The eyes of Texas are upon you...

United Way Capital Area to stop funding Boy Scouts

76-year partnership ends over Scouts exclusion of gays

By Andrea Ball

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Thursday, November 13, 2003

After a 76-year partnership, the United Way Capital Area and the Boy Scouts are parting ways because the Scouts organization excludes gays.

"Our value is that we raise money from the entire community," said Clarke Heidrick, chairman of the United Way board. "We need to allocate the money to agencies that serve the entire community."

Boy Scouts of America, Capital Area Council, will lose approximately $157,000 a year, a little more than 5 percent of its $2.9 million budget. The group will ask its supporters to make up that loss with additional contributions, said Bruce Walcutt, the organization's president.

"Frankly, the Boy Scouts are a resourceful bunch," he said. "That's what we're taught to be. We'll continue to keep our programs alive."

Under the terms of an agreement unanimously approved Wednesday by the United Way board, the Scouts will remain a partner agency until June 30, 2004 and will receive about $157,000. Then -- although it will no longer be affiliated with the United Way -- the group will receive another $157,000 for 2005 as transition funding, Heidrick said. Then funding will stop.

Both sides say the split is amicable. The Boy Scouts have been a United Way Capital Area partner since 1927.

"The Scouts have conducted themselves very honorably during this process," Heidrick said.

Wednesday's decision comes after more than two years of discussion.

In June 2000, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the Boy Scouts have the right to exclude gays.

That decision spurred more than 50 local United Ways to change their relationship with the Scouts.

Some immediately cut ties with the group. Some phased out funding.

Others started working with Learning for Life, a Boy Scout-affiliated organization that allows gays to participate in its programs.

Many have remained firm supporters of the Scouts, which provides educational programs focused on character, citizenship and personal fitness.

United Way of America, the parent organization to the 1,400 affiliates across the country, did not take a position on the issue.

"We're convinced that's a decision that needs to be made on the local level," said Philip Jones, spokesman for the United Way of America.

After the 2000 court ruling, United Way Capital Area -- which raises money for 44 health and human service organizations -- scrutinized requirements for its agencies.

In March 2002, the board adopted an inclusion policy requiring all partner agencies to serve people without regard to issues such as race, color, gender or sexual orientation.

Of the 44 groups, 43 were in compliance with the policy. But the Boy Scouts organization was in violation because it does not accept "avowed homosexuals," according to the Scout's literature.

United Way and Boy Scouts officials met several times, then agreed to a friendly divorce.

Donors -- who can use the United Way to donate to any 501©(3) nonprofit registered with the IRS -- will still be able to give to the Scouts through their workplace campaigns.

But the Scouts will not be entitled to money raised through the United Way's community investment fund, which totaled $4.1 million last year.

The Scouts received about $157,000 from that fund in 2002.

"It's a big deal," Walcutt said. "We have a lot of supporters in Central Texas and we're going to ask them to do more."

Randall Ellis, executive director of the Lesbian/Gay Rights Lobby of Texas, called the split a "bold step" for the United Way.

"It will go a long way to fostering tolerance and acceptance in Central Texas," he said.

Others say the United Way's decision smacks of political pressure that will hurt families.

"I think what it says about the United Way is that they are easily intimidated by a very politically active homosexual lobby that pushes a homosexual agenda," said Cathie Adams, president of the Texas Eagle Forum, a Dallas-based conservative group. "It's a travesty."

Heidrick said the United Way did not receive pressure to cut ties with the Boy Scouts.

The group cannot determine whether it has lost donations because of its affiliation with the Scouts, he said.

The Boy Scouts will remain a partner agency of the Georgetown Area United Way and the United Way of Hays County.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, although I hate to see the loss of funds....I'm OK with this. I quit giving to the United Way long ago because I did not agree with some of the organizations they funded. I give my money directly to the charities of my choice instead. That way I can fund BSA and not fund abortion.

Cooling down somewhat,,

I'm in the Capitol Area Council..

But, you know it's really about more than the money. A partnership since 1927!!!!! Surely you can begin to estimate the countless hours of community service done by scouts/scouters in 76 years!?! Now, because we will not compromise, "united way" wants nothing to do with us. When was the last time you saw a gay-activist group roll up in the aftermath of a hurricane and start cleaning up and serving breakfast? Not as an individual, but as a concerted group. The chairman of the uw said " we need to allocate the money to agencies that serve the entire community." Food collected by SFF is distributed to all. No one says if you're gay, you can't have this can of spam. No one says after an eagle project, "If you're gay, you can't use this wheelchair ramp." So I question his sincerity. I probably should not even post this, but I've gotta "let her rip"

bd

Big_Dog says:

The chairman of the uw said " we need to allocate the money to agencies that serve the entire community." Food collected by SFF is distributed to all. No one says if you're gay, you can't have this can of spam. No one says after an eagle project, "If you're gay, you can't use this wheelchair ramp."

No, but if you're gay and try to join the Scouts, the Scout say "you can't join." That's the problem.

No, but if you're gay and try to join the Scouts, the Scout say "you can't join." That's the problem.

That's not where I'm going.... the man said "Serve" not "join". The real issue is if you can't accept this, you shouldn't exist. How non-liberal can you be?

That has to be the most fair and even-handed article of its type that I have seen. I don't agree with the United Way, but at least the article simply stated both positions and in a factual manner.

Personally, I think when United Way funding falls to 5% of the council's budget or less, it becomes more of a pain to follow United Way rules -- fundraising blackout during their campaign, suppling scout volunteers and professionals to U.W. campaign kickoff and event flag ceremonies, etc. than it's worth. Capital Area Council will have to work a little harder after 2005 to raise it's revenue, but will do so with less restrictions.

The United Way will learn that the silent majority is much more supportive of the BSA than the loud minority

DS

"Our value is that we raise money from the entire community," said Clarke Heidrick, chairman of the United Way board. "We need to allocate the money to agencies that serve the entire community."

I seriously doubt that every other program the United Way supports serves the ENTIRE community. Besides, the BOY Scouts already excluded 51% of the youth in membership. What matter does it make that 3% of adults are not allowed admittance?

While it may seem that this is all fine and dandy.

I fail to see how it will in any way foster tolerance and acceptance.

Big-Dog makes a lot of sense.

It seems to me that when Scouting is doing what it does best - Good Work and Good Works in and for the community. That is fine.

But when it comes down to a few dollars we stop being the good guys.

It would be great if the Capital Area Council could raise twice as much without the United Way. It would be even better if all those who stop donating to the United Way would write to them and say why they have stopped.

We in our area are lucky in that the United Way knows if they mess with the BSA, that the press would have a field day. Local businesses would stop collecting the pledges.

Times are tough enough now everyone is watching where their money is going. The people who give the money, not some board will have the last word.

I bet if that were to happen we would see a new take on "Tolerance and Acceptance."

Eamonn

Someone made a good point about the United Way being able to choose whom they wish to associate with. If it is not Boy Scouts, then so be it! Scouts decides the requirements for being involved and the uw has that same right. Now that I've cooled down somewhat, I see that. But rest assured I will do everything I possibly can to see that funding come from other sources. The company I work for is a BIG supporter of the uw. I will not be rude, but I will make sure these red-necks, good ole boys, young professionals, mid-level management and all the rest know how the uw feels about scouts! I will take to our church, a challenge not to let the great work done by Scouts lag for lack of funding. FOS just gained a willing volunteer. I pray that Scouts will not knuckle under to the pressure from the politically correct! Just saw figures where our little district sold about $10k more popcorn this year! It's a start.

Y'all Come Visit Texas

bd

I say if the UW doesn't want to be associated with BSA then good riddance. The 5 percent can be made through firing a few worthless DEs (Gottacha DS :) ) Just kidding.

The money can be made up....as stated in the thread....BSA is very resouceful.

Last night I was helping my DE with some last minute FOS calls to those that gave last year and haven't been contacted this year. Brought in a nice chunk of change for 45 minutes of work.

Cary P

Adrianvs says:

Besides, the BOY Scouts already excluded 51% of the youth in membership. What matter does it make that 3% of adults are not allowed admittance?

Adrian, would it matter if you were, say a member of an ethnic group that made up 3 percent of the population, and it was that 3 percent that was being excluded.

As for the "boy" part, it's a different issue. The 51 percent of youths who are not allowed in the Boy Scouts are allowed in the Girl Scouts. And if you count Venturing, over age 14 the percent goes down to zero.