Misuse of the Program

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anytime a leader knows and understands the methods of Scouting, but chooses to ignore some part of those methods constitutes misuse of the program. For example, Uniform is one of the 8 methods. Choosing to not follow that method, and rationalizing that decision is misuse of the program. "The boy only has $12.50", or "the other boys wear black pants" are rationalizations for the choice to ignore Uniform as one of the eight methods of Scouting.

Previous threads suggest that there is a spectrum of opinion on this. At one end of the spectrum is the view stated by FScouter--essentially that the BSA program is an organic whole, and that deviating from any part of it is misuse of the program. At the other end of the spectrum, some folks can be expected to say that the program is not being "misused" as long as the essential aims of the program are being pursued. I think many people, myself included, find myself somewhere in between. I certainly think the program is being misused if it becomes the personal fiefdom of adult leaders who cavalierly ignore the BSA program--but on the other hand, I wouldn't want to label people as misusers if they mostly follow the program and deviate in small ways (such as precise uniforming). In fact, I think many discussions on this board have suffered from this kind of labelling, coming from both ends of the spectrum. Specific issues should be discussed on their merits, and not on whether they fit into somebody's idea of what somebody else thinks about issues.

Using it for the adults' pleasure rather than with the good of the boys in mind. For any program, if the motive is not for those served, the problems just add up from there. I have heard grumbling in the troop among the adults that certain adults want the program to revolve around them while the others want the program to revolve around what the boys want. Adult don't always play nice :(

"Anytime a leader knows and understands the methods of Scouting, but chooses to ignore some part of those methods constitutes misuse of the program."

That's misapplication of the program, not misuse.

Misuse would be using Scouting to proselytize for a specific religion, political party, or any organization/belief system that is contrary to Scouting.

And. . . . what Laurie said.

Many youth programs are misused by the adults involved.

In youth sports, adults get consumed with the need to win and forget about having fun. Adults get caught up with the idea that "they" are winning the games and forget the players.

Parents are just as bad, expecting the coaches/program managers/leaders to be babysitters. Parents also view sports or Scouting as a road to college for their kids and really don't care if the kid gets anything out of the experience, they just are looking for a scholarship.

When I was a DE of two years tenure, I moved to another district within the same council. Shortly after I started, an Assistant Scoutmaster called me. He wanted to start a new troop at a different chartered organization and had already recruited the necessary 5 boys and the adults to charter.

I talked to the charter partner, who was very excited about this new troop, and to the Scoutmaster of the troop the Assistant Scoutmaster was leaving. The Scoutmaster of the old troop said he didn't have any problems with the Assistant Scoutmaster, but that he planned to stay on as Scoutmaster and the Assistant wanted his own shot at it.

Turns out that something was rotten in the state of Denmark. The Scoutmaster (of the new troop) had a son who wouldn't have passed his board of review for Eagle in the old troop. 6 months after the formation of the new troop, the Kid got his Eagle and the troop dissolved. I think that's a misuse of the program. No, it wasn't a coincidence.

DS

Dad, Mom, and son (16) move to an undisclosed overseas location from an undisclosed location in the continental U.S. Dad and son visit a Troop meeting. Son says he's a Life Scout, wants to transfer in. Dad says he's got adult leadership experience; 3 older sons are all Eagles. SM gives applications to both. Dad turns his in to District office 2 weeks later; DE sends it to us for CC/CO approval. Son doesn't turn one in. Dad's application is processed; never comes to a meeting or activity. DE later says dad tried to register son directly with District as a Lone Scout; DE tells him to register with a Troop near his home (ours).

At recharter time, Dad says he's going to be more active, wants to continue his membership. Following September, son (now 17), shows up at a Troop meeting with dad, asking for application. SM does conference with son. No handbook, no transfer since he's been inactive for two years, no IHR from last Troop. Son says he's 3 MBs and a project shy of completing Eagle requirements -- vague answers to specific questions. Dad says he's going back to their old home following week, will retrieve handbook and IHR while there. Dad tells me he's done his leadership, and the project's "nearly done". SM says "Great, do you have the Eagle Project Workbook?" Dad gives non-responsive answer. SM says in effect "Produce the workbook with necessary signatures or start over".

Just over 6 months to 18th birthday. To play it safe, SM assigns a POR. Meanwhile, dad returns without Eagle Project Workbook, but claims last District Advancement Committee approved it. Repeated attempts to get anyone in last District to confirm it failed. Son is advised to write up the project again, and submit to our District Advancement Committee. DAC recommended additional "content" to make it Eagle-caliber.

One month before 18th birthday. Old SM handed Troop over to new SM a month prior. Son has "mailed it in" for last five months. Project almost done. Son is moving two weeks before 18th birthday, going back to former home.

Did dad do end-runs around everybody? Yes. Was the son coached on how to provide non-responsive answers? Probably. Did dad move the boy back home and play the same game to get the son a conference and BOR before his b'day? Don't know, but that's the way to bet. Was the program misused? I think so.

KS

This is kind of like asking "What is breaking the law?". There are some many lwas covering so many things that listing them all here is not feasible.

Scouting is a vast, multi dimensional program. It has several intertwining elememts. Its use however is to use positive examples, positive activities, positive rewards and positive encouragement to achieve positive goals.

Any behavior that does not fit the use of scouting is misuse of scouting in my opinion.

Bob White

I don't see how a scout purposely using the scouting program in order to improve his college opportunities is misuse of scouting. Should we not want him to go to college? Do we not want scouting to be an asset toward higher education opportunities?

"Misuse would be using Scouting to proselytize for a specific religion". I cannot see the validity of this eiher. The scouting program encourages all religions to use the scouting program as part of their ministry.

The LDS, and Methodist Churches and others,have been extremely successfull in incorporating Scouting to teach and support their religious beliefs.

Both of these points seem more to be positive uses of scouting not a misuse, don't they?

"I don't see how a scout purposely using the scouting program in order to improve his college opportunities is misuse of scouting."

Another example of Bob White deliberately misrepresenting what another said. Where did I say anything about the Scout using the program?

"Both of these points seem more to be positive uses of scouting not a misuse, don't they?"

So you wouldn't mind if the Mormons sent their missionaries out in BSA uniforms? There is a difference between a ministry and proselytizing.

"So you wouldn't mind if the Mormons sent their missionaries out in BSA uniforms? There is a difference between a ministry and proselytizing."

Should a church be allowed to use their youth outreach program to actually reach out to the community? Would I mind?

What I think would be irrelevant since it is not my program. Would the BSA mind? Why would they? The program is structured to allow a charter organization to use the scouting program to promote our shared values. It's what we do, isn't it?

Can't a churches choir be used to draw people to the church? Can't their mens club, and their lay ministers be used. Can't their youth program?

Find me something in the scouting program that says they cannot.