are allowed to meet in the public building.

If Public School 19 is the Chartering organization, then the Institutional Head of the Organization, whether principal, vice-principal or whomever has to apply the BSA memebrship standards to adults and members. A Public School, as a public institution may not discriminate against protected groups, yet the BSA membership requirements require just that, discrimination and I have to add, not that discrimination is a bad thing, its just a thing the Public School cant do.

OGE,

I get it. I understand the difference between the CO and where units meet. It's also important to point out, especially to Merlyn, that as far as i know, BSA doesn't charter units to public entities anymore, about 4 or 5 years now. There may be a straggler or two, but overall, not anymore.

Merlyn, as far as I know, like I just mentioned and has been mentioned before, BSA no longer charters units to public schools. Maybe "friends of PS 19" or some such thing.

I agree they're both at fault Ed, I'd just put more blame on the BSA, because they knew about this problem for years and didn't bother to do anything about it.

And the schools should have been aware of the problem, too. The blame should fall equally on both organizations because neither bothered to do anything about it.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

I **KNOW** that gonzo1, I had a lot to do with forcing the BSA to STOP chartering units to public schools. I was pointing out that the BSA does NOT make their discriminatory policies clear, because if they had, public schools would not have chartered units in the first place.

I was pointing out that the BSA does NOT make their discriminatory policies clear, because if they had, public schools would not have chartered units in the first place.

You know that for a fact? Maybe the public schools never read the charter agreement. If that's the case, then the public schools are the one who are at fault. Either way, both should be held equally responsible.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Or, maybe the people in the school simply hoped the PC stuff would not be an issue, and the 99% positive element of the program could happen. They, perhaps weighed the positives and negative(s, then felt the positives "far" out weighed the negatives; and a large group of parents wanted it. Oh, I am sorry, we need to ignore that group, as they just want what they see as "best" for "their" kids.

Skeptic, public schools don't avoid lawsuits by breaking the law and "hoping" that "PC stuff" like first amendment rights don't get in the way of a program that's 99% positive and only 1% unconstitutional. People's civil rights can't be ignored even if it's popular to do so.

Merlyn:

Of course you are correct; but you see, that "awful majority" sometimes hopes that rational responses will actually occur, rather than selfish ones.

Please do not wear yourself out regurgitating your never changing "facts" and so on. We all know how you feel.

Well now, since you helped BSA to stop schools from chartering BSA units, it's time to go away.

By the way, why don't you start your own group. I've suggested it, but why don't you do it?

Skeptic, I keep hammering at atheists' rights because you keep saying that atheists' rights should be optional, and that the majority ought to be able to ignore their rights whenever the majority feels like it. Rights don't work that way, nor are the rights of unpopular minorities "PC".

Gonzo1, tell you what, if you go away, you won't have to suffer through any more posts by me.