Rules not covered by the Scout Law

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As Monty python would say And now for something completely different!

A Scout is Helpful,

A Scout is Friendly,

Page 61 of the Boy Scout Handbook

"...your Scoutmaster will arrange for your board of review."

Page 122 of the Scoutmaster Handbook

A troop should schedule its boards of review to occur on a regular basis so that the Scouts and leaders plan for them well in advance.

Currently the committee (in the Troop I serve) holds BORs on the first and third meeting night of each month. Once the Scout has his Scoutmaster Conference, The SM and the Scout choose a meeting night to meet with the board. The SM then lets the Advancement chair know what night the scout will do his board. The scout doesnt need to request a board, after all we chose to be there to serve the scout, not the other way around.

It's a helpful, friendly, cooperative, kind of thing. So as I see it, it is covered in the Scout Law.

But that's just me,

Bob White

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Mmm.. Sorry, but the dates of BOR's or the day that a scout must schedule one are not covered by or contained within the Scout Oath and/or Law. I believe the intent of this thread is to demonstrate that the Scout Oath and Law are not the only rules that a troop needs to function. A date of the month or day of the week cannot be cognized directly from the content of the Oath or Law. Such a rule may break or uphold the Law, but it is not a consequence of it.

Hmm, If we are talking about all rules, including national methods or policy or whatever the dodge-word of the moment is, then the structure of the troop itself is not covered by the Law. Scoutmasters, committees, patrols, patrol leaders, PLC's, charter organizations and the like are not discernable from the Law alone. The rank system and even the skills taught are not covered by the Law. The outdoor focus of the Movement is not covered by the Oath or Law. Youth Protection, although in accordance with the Law, is not covered by it. In fact, it may be considered a safeguard for when the Law could be broken. All these things are good and within the context of the Law, but they are something added to it. A scout may be reverent, but that itself doesn't indicate that he must uncover his head upon entering the church and cover it upon entering the synagogue. That would be a local rule, if you will.

I agree with the notion that troops can make way too many rules and burden the scouts unduly with them. There are some rules that should treat adults and youth differently, but for the most part, adults should be willing to suffer the same rules that are imposed on youth. If cell phones are banned, fine. A few adults may carry them for emergencies, but don't find yourself chatting with someone at home when you get bored. If the scouts must use troop tents to preserve campsite space and aesthetics, fine. But do you really need the twelve man tent yourself? Just a thought...

OK How about this,

A Scout is trustworthy, and as leaders we can show that to the Scouts and families by following and delivering a real scouting program as designed by the BSA.

The Scoutmaster Handbook, and Scoutleader training recommend that BORs be done at troop meetings on a regular basis.

Following the scouting program is the trustworthy thing for leaders to do. Isn't it?

Following the policies of the program (YP, Uniforming, advancement, membership), is the obedient thing to do.

The mission of the BSA is to make ethical decisions based on the values of the Oath and Law. Isn't unit leasdership simply a series of ethical decisions? So aren't the Scout Oath and Law directly involved in all elements of troop operation?

(The ways we choose to do those tasks are the outward expression of our inner values)

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

"The Scoutmaster Handbook, and Scoutleader training recommend that BORs be done at troop meetings on a regular basis."

I don't see anything that says that they should be done at troop meetings. Holding them concurrent with troop meetings pulls Scouts out of the program and is counterproductive.

"I don't see anything that says that they should be done at troop meetings. Holding them concurrent with troop meetings pulls Scouts out of the program and is counterproductive."

It's in the Scoutmaster handbook, and in the Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training.

"It's in the Scoutmaster handbook, and in the Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training."

Since the Scoutmaster doesn't conduct the BOR's, I'd be surprised that directions for conducting one would be in his handbook. However, I did look in my Scoutmaster Handbook and all I could find was a line on the "troop meeting plan" for AFTER the meeting, "The troop committee conduct a board of review." That isn't during the troop meeting.

In any case, I guess that we need to reword our policies. Right now, the Scout tells the SM that he want a Conference for advancement and gets pointed at the Advancement Chair who lines up the committee members for the BOR, the Scout and the SM are informed of the date. The SM holds his conference and then walks the Scout down the hall where he is turned over to the SPL. The SPL does an inspection on the Scout and then introduces him to the board.

I suppose that we should change it to the Scout requests a conference and that is scheduled with a BOR to follow if needed. The result is the same, just the words will be different.

If you review my posts in this thread you will see that I never said "during" the meeting. I said "at " the meeting. You assumed it was during.

You say the results are the same only the wording is different. Do the ends justify the means? Aren't the methods and ideals of scouting the elements we use to achieve the results? They are as important as the results themselves. It is not just a difference in wording. It is a difference in attitude and approach. It's the scouting difference.

Bob White

Agreed Buffalo2,

The point is that the program guides us to make the BORs reular and frequent and suggests they be done the same place and nights as troop meetins.

Also that they be arranged by the SM. The Scout shouldn't have to request a service from us. We are there to provide the service to them. We need to remember who is working for whom here.

Bob White

"The point is that the program guides us to make the BORs reular and frequent and suggests they be done the same place and nights as troop meetins."

Maybe those who write the books live in a different world. Our troop meetings break up at 9 PM. If we had BORs after that, we could be there until 11 or later. Makes lots of sense.

As for who requests it? Why should the Scoutmaster do it? One of the purposes of the program is for Scouts to learn to do things for themselves.

Maybe we will change our wording. Maybe the Scout will ask the Scoutmaster for a conference. The Scoutmaster will tell the Advancement Chair, who will then schedule a BOR and tell the Scoutmaster the time and place. The SM will call the Scout and tell him when and where, conduct the conference and then send the Scout down the hall to the waiting tribunal. I'll run this past the SM and Advancement Chair. Gotta stay in line with the words from Texas.