When are Patrol Yells given?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many suggestions, dare I say answers, have been given by our fellow scouters here.  A Scout Salute to them for being Helpful to another scouter. IMHO, time for the OP's scouts to experiment with

Oh my heavens,  sometimes its necessary to look into your own imagination and turn to your own ideas and close the books.  This yelling and cheering and patrol flags and names and ribbons are all simp

Hmmmmmmm........the answer to your question is yes.  You do allow them to figure out the knots themselves.  Older kids who have know how to tie knots should be instructing younger or less experienced

53 minutes ago, Mrjeff said:

I haven't criticized,  berated,  talked down or otherwise berated you.

Except "Oh my heavens,  sometimes its necessary to look into your own imagination and turn to your own ideas and close the books,” which is certainly talking down to me, and “Its just that simple, introduce the concept and stand back and watch,” when I have said multiple times that I’ve repeatedly done precisely that, with no results.

But I’m not talking just about you, but about the many people here, who all know the answer to the question, “How does your SPL cause the patrols to give their patrol yells during opening ceremonies?” but instead of answering me, insult me and downvote me to oblivion—anything except answering the question.

Except the honorable Mr. HashTagScouts, who actually answered the question. I was hoping other people had other examples, but apparently all they offer is obfuscation and implications that I’m stupid or unimaginative for not knowing the answer to a question that they know the answer to but refuse to tell me.

I have answered your question

No you haven’t. Here’s what an answer looks like: 

Meeting opening- after Pledge is said (add in whatever works for your Troop after Pledge- recite Scout Law, Outdoor Code, etc.):

SPL: Time for rollcall- Bacon Ninja Patrol?

BN Patrol Leader: Bacon Ninja Patrol all present or accounted for [salutes SPL]

Bacon Ninja Patrol members [in unison]: Sizzle-sizzle- pow!

SPL: Screaming Owl Patrol?

SO Patrol Leader: Screaming Owl Patrol all present or accounted for [salutes SPL]

Screaming Owl Patrol members [in unison]: Who! Who!

Anyone who actually knows an answer to this question has the obvious ability to answer the question in this way, except for however their troop does it. So everyone (except HashTagScouts) either knows an answer to the question and aren’t divulging it for some reason, or do not know the answer, and are misleadingly implying that they do.

I have absolutely no idea why anyone would do this.

Edited by Calion
  • Downvote 1
40 minutes ago, MattR said:

Is it time to lock this thread?

Possibly. I’ve gotten one answer, and I suppose it’s hopeless to believe that any of these other folks will ever give me another one.

It seems to have the highest number of down votes per post

Yes. I will remember that this forum downvotes people who ask questions and don’t accept unresponsive answers. Very “Helpful."

Edited by Calion
  • Downvote 1
14 minutes ago, Calion said:

I’ve gotten one answer, and I suppose it’s hopeless to believe that any of these other folks will ever give me another one.

This is blatantly not true. Many have given you answers. Your response has been “but how?”  

• Downvote 1
22 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

Your response has been “but how?”  

Since “how?” was literally the only question to begin with, answers that do not answer “how?” are, obviously, not answers.

• Downvote 1

You keep saying how and people tell you how and you don’t like it. 2 days after your question, the first clear how was given. It is so obvious, no one thinks it needs to be said, but tron did. 

Before it gets locked, I will again tell you how. If this doesn’t satisfy you, I don’t think anything will and I think there is some major communication issues. 

These are just examples. Like life and Scouts, it will be choose your own adventure. Lead by the SPL, mentored by the SM.

I don’t know how we could be clearer and at least 5 have given you good answers. One more try and I am done. 

———

When - anytime a troop gathers up and patrol names are given. This is at the discretion of the SPL. 

How - until it becomes habit, the SPL says “PL’s, assemble in patrol lines. Patrol A PL, please confirm everyone is here and give your patrol yell.”

——-

That is the when and the how. No more and no less  

@Tron

Basically anytime the patrol name is called out is when the patrol yell should be used.

For example: when the SPL calls on a PL he should also tack on the patrol name ; and then the patrol would yell whatever they're yell is. It would be an esprits de corps moment that also could just be fellowship/horsing around. Think a scenario like the following:

SPL: "PL John Smith from the Rocket Patrol is going to lead todays rank advancement and teach the square knot."
Rocket Patrol: "To the moon!"”

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

You keep saying how and people tell you how and you don’t like it. 2 days after your question, the first clear how was given. It is so obvious, no one thinks it needs to be said, but tron did. 

Before it gets locked, I will again tell you how. If this doesn’t satisfy you, I don’t think anything will and I think there is some major communication issues. 

These are just examples. Like life and Scouts, it will be choose your own adventure. Lead by the SPL, mentored by the SM.

I don’t know how we could be clearer and at least 5 have given you good answers. One more try and I am done. 

———

When - anytime a troop gathers up and patrol names are given. This is at the discretion of the SPL. 

How - until it becomes habit, the SPL says “PL’s, assemble in patrol lines. Patrol A PL, please confirm everyone is here and give your patrol yell.”

——-

That is the when and the how. No more and no less  

@Tron

Basically anytime the patrol name is called out is when the patrol yell should be used.

For example: when the SPL calls on a PL he should also tack on the patrol name ; and then the patrol would yell whatever they're yell is. It would be an esprits de corps moment that also could just be fellowship/horsing around. Think a scenario like the following:

SPL: "PL John Smith from the Rocket Patrol is going to lead todays rank advancement and teach the square knot."
Rocket Patrol: "To the moon!"”

Hey! You finally gave an answer!!!! Was that really so hard? "SPL says “PL’s, assemble in patrol lines. Patrol A PL, please confirm everyone is here and give your patrol yell.”” Is that how it’s done in your troop?

Personally, I think that’s kind of awkward, but who cares! It’s an answer, only the second one that has been given (Tron’s answer has nothing to do with opening ceremonies, of course).

To show that it is extremely easy to give an actual answer to this question, here’s @HashTagScouts' answer, the first and until now the only genuine answer that has been given:

Meeting opening- after Pledge is said (add in whatever works for your Troop after Pledge- recite Scout Law, Outdoor Code, etc.):

SPL: Time for rollcall- Bacon Ninja Patrol?
BN Patrol Leader: Bacon Ninja Patrol all present or accounted for [salutes SPL]
Bacon Ninja Patrol members [in unison]: Sizzle-sizzle- pow!
SPL: Screaming Owl Patrol?
SO Patrol Leader: Screaming Owl Patrol all present or accounted for [salutes SPL]
Screaming Owl Patrol members [in unison]: Who! Who!

Our troop has done it this way for years, no prompt is needed for the Patrol Yell, but the SPL could have a prompt to ask after the PL salutes them "Patrol yell" as a cue.

Edited by Calion
  • Downvote 2
1 hour ago, mrjohns2 said:

It is so obvious, no one thinks it needs to be said,

What's really interesting about this, is that even though it’s so obvious no one needs to say it, the answer you gave (although it was in fact an attempt at an answer to my question, which I appreciate) was pretty terrible. I don’t believe for a second that your troop actually does it that way.

Which just reveals the reason I asked the question to begin with: This is not easy or obvious. It requires thought to come up with something potentially workable, and trial-and-error to find out if it’s actually workable. It’s pretty obvious to me that none of you, with the exception of @HashTagScouts, do this in your troops. You think it’s easy and obvious, because you haven’t actually done it.

So what I’ve discovered here is that Scouters (at least on this site) will give insistent, superior advice on things they have absolutely no idea about, but just assume, based on their lack of experience, is easy and obvious.

And that is a valuable lesson.

Edited by Calion
  • Downvote 1
2 hours ago, MattR said:

Is it time to lock this thread?

It seems to have the highest number of down votes per post.

How about, for everyone that's frustrated, walk away.

Many suggestions, dare I say answers, have been given by our fellow scouters here.  A Scout Salute to them for being Helpful to another scouter.

IMHO, time for the OP's scouts to experiment with patrol yells and discover their preferences. In my experience this comes naturally, just provide a scout-run program that gives them something to yell about. Oh and have your PL's read the Patrol Leader Handbook.

My $0.02,

Locking thread.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1