Forums down over the weekend

A new banner ad that I haven't seen before the reboot shows pictures of older women with the tagline, "We don't want younger men...we want YOU!"

Given the context that this is a forum devoted to scouting, that's kind of creepy.

I also am getting the message "Reported Attack Site!" I do not have Norton, I believe the message is coming from Firefox itself. I had to go past a big warning screen to even get here. I hope I made the right decision.

Mike, as for "We don't want younger men...we want YOU!", I first saw that one several weeks ago and posted about it in Issue and Politics, I believe. It is just an ad, although I suppose you (or at least I) could classify it as "malware" (meaning bad ware) in the sense that it is one more reminder that I am no longer a "younger man." I agree with you that it is kind of odd to see that kind of ad on a Scouting site, but as has been explained in the past, the site owner has nothing to do with the ad selection. I was also told by someone in this forum that I was getting that ad because of sites I have visited, but I really don't think so. I don't go on dating sites, much less upper-middle-aged women looking for upper-middle-aged men. Hmm, if my wife saw that last sentence it might create some misunderstanding. I don't go on dating sites.

Google is also warning that the site may be harmful to your computer. Checking the details, they mention an issue from September which was cleared and say there were no current attacks, which makes no sense - if there were no current attacks, why warn now?

JoeBob,

Regarding the annoying popup. I too was getting a pop-up in the lower left hand corner. The conents of the pop-up was getting blocked by my anti-virus.

I used an anti amlware tool called Hitman Pro, and it seems to have worked. It should be available on your favorite shareware site.

***I'm not an IT professional. Just reporting my experience***