observed an EBoR last night...

This is my opinion:

Scout People serving on ANY BoR should be in uniform, for all the reasons we wear a uniform. How can one think that an Eagle BoR has nothing to do with Scouting? How does one separate "Scouting" and "The Community?" Scout people going to a Scout event: Uniform.

And so someone is going from work to the BoR. Bring the uniform and change into it. I have changed into my Uniform just before leaving work many, many times.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have sat in on boards in my suit, after being asked last minute to serve. I don't keep my dress uniform handing in the car (yes, I have a dress uniform separate from the one I camp in or go to regular meetings in). So when the call goes out for a replacement member, I show up in a jacket and tie or a suit (depending on what I am wearing). I would have my uniform on if I could though.

It's easy to have opinions. The money is in proving them right. Is there anything in the "rule book" regarding uniform dress for adults at EBORs?

Gee it's nice when adults "tan it up", but if that's not the culture in your district, I'm not seeing the problem. Either way, it's how you treat our boys that's important.

qwazse - No, but there's nothing in the "rule book" about requiring a Scout to attend in uniform, either. Yet many EBoRs require just that. I see nothing wrong with sauce for the gander.

Nor do I think we're talking here about last-minute replacement board members such as Horizon describes. But if all boards are routinely composed of last-minute replacements, I think the district needs to seriously re-examine its process.

I would guess we're not talking about last minute board members either. The way the process works in this district -- the advancement committee meets on the 3rd Thursday of the month, and requests for either project review or EBoRs have to go in two weeks prior (1st Thursday deadline). If a Scout misses the 1st Thursday, they wait until the next month to be considered.

The advancement board meets prior to 7:15pm, for regular business. At 7:15pm, they start their first Eagle Board. Second one at 7:45pm. If there are 4 candidates on a Thursday night, they split into 2 boards, and handle 2 candidates each.

They also run a concurrent "Life to Eagle" seminar -- prior to last week, I got an email note that said that the monthly seminar would not be held, because the guy who ran it wouldn't be able to because they were running two boards that night.

Guy

I'm not talking about last-minute boards either. (Although I get the impression that most of those would be last minute communications. Or maybe last minute situations at work or home that put grabbing the uni at the bottom of the list.)

The bottom line: since uniforming for an EBOR it is not required in any documentation, wearing other dress more representative of your role outside of scouting is allowed. A district advancement chair may set the tone by having his volunteers dress in uniform if they are representing, he may answer affirmative or negative if a committee chair calls and asks about wearing uniform, or he may ask his people to look professional as in business formal or Sunday-go-to-meeting.

Same with a scout who shows up in a suit and tie.

Sometimes it's just fine to say, "'round here, we'd like it this way."

The district has that latitude. And honestly, I think it should stay that way. Scouts should have varied experiences in their EBORs, and they should feel free to compare notes and consider their likes/dislikes. One day it may come in handy when they get the call, "We have this Eagle candidate ... would you be free to sit on his board?"

If their all in some form of formal wear that fine I have nothing against that.....I personally feel that because it is a BSA board the Members on it are representatives of the BSA and should be in full uniform. But if youre all going to wear suits and ties thats fine your still putting a good foot forward....its just not the foot id put forward. Id much rather go to an eagle board in a uniform than a suit and tie. Partly because Im not a dressy person and partly because Ive come to love the BSA uniform as a representative of the BSA.

Another person made a good point they dont say the boys have to be in uniform either but if they are not in at least a class A shirt a lot of us will send them away. I know a few boards that get right down to wearing pants socks and hat. They are representing themselves and their troop and the work theyve done when they come up to the board. Why shouldnt we be in uniform to greet them as representatives of the District and the BSA?