My.scouting.org Update

There's an extra .  (period) in the my.scouting.org.   :) I've been in the computer business for over 30 years and I still don't know what the difference is.  Just something out there that someone is going to make a lot of money off of.

Quick answer: Drives more traffic and makes scouting.org in general a more "popular" website. That will help with search engines, etc.

Making "my" a subdomain of scouting.org is smart web work. They should do more of this with certain types of resources, and make more links out and back.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would turn over the management of my unit's data to one of my teenage scouts before I would give it to BSA.

Gee, as stupidly Captain Obvious my answer was, it turned out to be correct.  But then we're dealing with the BSA here when it comes to computer technology here.

I am far far from a techie, but the other day I was helping my son with an Excel project.  I told him "Before you do anything, make a full copy of your current sheet, so that no matter what you can al

I have found it a bit confusing..... never knew which site I was going to .... just couldn't remember... is the dot the new one, or the old one?

anyway, I was always confused....have to go to the new for some info, and have to go to the old one for other info,

which it seems is finally over at the new with this update...

For example, here is the Alexa rankings:

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/scouting.org

vs

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/myscouting.org

More people come to Scouting (obviously)

Quantcast: https://www.quantcast.com/search?q=www.scouting.org

So the old myscouting site didn't get a lot of traffic, might not have been easy to find, and didn't result in driving people to the main BSA site either. These are all just guesses on my part, I admit. I just know what I go through when analyzing my own traffic.

It is a widely accepted practice in IT NEVER to use production (real) data when you test anything.

For the Game Design MB we go over how to stage data, back it up and use it properly. Why a company as large as BSA would not know to do that is beyond me.

As a software engineer I would never even consider doing a coding project (even a solo one) without source control (source control is a system that tracks changes to software so you can see how things change, and recover any earlier version). There are good and easy to use source control tools available for free. It is a widely accepted that not using source control comes under the category of "stupid".

So I am completely flummoxed when I or my software engineer friends run into software projects that don't use it. Even at large companies like Boeing. And managers that say things like "I don't know what the fuss about source control is, it's a waste of time."

Quick answer: Drives more traffic and makes scouting.org in general a more "popular" website. That will help with search engines, etc.

Making "my" a subdomain of scouting.org is smart web work. They should do more of this with certain types of resources, and make more links out and back.

Okay, I can understand that.  Thanks!

Anyone know how to update profile info on the new site? My profile has an old and obsolete email address as the primary. My training is also missing little things like IOLS...

Typical of BSA IT, I suppose.

1. Sign in.
  2. Go to the upper right hand corner and select from the littler person icon My Account.
  3. Change the fields and save.

Getting your training update is a bit different. One of your Key 3 with edit rights in to the membership data are the only ones who can change training data. If you are one of those people you can change or update any training EXCEPT for yourself.

You might want to check the Completions tab under My Training.  I thought they would list Veturing Advisor, Scoutmaster Training, and IOLS on the program pages, but they are only under the completed tab.

1. Sign in.
  2. Go to the upper right hand corner and select from the littler person icon My Account.
  3. Change the fields and save.

Getting your training update is a bit different. One of your Key 3 with edit rights in to the membership data are the only ones who can change training data. If you are one of those people you can change or update any training EXCEPT for yourself.

By Key 3 do you mean at  the unit level or at the District  level?  For instance, if I know that someone completed IOLS but their records are hopelessly lost, can I,as SM, go in and edit their training data to fix that ?

Bad Wolf-

The only editable fields I see are to change my password and security questions. Ther is no other info there- no contact info to change at all. It is very odd. But again, par for the course...

dfolson-

All of my other training seems to be there, but IOLS is completely missing.

So I am completely flummoxed when I or my software engineer friends run into software projects that don't use it. Even at large companies like Boeing. And managers that say things like "I don't know what the fuss about source control is, it's a waste of time."

Boeing ... Yeah, that would have to be software used in company infrastructure (advertising, job postings, etc).  I've worked lots of DOD and FAA projects  Configuration control is contractual, budgeted, planned and flushed out in detailed.  Skirting the processes on government, military or safety critical projects is a good way to earn a trip to Leavenworth.  

Edited by fred johnson

By Key 3 do you mean at  the unit level or at the District  level?  For instance, if I know that someone completed IOLS but their records are hopelessly lost, can I,as SM, go in and edit their training data to fix that ?

Unit level. Used to be able to have a Training Chair edit training. Don't think that exists anymore.

at the top left

click Home

click on legacy Web Tools

go to legacy myscouting

which I suppose you could short cut to "go to the old site"

then "Update My Profile"

Bad Wolf-

The only editable fields I see are to change my password and security questions. Ther is no other info there- no contact info to change at all. It is very odd. But again, par for the course...

dfolson-

All of my other training seems to be there, but IOLS is completely missing.

On the left hand side, look below  MY DASHBOARD.  click on MY TRAINING<  and you should get a choice of training, profile and account.   Go under PROFILE to change address/phone.

(Finally got access to my account after multiple emails and phone calls to the BSA.  Still missing my training for Camp director, though)

Is anyone else unable to answer the security questions and change the password?

On the left hand side, look below  MY DASHBOARD.  click on MY TRAINING<  and you should get a choice of training, profile and account.   Go under PROFILE to change address/phone.

(Finally got access to my account after multiple emails and phone calls to the BSA.  Still missing my training for Camp director, though)

Is anyone else unable to answer the security questions and change the password?

Password is found in that same area.