I recently heard that the council in my area has voted to require ANNUAL youth protection training,  rather than taking the training every other year.

Anyone else aware of this as yet another council fad?

If true, I guess there is just NO LIMIT to the burdens that will be placed on volunteers.

• Downvote 1
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think all leaders should take the face to face version of YPT in their first year of scouting (not just the video followed by questions, but an actual class taught by an instructor).  I look back at

I recently heard that the council in my area has voted to require ANNUAL youth protection training,  rather than taking the training every other year.     Anyone else aware of this as yet another c

Yes, I think it's required there for any council camp over 72 hours. Not sure if it's state wide or just the Dallas area (cousin lives there).     If the unit has a good training coordinator they

when I went to cub collage they told me that YPT needed to be done annually also but DE told me no !! they were saying that because if your YPT expires around recharter depending on when they get to your paper work it could be kicked back.  As for yearly being a burden on leadership man it is and video and little test you can take it in your underwear if you want.  I have always wanted BSA to allow the pack to hold YPT classes were you showed the video gave the test and mailed in information back to BSA that way you just knocked everybody out at once and did not have to chase people down. Just have it during a leadership meeting every year and be done with it !

I hope it does not become annual. I would take it every year, but getting some people to take it every two years (even online) is difficult enough.

Although this should probably be another thread, I also don't think the online YP training is very good. I think the older format with the video with the panel discussion, and the scenarios, and the handouts, was much better, even if it did take 3 times as long and required a live facilitator. (They could do the same thing online and provide the handouts by a link from the training site, I have taken online continuing legal education courses that work that way.) It is difficult for me to judge since I already know the material, but I doubt the current course gets the material across very well to someone who does not already know it. It also appears that they don't update it with the changes to the G2SS, such as the rules on electronic communications and the recommendation that Scouts more than 2 years apart in age should not tent together.

Edited by NJCubScouter

We just suggest everyone take it every year before summer camp along with safe swim etc.

It's a good habit, cause we are human and forget stuff and need reminders.

We required YPT, safe swim, weather and if they were a den leader, whatever training for their den level online, and they had to bring us proof they did them (stapled to their application).  We also did a 60 minute training class on camp--rules, expectations and YPT, as well as a 30 minute hands on overview on their specific positions (i.e. den leader, session leader, etc)

In Texas it is a law to have face to face YPT for any camps over 2 days, and current within the year.

Yes, I think it's required there for any council camp over 72 hours. Not sure if it's state wide or just the Dallas area (cousin lives there).

We just suggest everyone take it every year before summer camp along with safe swim etc.

It's a good habit, cause we are human and forget stuff and need reminders.

If the unit has a good training coordinator they can run quarterly reports to keep people current. Takes 10 mins and would save adults from having to waste 30-60 mins every year.

@@CubDaycampDirector, in Boy Scouts the additional training (safe swim, safety afloat, weather) is required for at least one leader on every outing. The tour permit requires it. Our unit made the decision a long time ago to make that training mandatory for all SMs. Saves having to hunt for a trained leader. ;)

• Upvote 1

I think all leaders should take the face to face version of YPT in their first year of scouting (not just the video followed by questions, but an actual class taught by an instructor).  I look back at it, and the war stories I heard were much more effective than the fairly mild web version of the course. I think the web version is a great refresher, though.  I try to take YPT every 18 months or so, so I don't have time being untrained.  That is easier said than done, though. 

• Upvote 2