Delivering fresh donuts is an easy and time-honored way for scout units to raise cash....but when I looked into it myself, I had to laugh at the irony of one of the "Customer Success Stories" in Krispy Kreme's fundraising brochure:   a Police Explorer post with 15 active explorers sold 600 boxes of donuts....oh, the perpetuation of stereotypes!

Krispy Kreme brochure:
https://images.kktestkitchen.com/fundraising/FormsFAQGenericEnglishOrderForm.pdf 

Posted (edited)

For real.... That was my Troop's fund raiser for many years. 

Early on a Saturday morning, a Troop dad drove his station wagon down to the Silver Spring KK factory.  About 6:30am,  the Troop assembled in the church parking lot to meet this delivery.  Each pair (!) of Scouts and their parent driver, took on , oh, maybe 20 or 30 or 40  dozen donuts and drove off into the neighborhoods. Back then, homes were fewer and farther apart, as I remember.  In uniform, we went up to the door and knocked. 

Generally caught by surprise at 7:30am on a Saturday morning,  folks, some with coffee cup in hand, some in bathrobe,  were easily willing to buy  a dozen donuts  "to support the Scouts".  "JANET ?  YOU GOT YOUR PURSE HANDY?  THERE'S A SCOUT HERE AT THE DOOR SELLING DONUTS !"  rarely were we politely refused.

Some bought 2 or 3 dozen, "to freeze". .  By 10am or so, the back seat was no longer smelling of fried sweet bread.

We did this about every other month.  "Where were you last Saturday?. I was HUNGRY ! !"   I truly believe we could have done this every other Saturday on a regular basis, but even the parents realized us Scouts had other things to do.....

Edited by SSScout

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, mrkstvns said:

a Police Explorer post with 15 active explorers sold 600 boxes of donuts....oh, the perpetuation of stereotypes!

...and never left the police station. ;)

Was at a fairly large camp last year and there were some police there doing a demonstration and general community stuff, and one came rocking up to the others with a big bag of fresh donuts...made me smile too.

Edited by ianwilkins

I had a scout in my troop who is now a town police officer. He loves donuts.

• Upvote 1