xmas party contigent on community service

Yep- the 'xmas party' is only for those able to go man the red kettles during a limited window of time. School obligations prevent this for us. My boy has more service hours than 1/2 the troop combined. I dont like the idea of being bullied to get into the bell ringers party but was met with(SM & SPL) that is the way it always has been...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this your first Christmas with the troop? Sounds like the are into a tradition, you just found out about..

Hard to kill tradition, but maybe you can nudge them into changing it a little.. Such as opening it up to accept "something" that constitutes holiday related community service.. Maybe your sons other community service can fall into that, or you can ring bells in a more convient place at a more convient time.. Or if your church carols around the hospitals.. Or help at a nursing home the elderly get their christmas cards out.. There is so many, many options available to offer service hours to that are holiday related..

All these grand little by-laws units make up, that then get stuck into a feeling of tradition or "We've alway done it this way".. Probably dates back to a SM's grand idea, that few of the scouts were volunteerily signing up for..

The fact that you mention that the SPL was involved in the decision (or at least in the explanation of the decision to you) seems like a positive sign. Perhaps your son can discuss with his PL or the PLC about whether the policy on the Christmas party is justified or not.

Your post wasn't really clear on the situation, so I can't begin to imagine whether or not the policy is "good" for the troop, but at least it sounds like there's an opportunity for the youth leadership to evaluate the situation, and adjust if they see the need.

"We've always done it that way ..." is the famous call of the Lemming.

"We've always has some o-ring leakage ..." - Challenger

"We've always had some tiles damaged ..." - Columbia

"We've always flown formations towards the crowds." - Italian Air Force

If the best answer someone can give is "We've always done it that way" then that is precisely the reason something should change.(This message has been edited by Engineer61)

There are also some people who do not volunteer or donate to the Salvation Army because it is a Christian church and they aren't Christian. Is this troop's practice coercing Scouts to aid a religious organization that they may disagree with?

I disagree with that point of view, but it's perhaps a legitimate question to raise.

Sincerely yours,

a devil's advocate

Or da troop feels that the party is a natural reward for putting in the time and effort on a particular group service project. Something special for those guys who came out, and isn't really willin' to change just because someone wants to come without helping out with the work.

Or da CO is the Salvation Army and they set the expectations. They want their troop to help with their fundraising, and aren't interested in providing a party for boys who don't help out.

Or....

I volunteer for lots of stuff, eh? If I give a lot to my professional organization, I might get an award at a professional association dinner. I don't really expect I'll be entitled to a party at my church. And vice versa. Congrats to your son on his service to the community, but that comes with its own reward, eh? He shouldn't be expecting someone else to throw him a party for service he hasn't done with them.

It's an odd world when people are called "bullies" for throwin' a party for their volunteers. :p

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Thanks for all of the advice. The party is a reward for those that help with one thing. I will suggest to the PLC and /or committee that it the name be changed to reflect that. Maybe invite everyone but those that were coerced(rang the bells) get free pizza or something. Who do I approach( committee or PLC)? The commitee paid for the party space and yes this our 1st year and my partner is ready to quit cause of this mess! Shortridge- the troop is just coercing the boys to volunteer, They dont even know the Salvation army is a relogous organzation. I just do not like the strongarm for 'volunteering' and my son doesnt understand either-

Who do I approach( committee or PLC)

Your son, the Scout, should work with his PL and PLC if he feels that the current policy is not fair.

Changing the name of the party seems fair, if it's a big issue for you.

I'm a little surprised to see the word "coerce" juxtaposed with "community service." I'm guessing the issue runs deeper than just a Christmas party...

My sons do various color guard volunteering at the 4th, Memorial, vets Day when they can. Occasionally a event sponsor, say the VFW, may offer the boys pizza or hotdogs or stay for the picnic. Some times they "get" nothing.

Other times we have a work day at the Scout Hut. We might throw out some old scout gear. Boys who are working that day might get first dibs on an old flashlight or spork. Or the SM buys the PLC pizza but on other projects the non-PLC POR guys work and get nothing but an "attaboy".

Seems like it is just luck of the draw. You might get something for service but that is not the point; no one is entitled to it.

I see this too much at local community efforts. Come to the city tree planting, work for 40 minutes and get hotdogs, a concert, T-shirts and prizes. My wife has stopped going 'cause she thinks we should spend the money and time just planting more trees.

Is the reward or thanks system arbitrary? Probably. Fair? Probably not. Happens all the time. At my kids school get an A average cut in line at the cafeteria first. By son has learning disabilities and is taking regular classes. He works very, very hard and gets C's and B's. Best he can get but he will never get to cut in line.

I focus on knowing my boy is doing the right thing, I am proud of him, and let him know. Service is its own reward. Anything else is extra.

It's kinda sad. Most boys would volunteer -- party or not. And the Salvation Army folks would be a little bothered that a boy was missing out because he didn't ring a bell.

You're probably in the right that it should not be called a troop activity.

But, it's your son's problem not yours. If he thinks it's unfair he can bring it up with his PL or SPL. If nothing changes he can bring it up at his next board of review and tell the adults just so. If he works hard he can become PL and SPL and make activities on his own terms.

He can also vote with his feet. Although I'd hold off on giving him that option until you're sure it's really eating at him.

Didn't I read something about Scouts in Uni are not supposed to "ring the bell" at a kettle, but out of uni (in 'mufti'?) was alright, but other "service" projects were encouraged?

http://www.scouting.org/FILESTORE/marketing/pdf/02-776.pdf

That's the only thing I can find right now...

S/A are really good guys, I always dump all my change in the ketttle as I pass...

Thanks again to all, I read in our council stuff that scouts were not allowed to solict money in uniform, so very good point ssscout. It is what it is. A reward for 1 service event and not a years worth of scouting service to the patrol, troop and community. I know we all do things without expectations but these scouts are still children. We are adults here on this board not children. Children dont always understand do they?

Maybe as someone said, not calling it the troop xmas party.. But something like the "Bell Ringers Party"..

I understand pizza or other goodies during or immediately after the work.. I think we have had something like ice cream or candy treats at a meeting for after a service project only for the scouts at the service project, when the turn out was disappointingly low.. To make at point to the boys that did not attend, as well as reward the boys that did and ended up working twice as hard due to fewer hands helping..

But, don't understand not welcoming all members of the troop to what is labeled a troop christmas party ..

True.. coerced is sort of strong. But it still might be just the party, and the feeling of being left out of something that you feel should be open to all members, and not based on a reward for a service rendered.. A feeling of alienation if you don't do something.

Take Beavah's example:

I volunteer for lots of stuff, eh? If I give a lot to my professional organization, I might get an award at a professional association dinner. I don't really expect I'll be entitled to a party at my church. And vice versa.

So if the church does christmas caroling and throws a Hot coca & cookies party afterward for the carolers, I do not think people would feel they were coerced.. But, if the church does christmas caroling and states only those who participated in the caroling are invited to the Christmas eve service, you might feel you are being "coerced" to do christmas caroling..

Now I don't think a Christmas eve service is in the same league as a christmas party, but couldn't quite think of anything that raised the bar from Hot cocoa / cookies to an event that normally you expect the door should be open to all members..