Issues & Politics

In answer to many requests, we established a separate forum for these topics. Those not interested can skip this forum instead of spending time reading unwanted messages to identify content.

2942 topics in this forum

• 1 reply
    • 1.1k views
  1. Misuse of the Program 1 2 3 4 5

• 74 replies
    • 5.6k views
    • 5 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 5 replies
    • 63 replies
    • 5.9k views
    • 94 replies
    • 7.7k views
    • 18 replies
    • 4.4k views
    • 12 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 31 replies
    • 3.5k views
    • 39 replies
    • 3.5k views
  2. Troop Committee Vote? 1 2

• 17 replies
    • 6.6k views
    • 6 replies
    • 1.1k views
  3. More rules . . . 1 2 3 4 11

• 150 replies
    • 13k views
    • 44 replies
    • 3.6k views
  4. junior or senior

• 9 replies
    • 1.3k views
  • LATEST POSTS

• From Facebook Commissioner page, asking for input for the upcoming 2024 Guide for Advancement.  Posted April 9, Deadline April 13!
    • I believe scouting teaches youth to be involved and engaged. BSA has Eagle-required merit badges that teach civic engagement: Citizenship in the Community, Nation, World, and Society. Certainly BSA teaches this in a way to find common-ground with others: If you are out in the wilderness with a group you need to work together and solve problems as a group. We are stronger when we work together. If you take a stand as an individual, what are the repercussions to the group? There has to be a good reason and you should have allies who support you. Therefore, I believe the Gold Award project doesn't sound eligible as an Eagle project because it is the work of an individual scout, rather than as a team. Where's the leadership? It's not about politics, as I do not believe the Girl Scout did acted in a political manner. The school board and Board of Supervisors did.  The scout created a program to help her community.  
    • Six Sea Scouts were selected to sail aboard the US Coast Guard Barque Eagle this summer, from August 10-16, sailing from Boston to New London, CT.  👍👍👍👍👍👍 Story at https://seascout.org/news/six-sea-scouts-selected-to-sail-aboard-the-uscg-barque-eagle/
    • So far in 2024, there has been no news regarding our federal Charter-required Report to the Nation though I heard of some Reports to State which BSA National encourages. No word yet of any live feed (e.g. youtube) of any parts of NAM. Let's go digital! I prefer, unfiltered direct conversation with Mr. Krone and Mr. Pounder, preferably with an opportunity to send in our questions and feedback. Please no more filtered,  condescending after event reports - 5 Things You Need to Know About ... My $0.01,
    • In another thread, someone criticized me for being okay with scouters and other adults speaking their mind to my youth. That got translated into allowing “hostile” acts — even though the topic was clearly discussing speech that did not involve any physical threat. Some repliesasserted that its somehow wise to shield a kid from someone who could teach a him/her how to forestall death, but has voiced problems with their membership. Youth have a word for situational ethics: duplicity.
  • Who's Online (See full list)