James E. West Fellowship

Message added by LeCastor

This thread on the James E. West Fellowship was taking away from the OP about displaying awards earned in other countries' Scouting programs, so I chose to move this to Council Relations.  The James E. West Fellowship is an endowment given to a council, not advancement and therefore not equivalent to an Eagle Scout Award.

1 hour ago, NJCubScouter said:

I am not an expert in the practices of religious organizations, but I know something about non-religious non-profit organizations.  Most (if not the overwhelming majority) of organizations that seek donations from the public give public recognition for donations of a certain amount.  If I walk into my local hospital there are plaques in the lobby saying who gave at the Gold, Silver, Bronze, etc. (or whatever) levels in the last expansion drive.

I understand that. I have seen it too. When my parish recently built an addition, my pastor expressly forbade having any name plaques on the building to recognize donations. He thinks such things are prideful. It has no place in a church building.

I particularly dislike it when government bodies sell the naming rights to public properties. All of our parks are now named after big donors. The park district actually changed the name of one of our parks, which was previously named after a local civil war hero, to sell the name to the highest bidder.

We had a bit of a flap over it. The Little League initially refused to change the name of the park on their game schedules, and continued to call it by its old name. After the donors objected, the Park District gave the Little League an ultimatum. Either they use the donors name or they lose the use of the baseball fields.

You were absolutely right in your previous post. Your comment definitely applies to me. I am becoming very jaded and cynical. I think I have good cause to be jaded and cynical. It seems that almost everything today is for sale.

In my state, we now have two billionaires competing for governor. How can we not become jaded and cynical?

Edited by David CO
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have two shirts in my closet with West knots. One for me and one for my wife. Are you all seriously going to troll a family that gives to Scouting?  We decided to do it while we were in our 30's s

Oh baloney.  We are going to our library's wine tasting party next month and sponsoring a table.  (It's not very expensive to do so.)   A local liquor store and their vendors donate all the wine and s

Yes, I agree with you about the "too much US and THEM" on this forum.  Very often when reading everyone's definitive answers I can't help but think of The Dude's quote from The Big Lebowski: "Well, th

5 hours ago, David CO said:

I do think there is something inherently wrong with it.

My parish doesn't give any public recognition for donations. Tithing is private matter. 

And giving to Scouting is not tithing.

4 hours ago, David CO said:

I understand that. I have seen it too. When my parish recently built an addition, my pastor expressly forbade having any name plaques on the building to recognize donations. He thinks such things are prideful. It has no place in a church building.

I particularly dislike it when government bodies sell the naming rights to public properties. All of our parks are now named after big donors. The park district actually changed the name of one of our parks, which was previously named after a local civil war hero, to sell the name to the highest bidder.

We had a bit of a flap over it. The Little League initially refused to change the name of the park on their game schedules, and continued to call it by its old name. After the donors objected, the Park District gave the Little League an ultimatum. Either they use the donors name or they lose the use of the baseball fields.

You were absolutely right in your previous post. Your comment definitely applies to me. I am becoming very jaded and cynical. I think I have good cause to be jaded and cynical. It seems that almost everything today is for sale.

In my state, we now have two billionaires competing for governor. How can we not become jaded and cynical?

I find a level irony in your views. On the one hand, you have consistently argued for the complete obedience of the unit (and Scouts and SM) to the CO, since the CO owns the unit (fiscal interest).

On the other, you are jaded and cynical about others with fiscal interest being recognized.

• 2 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:33 AM, Col. Flagg said:

One should ask the question why good Scouters would seek recognition for charitable giving. 

Scouts only get service hours for their charitable work. Many volunteer Scouters and parents give generously of their time and money regularly and get nothing but a thank you in return.

I would really like to see less adult recognition in the form of knots, trophies and such UNLESS it is for something very significant (e.g., retiring unit leader, cherished volunteer, etc.). This "do this and get that" culture BSA has for adults only reinforces that same notion with the youth. Talk about (purchased) participation trophies.:rolleyes:

(Note: @MattR, this is nothing against your gesture. It is more against BSA even having this in the first place.)

How do you feel about professional Scouters being able to get knots?  Is it not just doing their job?  At least volunteers who earn knots do it on their own time.

7 minutes ago, rmcmillin said:

How do you feel about professional Scouters being able to get knots?  Is it not just doing their job?  At least volunteers who earn knots do it on their own time.

Not really any different than the military. For the most part, they don't get ribbons for just doing their job (National Defense and Good Conduct ribbons perhaps being the exception). They get them for specific achievements, recognition, or service.

I don't see why would exempt professionals from being recognized for their specific achievements, recognition, or service. In general, working for a not-for-profit doesn't come with much of that on its own.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Regarding knots and professionals. unless things have changed in the 20 years since I was a pro,  professionals are barred from earning knots with a few exceptions, i.e. Professional Training (aka Darth vader knot), Heroism Award, West, etc.  So Pros cannot earn  the Keys, Training Awards, District Awards of Merit, etc. And they are ineligible for those recognition for 5 years after  leaving the profession. 

We had a guy who was a pro, and retired. He was from the area and continued to volunteer, and served in multiple positions. Every new DE tried to put his name in for both DAM and SB because he was that helpful, and all three DEs were told he is ineligible because of the 5 year rule.  4 DE was successful, because it was the 6th year after retirement. Another former pro I know was put in for the DAM and rejected because of the 5 year rule.