Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decision delayed

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Decision delayed

    The BSA has delayed a decision on the membership policy issue until May:

    http://news.yahoo.com/boy-scouts-del...153238089.html

    I fear they have created a huge mess by creating the expectation that a decision was going to be made this week, and then delaying it -- unless all sides wait with calm and patience for the decision, but that's not what I predict.

  • #2
    My groundhog predicts 16 more weeks of bickering.

    Comment


    • packsaddle
      packsaddle commented
      Editing a comment
      Someone has smuggled a short bit of audio from their meeting:
      http://www.audiomicro.com/tracks/dialog/512628

  • #3
    Write something here

    Comment


  • #4
    Wow, National never disappoints me in its capacity to rise to new levels of disappointment. These guys--and the board--are professionals? A total cock-up. The worst of both worlds--just anger both sides. Can we just resolve this and move on?

    Comment


    • #5
      Write something here

      Comment


    • #6
      Sorry for the HTML--I am having a hard time with this new software. No emphasis implied.

      Comment


      • Merlyn_LeRoy
        Merlyn_LeRoy commented
        Editing a comment
        Copy-pasting adds the unparsed squarebracket-HTML; you can re-edit your old post and remove it.

    • #7
      Is anyone surprised by them not making a decision...business as usual. Why do we, the heart and soul of the BSA put up with this kind of stuff. Can we fire these bums?

      Comment


      • Papadaddy
        Papadaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        No. We are their customers, not their employers.

    • #8
      I'm afraid you guys are exactly right. This was a very ill-informed move on the part of the BSA. All of us are hanging by our thumbs now and fielding questions we don't have the answers to.

      Comment


      • #9
        If I am following all of this correctly, at least we have a survey of the council positions, something I have never seen before.

        Comment


        • #10
          Yes Kahuna, and in my troop's case I am expecting some pointed questions from our CO, in particular.

          Comment


          • #11
            No matter how you feel on the issue, Merlyn nails it for the win.

            This may be the only time ever I agree with you, Merlyn.

            Comment


            • #12
              Agreed. Hugh PR mess. This keeps the spotlight on the BSA on this issue for months. Both sides will harden their positions and make the ultimate decision more difficult to take for either side. Makes a schism in scouting more likely than less.

              SA

              Comment


              • #13
                Again the BSA cannot seem to handle issues. It made it seem as if a final decision was imminent, and then kicked the can. It would have been better served to have no floated the trial ballon and done things quietly. Hopefully with a few more months to think about it they will make the best possible decision. In the meantime, they've failed to solve any of the issues at hand.

                Comment


                • #14
                  Scoutingagain is correct--it will only make things worse.

                  Comment


                  • #15
                    Look, I have my gripes about how national and local councils operate as much as the next scouter. But the BSA is between a rock and a hard place right now. It's obvious......at least to me....that the possible change in policy is financially driven. BSA has always enjoyed support by the business community. Many of those businesses are politcally correct because to do otherwise would make them a target of activists just like the BSA. So in order to keep vocal customers happy, said businesses start telling the BSA that until they change their traditional ways, they can no longer support them financially. BSA has to make a decision of how to keep the lights on and starts mulling over the change. The other side of the equation is that the majority of the charters are churches....some of who might support the change and some who might not. Now they have to consider how much loss of membership they might incur as opposed to how much financial support they are losing. It's a tightrope they are walking. I would assume that the delay is due to having heard from the rank and file membership who say they will leave. I don't envy the decision makers.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X