Friends of Scouting Mandatory?

Two thoughts went through my head when viewing the video....

1) Why is it our kids are too scared to sit on Santa's lap?  We must be teaching our kids to be whooses.

2) Maybe it would be more polically correct to dump OA Indian culture and go with these guys..... 

:)

LOL....when you see these Krampus clubs doing their parade with St. Nikolaus every year (yeah, THAT St. Nick) it is pretty amazing. Very little kids are scared but they get over it...they know it is show. But you're right, I have seen kids get more scared being forced to sit in Santa's lap for a photo op then I ever saw kids getting scared at Krampus.

Believe it or not, there are two units in southern Bavaria that are part of a Krampus club. They do this every year. These costumes are amazingly complex. The masks are all done by hand, in wood, and hand-painted. Still have mine....gets used for Halloween but am thinking of hitting the local German Xmas market wearing it. Need permission first, this *is* Texas and some conceal-carry might mistake me for a 8 point buck. ;)

Edited by Krampus
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd send a money order for $1.00 from the Troop as a token FOS contribution along with a copy of the e-mail to the Council President (the top volunteer) and a note explaining that this should meet the

I prefer to contribute directly to a council camp, and specific projects.  "Raising X dollars to replace the roof on the mess hall."  No problem, I'll write a check, happy to help.   However....  

I'm just waiting for someone to take issue with @@JoeBob and his picture. I mean, shades and a cowboy hat? C'mon, what's not to hate there.   @@SeattlePioneer, check out the video here and groove o

I'm just waiting for someone to take issue with @@JoeBob and his picture. I mean, shades and a cowboy hat? C'mon, what's not to hate there. ;)

It's me from my days of Cowboy Action Shooting.  

http://sassnet.com/

Back when I had spare time; before kids, before scouts; clouds of black powder smoke on a humid morning; the Darkside!

The sunshades and facial shadow are for your protection.  If you were to see my face clearly, you would have only two choices: a) Run screaming from the room before your heart stopped, b) Bow down and worship.

• Upvote 1

@@Krampus you're not from New Jersey are you?  ;)

My Wood Badge Scoutmaster is big into horror films and monster movies and was talking about the Krampus and doing "Krampus Night" years before the recent film was announced. 

Nope, in north Texas. Krampus is known in the German parts of the state by those of German decent. The Krampus parade (or Krampus Night) is usually the first Saturday in December or on St. Nikolaus Day. If you ever are in Europe during that time head to Bavaria or Tirol in Austria. You will see the parade. Tons of fun.

OMG, all this talk of blackpowder makes me nostalgic for my old reenacting days.

6:00 am, heavy fog, you have difficulty seeing front of you, a field of corn stands there.  The men are excited and tense.  It's time to give the order to move forward and within minutes all Hell breaks loose.  The temperature conversion tolds the fog and smoke close to the ground, your eyes burn and the smell of powder chokes in your throat.  The 150th Anniversary of Antietam/Sharpsburg, MD has begun.

Venture Crew 2 was there portraying 2nd WI Co. B  This is high adventure at it's best.

Anyone ever deal with the "Camp Card"?   

I love the Camp Card program, 50% into the Scouts/units account.  We were selling for 5$ for about 3 years when we realized everyone else was doing 10$ now we are doing 10$ and my son sells around 50 every year.

I love the Camp Card program, 50% into the Scouts/units account.  We were selling for 5$ for about 3 years when we realized everyone else was doing 10$ now we are doing 10$ and my son sells around 50 every year.

Council requires we sell at face value. And with the number of units selling the market is diluted.

Council requires we sell at face value. And with the number of units selling the market is diluted.

In our part of the state, dilution is a problem, but not from other camp card sales.   Rather, there are several other cards (community college, HS football boosters, etc.) that are tailored specifically for local businesses, and already have a loyal following.   So local folks already have "card fatigue" plus they aren't so keen on buying yet another that they can only use in a metropolitan area that requires a 3 hour drive, one way.

• Upvote 1

Follow-Up to OP:

New DE, so now we have a Senior DE and DE; I guess that means we now have a "Key 4"?  :confused:  Anyway, the district commissioner only got 20% uptake on his "mandatory FOS" participation note. He is now wanting to set up meetings with the unit leaders. No reason given, but has basically given his schedule and expect leaders to fit in to time slots on his schedule. All slots are on a weekend where nearly every unit I know are camping (upcoming three day weekend in January).

I wonder if he knows just how out-of-touch he is with his units. :dry:

• Upvote 1

@@Krampus, it just keeps getting better! :)

Just a guess from a guy from the sticks, but is it your proximity to BSA HQ that lends itself to pro scouter featherbedding?   Two DEs, one to mentor the other?   One collects FOS and the other visits HQ Irving regularly for consultations/luncheons/etc. "from the field?"

Would like to hear the DC's new FOS pitch.   Especially when he/she looks out across the room at mostly empty chairs.   The DC is aware that the unit level leaders are volunteers, and under no obligation to attend his meeting or give to FOS?  Do the DEs realize this?  Does Irving?  (Rhetorical questions, your honor! :)

<<Anyway, the district commissioner only got 20% uptake on his "mandatory FOS" participation note.>> 

I would be put off by that approach!

<<He is now wanting to set up meetings with the unit leaders. No reason given, but has basically given his schedule and expect leaders to fit in to time slots on his schedule. All slots are on a weekend where nearly every unit I know are camping (upcoming three day weekend in January).>> 

Shucks,  I would refuse to schedule such a meeting!

We discuss issues like this at the monthly Roundtable. That our last Roundtable included a review of the upcoming Klondike Derby,  Cub Scout Marble Tournament and Friends of Scouting.  Unfortunately,  not too many people attend. 

In my view the SMART DE will recognize that FOS is voluntary and that cooperation by units is voluntary.  

• Upvote 1

@@Krampus, it just keeps getting better! :)

Just a guess from a guy from the sticks, but is it your proximity to BSA HQ that lends itself to pro scouter featherbedding?   Two DEs, one to mentor the other?   One collects FOS and the other visits HQ Irving regularly for consultations/luncheons/etc. "from the field?"

Would like to hear the DC's new FOS pitch.   Especially when he/she looks out across the room at mostly empty chairs.   The DC is aware that the unit level leaders are volunteers, and under no obligation to attend his meeting or give to FOS?  Do the DEs realize this?  Does Irving?  (Rhetorical questions, your honor! :)

Being so close to Irving makes everyone a silver beaver, wood badge, ptc expert. One of the reasons we just focus on our unit. I don't have time to get all the bling they want me to get in order for them to pay me attention. They'll take my money but never anything else. ;)

I ignore. Took a while but perfected the art.

• Upvote 1

More than anything I resent an imposition to a Boy Scout court of honor, a four times a year event, a captive audience and boring the boys.  Let the parents give some feedback.  Do they want a presentation at a COH, or do you schedule it during a different meeting?  (Swim night?)  Have some discipline adult leaders and just say 'not the COH, but you can come on__________"

(With pack meetings happening once a month, 10 minutes for the FOS guy was okay.  You need a CM with a hook to pull them off stage.,,,, and the cubs in the gym playing sock war.  :))

I work in a non-profit, have kids to educate, and little extra change.  However, I bought a latte today.  I can find a little cash for my district because I support the scouting movement, for my sons and boys in other troops into the future.  Now I don't see waste in my district, but I'm not investing thousands, so I'm not hiring a forensic accountant.  I support the scouting movement cause I see what good it does.

• Upvote 1

We tell them that we'll pass the cards out and make the presentation for them if they'll just stay away. I think they've mostly given up on us anyway. We have a lot of families of 'modest means' so no matter what their efforts are mostly going to be in vain.