Sign in to follow this  
5thGenTexan

Archery Lawsuit Against BSA

There was a "Vendor" selling archery gear???   At a Scout event?  Totally against everything I was taught to teach as a Range Safety Officer.  "No personal gear allowed on the Scout Range." "No archery done OFF the official range, without the RSO oversight." Two and a half years later? 

Ach mein gott…. 

Edited by SSScout

7 minutes ago, SSScout said:

There was a "Vendor" selling archery gear???   At a Scout event?  Totally against everything I was taught to teach as a Range Safety Officer.  "No personal gear allowed on the Scout Range." "No archery done OFF the official range, without the RSO oversight." Two and a half years later? 

Ach mein gott…. 

They arent saying what the event was.  We recently had a Council event where vendors were present, units were allowed to set up booths, etc.  Maybe this event was the same sort of thing and there was no range of any kind set up.  In that case a Scout bought something and used it where he knew that he shouldnt have 

17 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

Any other info on this?   I am not sure how its the fault of the BSA that a Scout did something stupid with something he bought at an event.  I understand the BSA has deeper pockets than an individual Scout.

https://www.apnews.com/3ea0abd816fd439fbdfa0be7afc79484

Well, about 8 years ago or so, I was at a local OA sponsored event that had outside vendors.  They sold bows.  Some scouts bought the bows, and were shooting them on the lawn in front of the dining hall.  They were shooting them towards the dining hall, and there were people in that area (including me).  I   asked them to stop, they did, but it just shows the lack of common sense sometimes present in scout aged kids. 

17 hours ago, SSScout said:

Ach mein gott…. 

Technically, the boys were probably not allowed to use the gear at the event. 

22 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

Any other info on this?   I am not sure how its the fault of the BSA that a Scout did something stupid with something he bought at an event.  I understand the BSA has deeper pockets than an individual Scout.

https://www.apnews.com/3ea0abd816fd439fbdfa0be7afc79484

I wasn't there, but the date coincides with an annual Mountain Man Rendezvous. As is typical, they had knife throwing, archery, black powder rifle/shotgun, etc. At least for this year's event, the vendors were not allowed to sell projectile toys or bows. I don't know about 2016.