Bobcat tradition?

Its a tradition, but there are at least two common objections to it:

(1) "Adding to the requirements!" Of course, this overlooks the fact that no one is withholding the badge from the boy.

(2) "Doing a Good Turn is a Boy Scout requirement!" Of course, this overlooks that part of the Law of the Pack in which "a Cub Scout gives goodwill".

I don't see the harm in it, but what the heck do I know?

I got my Bobcat in 1961. It was a pin back then, and it was pinned on upside down, until a "good turn" was performed, usually for one's mother who would then turn the pin around.

When I rejoined Cub Scouting with my first born son in 1984, the tradition was to turn the CUB upside down and then pin on the badge. That is now considered "hazing" and is not permitted.

When my son earned his Bobcat, it was pinned on his uniform upside down. He "tried" to do his good deed after the pack meeting. He got into the car before me. As I sat in the drivers seat, he put his hand out the door area to help me get my seat belt. I shut the door. On his hand. He started yelling, and I couldn't see why. Finally, he said his hand was caught in the door. I quickly opened the door to release his hand. Someone from the pack happend to be outside and saw/heard what was going on. The nearest hospital was...across the street. I decided to take him in and get his hand looked at. Fortunately, I only bruised the fingers on his hand. As we were sitting in the ER, he did ask if it still qualified has his good deed. And of course, I said yes!

ccjj

As a UC, I visited a Pack for a Uniform Inspection. I sat in the crowd next to a couple of Cub Scouts. They asked why I was there so I told them about the Inspection.

One then asked, "Are you going to check our ears?"

I said, "sure, and hands as well."

I noticed both boys pushing their hands under their legs. Boys respond to things adults tell them. We just don't expect how well and when. FB

We use the upside down badge also. For the most part it works, the boy will do something good real quick. We give the badge to the parents with the parent pin and have them attach it to the pocket upside down.

Technically we're adding another requirment so..........

WE'RE POLE VAULTING OVER MOUSE TURDS TODAY!!!

I received my Bobcat pin in 1964.

Mr Swift, our Cubmaster, had the Moms pin it on us, UPSIDE DOWN. We could not turn it up until we had done a good deed.

Don't be a litterbug was just coming into vogue as a public service announcement. The next day, there was trash at school which had not made the can. I picked it up. Guess what? The Bobcat pin went upright.

From my anecdote, the tradition of the Bobcat being awarded upside down dates back at least 42 years. I suspect some of the other Scouters here can track it back further. Anyone have a CUB advancement manual dating from that era? Anything on the pin?

For that matter, is there anything in the current Cub advancement manual?

Sheesh. We're trying to inculcate the AIM of Good Citizenship by letting these Cubs play the Grand Game.

I earned my Bobcat badge back in 1980 and I had forgotten all about it being upside down until I read this. I think my dad held me upside down if I remember right. Hazing? I thought it was fun at the time. It's not like I was upside down for the whole meeting. lol

• 2 weeks later...

PLEASE DON"T TURN THE CUB UPSIDE DOWN!! BSA National Council issued a policy letter on popular practices that were considered unsafe, inappropriate, or hazing sometime around 1990-91 that mentioned turning cubs upside down for the Bobcat award. My guess is that a boy got injured and the family complained to National that, "They told me I had to..." Soon after that my Woodbadge patrol was alo chastised about a skit and some popular songs being inappropriate. Turning a cub upside down is asking for trouble even if noe one has ever been injured in your pack. We all know it only takes once. Our pack at the time was doing it, and promptly forbade it after the policy notice. I've talked to several "old timers" who seem to have forgotten all about it.