article: Scout's honor

So Merlyn, are you saying that you contacted BSA National and they just sent you a disk (or e-mail) with the names of every troop, pack and crew in the country, with the name of their chartered organization? Did they ask you what you wanted it for? It just seems a little ironic to me in light of some of the reports I have heard (in this forum and others) about Scouters getting the third-degree in response to requests for what would seem like basic information.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes no difference where you got the info from, Merlyn. By stating all the schools on the list are public schools you are misrepresenting the statistics therefore making the entire list suspect! And along with that, your credibility has become suspect! There is no excuse for including private schools in the list! If it was up to me & I was an administrator at a private school on the list I would pitch a fit to have a full investigation launched at the ACLU expense!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

A blessed Christmas to all!

I'm glad I hit the back button rather than posting my submission at about 6:00 last evening (which would be just beore this morning which is 32 minutes or so old . . . )

Merlyn presents the name of Robert Sherman earlier on this thread. However, he's holding some information back.

A search on the Daily Herald newspaper (suburban Chicago's premier newspaper) for Robert Sherman should reveal some things.

I heard/read that he went to jail for assaulting his son to "put the fear of god in him."

Interesting. Not exactly role model stuff.

Unc.

Merlyn,

You never answered my earlier question.

"The question then will be whether you Merlyn will be satisfied that the government and BSA have been seperated or if you will continue your crusade against the BSA for other reasons?"

In other words, if you gain an inch, will you then go for the mile or will your job be done?

BTW, you can take Boys Town off the list for Oklahoma. Do you honestly think a public school would be named Boys Town?

Sorry Merlyn. You are correct. You do state there are private schools in you list. But why are the in the list at all? The only reason I can think is so you can inflate the numbers of "illegally" chartered BSA units to make your case stronger! Well, by doing so you are only making your case weaker because the accuracy of your list is suspect!

That flushing noise you hear is Merlyn's credibility going down the drain!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

SR540Beaver, as I earlier said to OGE:

...there are still other issues; for example, the Boy Scouts, while being an organization that discriminates against atheists, teaches that atheist members can't be the best kinds of citizens, and has thousands of public schools currently running their "private" no-atheists-allowed youth groups, also teaches schoolkids (including atheist schoolkids) through their Learning for Life program how to make ethical decisions.

I do not consider the BSA to be an ethical organization any longer, and I certainly object to a subsidiary of an organization that discriminates against atheists to have programs in public schools that pretend to teach ethics.

Merlyn,

The BSA doesn't teach that atheists can't be the best kind of citizens! That is nothing more than your opinion which you are trying to pose as fact. And as far as discriminating, the Supreme Court ruled the BSA is a private organization that can set it's membership guidelines. And belief in God is a membership requirement.

Who cares what you think of the BSA! You just keep compiling your inaccurate lists. That's what you're good at!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

Ed:

OGE is absolutely correct on this one. I thought I would answer before Merlyn did. I'm pretty sure he knows that as well.

If Merlyn didn't know that, he might as well. Of course, if he didn't know that, then you and I aren't the only "idiots" in his mind.

Unc.

Sorry, guys, for posting a "Merlyn" (inaccurate information). Actually, after I posted that I looked it up but by the time I got back it was too late to edit it.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God. Does this mean what it says? Since Buddhism does not have an obligation to God and is recognized by BSA, are we (BSA), talking about a higher moral philosophy? If this is true and if secular humanism has a moral code, would it be considered Theistic for this definition? I am not advocating this just asking the question?

Actually, I had to look a while to find a mistake and then I'm not too sure about it. But I think the entry,

Rome, GA Pack 1902 BERRY COLLEGE ELEM. SCHOOL

is a private school. I'd check to make sure. But it is clear that the vast majority are for packs not troops. And anyone who thinks those boys have established firm religious beliefs is deluding themselves.

Lastly, and I mean it - I really am leaving for vacation now, everyone should really enjoy the latest issue of 'The Economist'. Borrow a copy, go to the library, or worse, buy it. The leader on the 'end of the world' is just great, not to mention being like divine providence for my exchange with Rooster7 (seemingly bogged down elsewhere in these threads). Bon Appetite! I am in Rapt attention to your reactions. :) Happy Holiday Everyone!