sad news, hard to share

Tonight I learned that a scout in my son's former troop died unexpectedly earlier this week. The circumstances are unclear and in any regard really don't matter. This young man was a role model and friend to my own son when my son joined boy scouts. He, and his family, always welcomed others into the group in a kind way. They've had their hard times, but I always admired that they pulled together. I sat on this young man's eagle board some years back. He was a quiet leader, but a leader all the same. I remember that in response to a tough question about why he should be an eagle, he thought for a minute or two and then said "because whatever else, at least I never quit trying." My family mourns his passing and I cannot even begin to imagine his own family's grief. My thoughts are with them.

I hope you will tell your young men that whether they realize it right now or not, they are precious to their families, friends, teachers, and communities. It is hard to grow up in today's (or any day's) world. I fear many young men and women don't realize how beloved they are. Please tell them.

Sorry to hear of your loss so close to home.

We've had to endure a few of our own, and not a one of them sets well. These boys grow into your life, and they take a piece of you with them when they pass on before you.

Of all the griefs there are in Scoutin', I don't reckon a one of 'em matches up to the tears that come when we lose one of "our" kids. And no grief in da world is greater than that of a parent who loses a child.

But I reckon the reason for that is our capacity to love, eh? To care so genuinely and deeply for the young men we take into God's hills and valleys, and with whom we share some of life's hills and valleys. Grief is perhaps the deepest, most genuine form of love.

Thank you and your son for caring so deeply about a fellow scout and his family. In the months ahead, I hope that care and kindness brings some solace to the boy's parents, and to you.

And may the Great Scoutmaster of all such great scouts be with you and all of your former troop, and hold yeh all deeply in His embrace. Good night, and farewell to our fellow He has called home.

B

Some years back I realized that I was guilty of not telling my son that I loved him.

It hit me that it was strange that I never ever leave the house without telling HWMBO that I love her, yet I'd just tell my son to drive carefully and not to drink and drive.

I do spend a lot of time with my dogs and tell them how good they are, yet I wasn't telling my son how proud I am of him and the good work that he is doing.

"Precious". Is a wonderful word that we just don't use often enough when it comes to our own children. We need to use it more.

I am of course saddened to hear of the loss of any young person. Things are just not supposed to go that way.

Over the years that I've been involved working with kids, my heart has been broken a few times by the death of really great kids.

I've never and hope with all my heart that it never ever happens to me, I just don't know what I'd do? So when it happens to others, I have to admit to being at a real loss of what to say and what to do.

I think it's then when I feel fourtunate that I have my religion and can fall back on it. Even if at times me and God are not seeing things eye to eye.

Ea.

I had always been something of a stoic when it came to death around me until I learned that a scout from my boyhood troop was killed by a drunk driver at age 29 when he stopped to help a vehicle broke down in the road.

I remember trying to call our retired SM and just breaking down as I told him of the passing.

It has happened a couple of times since then and I have trouble connecting my emotional value to Scouting but I know it looms large in my life.

Pray for all of our boys and leaders.

Lisa, I am very, very sorry.

I dread that happening. After a while you know so many boys...you see them grow up; they become part of your life.

My brother died in his teens and I saw what it did to my parents and the family. I wouldn't wish it on nobody. Like a nuclear bomb. I will pray for them.

That was one heck of a good BOR answer though. That is a good story--he got the point.

Some people live a long time and little is left to mark their passing; some boys leave early and have touched others.

Again I am sorry--it sounds so inadequate.