Mormons Will Re-Evaluate Relationship With Bsa

The Mormons, which we were all assured over the past few weeks were A-OK with BSA's proposed change, have already announced that they will re-evaluate their relationship with BSA due to being cold-shouldered over the process, and BSA's lack of global reach for a global church.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/church-re-evaluating-scouting-program

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released the following statement today after a vote on a policy change by the Boy Scouts of America National Executive Board to admit openly gay leaders:

“The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is deeply troubled by today’s vote by the Boy Scouts of America National Executive Board. In spite of a request to delay the vote, it was scheduled at a time in July when members of the Church’s governing councils are out of their offices and do not meet. When the leadership of the Church resumes its regular schedule of meetings in August, the century-long association with Scouting will need to be examined. The Church has always welcomed all boys to its Scouting units regardless of sexual orientation. However, the admission of openly gay leaders is inconsistent with the doctrines of the Church and what have traditionally been the values of the Boy Scouts of America.

"As a global organization with members in 170 countries, the Church has long been evaluating the limitations that fully one-half of its youth face where Scouting is not available. Those worldwide needs combined with this vote by the BSA National Executive Board will be carefully reviewed by the leaders of the Church in the weeks ahead.â€

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think all this discussion on Trail Life is pointless.  I'm fairly certain the LDS church is not going to want to be associated with another church's program for boys, especially one that requires a

Since no one else mentioned it, I am posting the link for the National Catholic Committee on Scouting Response. http://www.nccs-bsa.org/pdf/letters/NCCS%20Statement-150727.pdf   We Catholics seem to

From the OP link,   I can understand LDS being upset with this vote scheduled in July. Wasn't this originally planned for October?   I can understand LDS concern about the limited global reach of

When the know-betters in New York council or some martyr McGrath or Tessier intentionally get rejected (again) and the lawsuits start, I would not be surprised in the least to see Catholics, Mormons, traditionally-minded Methodist, and the remaining Baptist units break off. Smallfry conservative denominations like Salvatian Army, African Methodist, etc. will peel away piecemeal. They'll re-tool their own programs (such as Royal Ambassadors) to be more appealing to young men, or may well align with Trail Life. Trail Life might supplant denominational programs like Royal Ambassadors.

LDS is big enough to simply form its own organization.

You may see global denominations like Catholics join the religiously-segregated Scouting movements of France similar to the way that conservative Episcopal congregations have been joining African dioceses.

BSA gets left with what out of 100,000 units? 5,000 of 10,000 Methodist troops, 3500 Presbyterian units, 1200 Episcopal units, and some fraction of the various smallfry denominations, along with some fraction of civic groups, some fraction of private schools and PTAs, and some fraction of "friends of" groups.

BSA might gain 11 more Jewish troops if the Reformed Jewish body rescinds its strongly-worded suggestion that reform synagogues not associate with Scouting.

Good luck, BSA, hope Disney and UPS come through with that cash.

National committed a foul by announcing the decision in July, before the LDS senior leaders could get back from their summer activities to confer at their National meeting in August, and then sit down with BSA senior leaders to discuss the way ahead.   National did this by design.   Irving gave the LDS leadership quite a stick in the eye.

I think National is ready to jettison the faith-based organizations altogether, seeing the cause is lost entirely.   Irving will try to replace them with units that represent the diversity/pro-choice crowd, and hope that corporate donations will spring to life again.  

That plan is working great for the Girl Scouts, right? 

Edited by desertrat77

That plan is working great for the Girl Scouts, right? 

Looking at the years immediately following when the GSUSA stated that gays and atheists could join (1993), it didn't affect their membership numbers at all.  Are you trying to claim their recent membership drops are a 20+ year delay?

Looking at the years immediately following when the GSUSA stated that gays and atheists could join (1993), it didn't affect their membership numbers at all.  Are you trying to claim their recent membership drops are a 20+ year delay?

The GSUSA has been a ghost ship since the '70s.   I have no idea how or why their numbers are they way they are.   But I do know this:   I was a Brownie co-leader ten years ago.   And if the Irving wants to follow the GSUSA template, the BSA program will consist of fewer units, lots of meetings and popcorn sales.   Little else.

Edited by desertrat77

I thought the LDS has stated that homosexuals are okay in the church aside from the Scouting issue, so there statement comes as a surprise to me.

Regarding National's position on faith based CO, it wouldn't surprise me if that was there plan. It might be time for faith based COs to move on. I believe that "the Duty to God" idea is not taken seriously at least, or is outright

ecumenicalism.

Royal Ambassadors is a Southern Baptist Ministry to boys in grade 1-6. It is older than BSA. It's main focus is teaching boys about missions and being a missionary. It also has an outdoor skills component for fun and teaching skills.

It is not the main focus of the program. It is not an alternative to other boys organizations, it stands on it's own

merits and objectives. It isn't nearly as expensive as BSA.

Good luck

The GSUSA has been a ghost ship since the '70s.   I have no idea how or why their numbers are they way they are.   But I do know this:   I was a Brownie co-leader ten years ago.   And if the Irving wants to follow the GSUSA template, the BSA program will consist of fewer units, lots of meetings and popcorn sales.   Little else.

Well, you brought it up just when the BSA made a gay policy change, when a similar change by the GSUSA had no effect on membership, so I'd say you did it only to inaccurately slam the GSUSA.

Well, you brought it up just when the BSA made a gay policy change, when a similar change by the GSUSA had no effect on membership, so I'd say you did it only to inaccurately slam the GSUSA.

Yes, I did bring it up.   Your interpretation of my comments and your conclusions are your own.   Have good evening, Merlyn!

I thought the LDS has stated that homosexuals are okay in the church aside from the Scouting issue, so there statement comes as a surprise to me.Regarding National's position on faith based CO, it wouldn't surprise me if that was there plan. It might be time for faith based COs to move on. I believe that "the Duty to God" idea is not taken seriously at least, or is outrightecumenicalism.Royal Ambassadors is a Southern Baptist Ministry to boys in grade 1-6. It is older than BSA. It's main focus is teaching boys about missions and being a missionary. It also has an outdoor skills component for fun and teaching skills.It is not the main focus of the program. It is not an alternative to other boys organizations, it stands on it's ownmerits and objectives. It isn't nearly as expensive as BSA.Good luck

Most of us aren't Southern Baptist.

It's either ballsy or stupid to get rid of 70% of an organization which is bleeding members already. I'm going with the latter. BSA has never been known to make smart business or membership decisions.

Why as a Catholic would I want my son or daughter in a Baptist youth organization?

Better question, are you here to dump on the BSA and promote RA?

@@Sentinel947, you know full well that Americans care little about denominational lines. If there is an RA chapter next door and a fine young man such as yourself is leading it, and an otherwise loyal Catholic feels like BSA's concession is anti-Catholic, those Sothern Baptists start looking downright Orthodox!

Of course @@DenLeader2 is dumping on BSA. You commented in the other thread that Trail Life's increases aren't commensurate with BSA's decreases. Well, here's a cub-aged program to also divert scouts.