11 minutes ago, mrkstvns said:

... Anybody know anything about Big Brothers / Big Sisters programs???

No, but my church has reconfigured its youth ministry because of these shifting tides.

Virtuous actions become real virtue when chosen deliberately from motivation of internal good.

I think Badon Powell said something similar, but I can't remember where. "Do a good turn daily" is a practice of the goal. 

Barry

On 7/15/2019 at 10:06 AM, Eagledad said:

If a motto works like a compass to keep our vision and actions on course, what would your Scouters Motto be?

Seems lately that I'm attracted to quotes that are more specifically directed toward how scouters (Scoutmasters) use Patrol Method. 

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Barry

Here is one for you in the same vein... 

"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly."

Will Durant

• Upvote 2
56 minutes ago, DuctTape said:

Here is one for you in the same vein... 

"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly."

Will Durant

Hmmm .... Good quote, but not a motto.  A motto is something Trump could easily twitter.  

13 minutes ago, fred8033 said:

Hmmm .... Good quote, but not a motto.  A motto is something Trump could easily twitter.  

I know. I was responding to Barry's attraction to these types of quotes.

• Upvote 1
On 7/16/2019 at 5:59 PM, DuctTape said:

To be fair to BP he did not say have a big brother relationship, but to guide "in the spirit of".

Agreed.

I think it depends how we define "big brotherly." Baden Powell has a similar quote that I think is easier to understand. “To get a hold on boys you must be their friend.”

The YPT rules have definitely made communications between adults and youth restricted. We cannot communicate or interact with our Scouts like they do their peers in the troop or school. The YPT rules have made it impossible for adults to have "private" relationship with a Scout that nobody else is aware of, and that's a necessary safeguard. As @DuctTape said, "in the spirit of." I believe very strongly that how the YPT rules are written gives me the necessary operating room to ""Guide the boy in the spirit of an older brother" or “be their friend” while still observing YPT. More or less, what I think BP means by both quotes is a Scoutmaster shouldn't be a drill sergeant, strict teacher, or stern parental figure. 

Part of the challenge is that it's challenging to define some of these terms in a scouting context: "Personal" "Private" "1 on 1." 

I also think it's very possible to have "personal" relationships with Scouts. I don't have "secret" relationships with them. I talk to my Scouts, I get to know them. They get to know me, my experience in Scouts, and some details about my life and profession. There are certainly some topics that are off limits for me and for them. There's definitely some jokes and good natured teasing that goes on between them and I. I know their goals in Scouts, and their interests outside of Scouts. Sometimes they come to me with very personal things or they want my opinion on something. As much as possible, and depending on the nature of their request, we'll discuss those things out of the earshot of others, but in view and knowledge of other Scouts and Scouters. I grant that this could be because I'm closer in age to my Scouts and I have an easy time relating to them. I follow all the YPT rules exactly as they are written. If anybody is confused how that works, and why I feel like I'm within the rules, I'll explain, but I feel like we've beaten to death the YPT rules on this forum.

Many of my former Scouts stay in touch when they age out of Scouts. If that's not the result of guidance in the spirit of an older brother; then I'm not sure what is. I feel like this is likely true for most of us here. 

As for the Scouters Motto I like: 
"Train 'em, Trust 'em, Let 'em lead."

• Upvote 2
On 7/15/2019 at 10:06 AM, Eagledad said:

If a motto works like a compass to keep our vision and actions on course, what would your Scouters Motto be?

Be stubborn about your goals and flexible about your methods. 

• Upvote 1
On 7/18/2019 at 8:19 PM, Sentinel947 said:

I also think it's very possible to have "personal" relationships with Scouts. I don't have "secret" relationships with them. I talk to my Scouts, I get to know them.

Full agree and well said.  In an organization aimed at helping youth to develop, having personal relationships with the Scouts is important.  Some of the adults with the biggest impact on my kids were people who showed and interest and got to know them.  Those conversations don't need to be secret or private.