observed an EBoR last night...

My two cents:

IF a EBOR member is a Scouter (and IIRC they do not have to be), then he/she should be in proper uniform.

IF the EBOR member is not a scouter, he/she should be in appropriate attire for the occasion. In town, IMO, coat and tie/business dress and blazer. In the field, appropriate camp attire.

We expect the Scout to be on his best, WE owe it to him.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a different take. None of the members of the EBOR should be in uniform. The only person in the room that should be in uniform is the Scout. The members of the EBOR should not consider themselves there as part of their scouting role. They should think of themselves as part of the Scout's community. They should be dressed in regular business dress, business casual at the minimum (collared shirts, khaki pants or better - no jeans).

This is the time for the Scout to impress - and part of that is to be wearing that full uniform. He shouldn't be facing people who may have uniforms that have more clutter than his. When I went through my EBOR, none of the members wore their uniforms, but I knew all of them were Scouters. Back in those days, the illustrations in the literature suggested that the members of the BOR were folks from the community that wore suits - it wasn't a requirement, but I believe people got the hint.

BTW - I turn 50 this year - my Scoutmaster is 83 - I still call him Mr. S and will never call him by his first name.

Calico,

I really like your take on that. Honestly, it would be great if we actually did invite more "regular" citizens to take part in EBOR's. Folks outside the program hear about Eagle Scouts. They know they do a lot of camping and service project stuff, but do they really get to meet many face to face fresh from the field, so to speak? I would love for more nonScouters to see the kind of young men I've met and learn from them what they have received and given to the program.

I am a member of the Eagle board in my district and have been for a few years. We Always where our uniforms as something to be proud of and as a positive role model to the boys that are coming in front of us.

We do have the occasional night where a member couldnt make it home from what they were doing or didnt have time to change. but a person every so often is unavoidable. We still have a very strong showing of uniform though.

I belive that if you want to help out in direct contact with boys you need to be willing to have a uniform and wear it with pride....id like to see that from the members that dont have direct contact with boys as well but it wont happen.

I think Calico brings an interesting perspective to this.

An EBOR, should be about the boy and his journey through Scouting. The only people in uniform should be the Eagle candidate and his SM to present him to the board. The message being sent to the candidate, whether real or perceived is, "We know more than you about this".

Maybe, not having every Scouter in uniform gives the candidate the opportunity to relax just a bit, so the board can see the person this Scout has become.

As an employee of a defense contractor, our plant gets tours from military brass frequently. When I talk to a Major or LTC wearing his or her dress uniform with full fruit salad, it's a little intimidating, when they wear their BDU's without all the pomp and circumstance, it's a little easier to talk to them. I still give them the respect they have earned, just not as distracted by all the shiny objects.

Now, think about a 14-16 yr old boy, seeing all the knots on their board members uniforms?

Also, what message is being sent to the candidate if the Scouter is poorly uniformed, you know the kind, when the Uniform Police need to be brought in to have a word with them. First impressions happen on both sides of the table.

Own......

This isn't the boys first BOR....I would like to think he has faced a table full of scouters in uniform before.

Same boat as you Calico....my SM is now in his 70's and I still call him Mr. C....

He has 4 Scout Masters, 6 Cub Masters and untold den leaders and ASM's from the boys he has lead. He is always smiles every time I see him, asking how my scouts are doing and the latest adventures.....Enough to kill an afternoon when I am at the parents house for a visit......

If a Eagle candidate is going to be tripped up by board member attire, then maybe he isn't ready.

Bottom line, it's not a big deal. Most candidates have gone down more challenging roads in life than the board of review.

I don't think we give our youth enough credit for maturity and resilience.

Basement,

No It's not their first BOR, but it is their first in front of District members, not the normal committee members they've had to deal with from the Troop. I really think the boys' confidence (or arrogance) will get them through their EBOR. However, there are some boys that don't have that natural confidence for whatever reason. That's why I said it might help them relax a bit. It's not a board of inquisition, but should be a board of celebration with a purpose.

OTN:

Depends on Council/District policy.

My District uses Unit Boards with District Guest. We also are very accommodating of where the young man wants to have his Eagle Board. For most, it's a very special day, and they deserve some deference to their desires.

I lament the change in policy which no longer allows the Scout to express desire about the composition of his board. I've known more than a few youth members, my own son included, who put together a challenging board. How many youth would want their Eagle Board to have their Camp Director, their Program Director, and a member of the Council Executive Committee?

If we're debating the issue of a Scout's comfort level with his EBOR panel members, would it not make him more comfortable to speak with Scouters whom he at least can identify as such? If a guy has an Eagle and AoL knot, you know he has a solid background in Scouting. If a woman wears a lodge flap, you know she's your brother in the Order. If they're all dressed in ordinary "civilian" clothes, you don't know who's who, and your answers may be somewhat vague or different as a result.

This most certainly NOT a hill worth dying over, but I do see it as mildly hypocritical to set one standard for the boys but not for the adults.

Thanks for all the input -- I find it interesting that it seems to be about 50-50, give or take a little. Given that, I'll probably not talk to the district advancement chair about it.

If I get a chance, I'll talk to our Scouts that have recently gone through these boards and if they have opinions on the matter, I'll post them here.

Thanks again --

Guy

Guy,

I WOULD, caps for emphasis, bring it to the attention of the district. those on the EBOR do need to set the example. They may not be in uniform, but they could at least dress appropriately and follow the guidance for the Eagle candidates in the advancement guidelines.

To me there is no question here.....where ever possible the board should be in full uniform.

If they are worried about the boy being nervous around them then they do what we did in our district and make it a requirement for them to get their projects approved by us so they get to see us and learn who we are and it isnt as scary the next time they come up. And if they follow the program right there will be a member of the board that they were given as an advisor that they will be in contact with and should show up to some project stuff.

After all that they have at least one person they are comfortable with. Weve had people up at the board that looked around at the uniforms and then started using us in their answers such as oa and other things.

So again there is no question here.....the Board members SHOULD be in uniform.

Moose,

How do I put this? O.K. Here goes: Your vision is somewhat parochial.

I grew up in a football family. One cousin went pro, a couple sibs played Division I college. If you got tickets to a game you went in suit and tie or (military dress if you were on active duty). You did not put on team colors or wear a team jersey. Maybe you carried a pennant to wave. This was out of respect for the players and the game (which, in our parts was just shy of a religion). You would not dare to presume that you were "in the game" in the same way that those boys on the gridiron were. You certainly did not play dress-up and wear their numbers and put eye-liner on and look like some clown from who-knows-where. You showed up like it was church and the players were giving a sermon.

With that culture in mind, the men at my EBOR wore suits; ladies, business dress. In their mind, it would insult the scout to even presume that they were "in the game" in the same way that he or his scoutmaster was. Out of respect to the boy, they tried to look as sharp as they would for the preacher on Sunday morning, or the team on game day.

It was my first "professional" interview, and has made every one since an enjoyable experience. I'm not saying it's the way it has to be for the boys in your district. Just don't go thinking anyone's doing their boys a disservice if it isn't that way in their district.

Seems like the EBoR's being described are a good life lesson.

One should never EXPECT to receive the respect or courtesy that one extends...especially in the workplace where there is open competition (sometimes underhanded) for perks/advancement or even keeping your job.

As for the uniform issue ... the Scout makes the uniform ... not the other way around. Meaning if a uniform is required to make you a good Scout ... then you aren't one.

What you wear does not make or define you...although others may think you are a snobbish bore if you are constantly over dressing.(This message has been edited by Engineer61)