scoutbook - entering dates for sub-requirements

We are having the scouts use their handbooks as the primary means of recording sign-offs.   Then the advancment coordinator is entering this into scoutbook when each rank is completed.   It seems absolutely simplest to simply put in the date of completion of the rank as a whole.   Is there any need to list the dates each sub-requirment was completed?  (to list dates for 1a, 1b, 1c, 2a, 2b, etc, separetly?)  That would be a lot more work for the advancment coordinator.

We use troopmaster not scoutbook.  In TM you can just use the BOR date and it back fills all the other dates.  At the times when we've been in between advancement coordinators and I've picked up the ball that's all I did.  Our current AC makes a copy of the handbook page as part of the BOR process and enters each separate date.  I don't see the need to do it, but I leave it up to her.

I'm on the cub scout side. Cub scouts especially have a lot of do a or b or 3 of 4, etc. If I'm logging that my scouts have completed the loop, I'm not going to take the time to fill in each of those sub things for each scout (or care about the quick entry). Unless they want to double or triple my pay, its not happening.

• Upvote 1

You can just mark things as completed overall in Scoutbook.  If Scouts / parents want to track completions of requirements / sub-requirements to match, they can put the dates in themselves.  I prefer having dates that match or no dates at all for individual requirements, rather than putting in the date of the BOR for everything, but YMMV.  One advantage to having dates that match in Scoutbook, is that Scoutbook could be used as a backup in case a Scout's Handbook gets lost or damaged.

In Troopmaster, you can just put in the BOR date, and it will mark all of the uncompleted requirements (no date entered) for that rank as "Complete".

Edited by Thunderbird
5 hours ago, T2Eagle said:

In TM you can just use the BOR date and it back fills all the other dates.

Does this give any trouble down the road for requirements, such as 1st class 8a which says "After completing Second Class 7a, be physicaly active at lest 30 minutes each day for five days a week for four weeks."  ?  Since the 1st class BOR date and the 2nd class BOR date can be less than a month apart.

That is,  could the lack of specific dates in scoutbook cause trouble when a scout is trying to become an eagle scout?

Edited by Treflienne
typo
7 minutes ago, Treflienne said:

Does this give any trouble down the road for requirements, such as 1st class 8a which says "After completing Second Class 7a, be physicaly active at lest 30 minutes each day for five days a week for four weeks."  ?  Since the 1st class BOR date and the 2nd class BOR date can be less than a month apart.

That is,  could the lack of specific dates in scoutbook cause trouble when a scout is trying to become an eagle scout?

This is why I prefer to leave the individual requirement dates blank or use the real dates that match the Handbook.  The BSA is only looking at overall dates of completion - not the dates of individual requirements (except merit badges).  You can also choose to use Internet Advancement 2.0, which only records completions - not individual requirements.

15 minutes ago, Treflienne said:

By the guide to advancement, you can't look back through an eagle applicant's record for minor errors like this. You have to assume that all previous ranks were completed correctly.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Treflienne said:

I don't think so. SB is not supposed to freak out over such things.

In any case the forum discussions.scouting.org primarily answers SB questions. So, you'll get replies from volunteers who've been working with the product a lot. (Although, some Luddite scouter occasionally comes along and spouts off rhetoric about independent patrols, MB class limits, and insignia dorks. :D)

39 minutes ago, qwazse said:

(Although, some Luddite scouter occasionally comes along and spouts off rhetoric about independent patrols, MB class limits, and insignia dorks. :D)

I do believe I may have read one of said Luddite's comments this very morn'!! 😁

• Haha 1