Wilderness Survival - Use of Flares

The key to WS, is resourcefulness with dual-use items.  Flares may be a fun draw, maybe they make good fire starters. But...

• Can the spent tube be used to rig a trap?
  • Can you cook with them?
  • Do they make good mineral supplements to the ants that have raided your last pack of raisins?
  • Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, 69RoadRunner said:

The merit badge is Wilderness Survival. You're not going to have flares or a flare gun in the wilderness.

They are required equipment for aircraft in Alaska and Canada.

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, 69RoadRunner said:

The merit badge is Wilderness Survival.

I'm willing to bet your definition of "wilderness" and mine are very different...

Wilderness Survival Merit Badge 1983

Graduate - USAF Water Survival Training Course October 1990 (renewed every three years until 2014)

Graduate - USAF Combat Survival Training Course November 1990 (renewed every three years until 2014)

https://www.fairchild.af.mil/Information/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/238992/us-air-force-survival-school/

https://www.baseops.net/militarybooks/usafsurvival.html

Wilderness First Aid Instructor since 2016

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
1 minute ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

I'm willing to bet your definition of "wilderness" and mine are very different...

OK, show of hands. How many people take flares out into the wilderness?  Maybe that's how some scouters have 75 pound packs at Philmont (I assumed it was dutch ovens).

To me, the MB should be based on stuff you'd typically take as part of the 10 essentials.  Stuff a scout would likely have.

I take flares on week-long canoe treks, especially in Adirondacks...and on every boat outing I've had in coastal waters...never been in the deep blue, but I'll bet they are on every boat at Sea Base...and as stated by others, Sea Scouts use 'em...

As my OP said, a Scout asked if he could do the road flare to fulfill the requirement.  I have already told him, "yes," and will gladly sign his blue card when he completes the other four ways to attract attention...

If flare guns are part and parcel of your Scouts' lives, as they are around here, I see no harm in teaching them how to use them safely.

https://www.allstate.com/resources/allstate/attachments/tools-and-resources/pz-auto-stranded-motorist-jan-2014.pdf

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow....Coast Guard....Guide to Safe Scouting.......accidents...........who's qualified............I think it's an innovative and modern technique to summon help.   If you have a flair and need help, use it!  That's reality, common sense,  and an excellent idea. Instruction on their proper use is also a great idea and may prevent someone from burning themself or shooting their own face off in an emergency.

We did it, and the Scouts loved it!  Older Scouts got to load and fire a flare gun, and the youngers got to light marine flares (30 Scouts in total).  Most of these we acquired from out of date items that boaters in our unit had.  Many had not checked their boat's gear for some time, and were happy to hand over the expired items for training. (Coast Guard could issue a citation for expired gear, and/or make you return to port to replace...) We put out a Notice to Airmen through the FAA, and called our county emergency dispatch, our neighboring county emergency dispatch, and the state forest fire service.  All gave us a thumbs up and were glad we were giving training to young folks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

We did it, and the Scouts loved it!  Older Scouts got to load and fire a flare gun, and the youngers got to light marine flares (30 Scouts in total).  Most of these we acquired from out of date items that boaters in our unit had.  Many had not checked their boat's gear for some time, and were happy to hand over the expired items for training. (Coast Guard could issue a citation for expired gear, and/or make you return to port to replace...) We put out a Notice to Airmen through the FAA, and called our county emergency dispatch, our neighboring county emergency dispatch, and the state forest fire service.  All gave us a thumbs up and were glad we were giving training to young folks.

Glad it worked out!  Sounds like y'all took the correct precautions