Since BSA does not endorse holding two positions of responsibility at the same time, I doubt that the purpose of the cord is to enable the uniform to show the den chief position simultaneous with a different position. There isn't any indication that a den chief should choose one or the other.

FScouter has stated (more than once) he believes the BSA doesn't endorse a Scout holding two POR's at the same time. I don't believe I have ever heard or read anything that backs this up. Has anyone else?

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

I haven't had time to dig through all of my materials but . . .

I remember in committee training we were told that it is best if each person wears one hat. Meaning you don't have CC/Treas or ASM/Secretary because each job takes enough time on its own.

I would extend that to the youth. If you have two time consuming jobs, you cannot give your full attention to either. It may not be prohibited but I wouldn't encourage it.

The problem is some people will take on to much thus over-extending themselves and not doing a good job of either,

BUT,

most of the time there is a shortage of parents willing to step forward thus forcing some of us to do more than one job.

I'm sure a lot of this dual role activity depends on the individual and the amount of time they have to devote themselves to the task at hand. I haven't found being a SM for a troop, a CA for a venturing crew and a chaperone/counselor for my local church youth group to be a problem. This summer I'll be spending the full week at camp with the troop, attending a national event out east with the crew and a week long mission trip to Kansas City with the church kids. And how long has this been going on? Hmmm, over 10 years now. Maybe I ought to burn out some day, but until then I seem to be having way too much fun. How do others feel about my multiple roles? District Award of Merit, Crew Advisor Award of Merit and Crew Advisor Key all this year. I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone, but it is possible to do a good job in multiple roles.

Stosh

I can see where there is a difference of opinion.

How can we tell a boy that he cannot be a Patrol leader AND a Den Chief. Or a quartermaster and librarian.

Every pack/troop/crew probably has at least one adult who has dual roles. I think that if a boy is to assume 2 POR, then he should do so only with the advise of the SPL, JASM or the SM. If the boy is the type who can do both jobs successfully and with no problems to all of his other responsibilities, including school, then I think that he should be good with it.

Don't hold one back because you THINK there may be a regulation about it. If there is one then that would be something to think about. But if you are like myself, COR and Den leader among other things, then it would be hard for me to go through and tell a boy e can only do one thing.

YIS

SctDad

Depends on Troop conditions and SM perogative, I think.

Son's Troop is presently small but fairly active. Many inexperienced young Scouts, so SPL is presently also QM. Our two PL are both barely FC, so the other PoR are also spread thin. Librarian, Historian are both SC. SPL/QM will pass off the QM when another FC is created. SM decision there.

Nobody wants to be CA or Bugler. (Troop clarinetist? doesn't sound quite right, but no brass players in the Troop presently....)

I dont beleve ive ever seen anything from the BSA about this topic, my personal opinion would be that a boy realy should hold only one position at a time. however I dont think that it should apply to DC. to explan in all other positions the boy has dutys to his troop that happen mostly at a troop meeting or in prep for a meeting. in contrast with a DC the boy is going to a sepret meeting and in most cases the den leader has all ready done the work. witch puts the boy just there to support the den.

so I think the two actualy go to gether vary well. a patrol leader needs the skills of a DC and a DC needs the skills of a PL to do his job efectivly

I have never heard of any flat-out prohibition of a Scout holding two jobs in the troop. There are some combinations which would not make sense (eg., PL & APL; SPL & QM) but others could be easily combined, especially in a small troop. I see nothing objectionable to a fellow being a PL and a Den Chief at the same time. Or even SPL and Bugler.

Of course, only one patch can be worn at a time.

Let's say a boy holds two PORs simultaneously -- let's assume he does a great job with one POR but fails miserably at the other.

At the end of his tenure (let's assume the two PORs end on the same date), he asks his SM (or whoever supervised him) to sign-off his advancement credit (4 or 6 months in a POR).

Does he get the sign-off because he successfully completed one POR, or is he denied the sign-off because he failed the other POR?

in that case yes I am not afraid to tell him no I wont sign it off. however, im going to take into acount how hard he tryed, and if he asked for help.

the other thing to consider is that hopefuly we know are boys well enuff to know who can handle two jobs, and who can't. Im not going to tell them you can only do one, but I do love leading questions. Im not saying thet every scout needs two PORs Im just saying that it can be done.