Scouting Doesn't Have A Chance In The New World Order

I have two kids who are teachers and the Oklahoma City school district is going  through this issue right now with a new adminstrator who is following this approach to change the culture. A lot of teachers are very concerned. 

But notice what the training is trying to discourage. 

""The manual defines this “white culture†with a list of values, such as “promoting independence, self expression, personal choice, individual thinking and achievement,†because apparently those are strictly â€œwhite†concepts and not emphasized in black communities. 

Read the whole article: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/oregon-white-privilege-100K

Barry

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@@RememberSchiff, our SM (who is black) does not call himself "African-American". His reply? "I've never been to Africa. I am a Montana-American if I am anything."

I have two kids who are teachers and the Oklahoma City school district is going  through this issue right now with a new adminstrator who is following this approach to change the culture. A lot of tea

Yes mostly overdone. This "differences" mindset can be more destructive than forced-busing and perhaps with similar results - white flight from the public schools but maybe with vouchers this time.  

Yes mostly overdone. This "differences" mindset can be more destructive than forced-busing and perhaps with similar results - white flight from the public schools but maybe with vouchers this time.

I agree with Morgan Freeman who said in an interview, the way to end racism is to stop talking about it (race). Mr. Freeman does not think of himself as a black man, rather "Morgan".

Deliver the American culture of equality for all.

My 2 aspirin

• Upvote 1

I have seen the University of California materials. I can honestly state that for the vast majority of the faculty that I have spoken to - this microaggression issue and carve is either ignored or attacked for the assumptions made in it.

Even better, like the speech codes of the 90s - this will probably backfire on those pushing it. My favorite current push back is that the statement of "check your privilege" or "white privilege" is a form of microaggression.

It is only the end of the world if you let it.

It is only the end of the world if you let it.

I think most are just shaking their heads at the fact that, with all the problems in public education, spending $100k on white self-flagellation to take the blame for others' misconduct is silly. 

Glad to be living in a state and region where such silly stuff has not reached us....yet.

This isn't like ebonics, the education elites are pushing this model across the county. Oklahoma City is dealing with it right now. There is a middle school where most of the teachers are threatening to leave. My son who teaches at an at risk high school get many of those students and he is concerned enough with the this trend and how much politics is influencing basic education that he is considering a new line of work. 

Many say that the BSA is a white mans program. If this education model becomes popular in minority communities, scouting will be even more politically incorrect and more controversial.

Barry 

• Upvote 1

Many say that the BSA is a white mans program.

Many do say that, and when I look around in my area and see how much higher the percentage of "white" people (not including Spanish-speaking families) is in Scouting than in the overall population of some of the communities, it is unfortunately difficult to deny that there is some truth to it. Not by design, but just because that's how it is. The question is, how do "we" fix that? National has tried, with no success that I am aware of. They tried blending soccer and Cub Scouting, but the participants were there to play soccer, not to be Cub Scouts or Boy Scouts, and their parents had no interest in being den leaders or otherwise getting involved in Scouting. One of the past CSE's talked a lot about getting this segment of the population more involved, and some in this forum ridiculed him for it. I think this is a more of an issue than what some organization is pushing as an educational program for teachers.

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Downvote 1

Many do say that, and when I look around in my area and see how much higher the percentage of "white" people (not including Spanish-speaking families) is in Scouting than in the overall population of some of the communities, it is unfortunately difficult to deny that there is some truth to it. Not by design, but just because that's how it is. The question is, how do "we" fix that? National has tried, with no success that I am aware of. They tried blending soccer and Cub Scouting, but the participants were there to play soccer, not to be Cub Scouts or Boy Scouts, and their parents had no interest in being den leaders or otherwise getting involved in Scouting. One of the past CSE's talked a lot about getting this segment of the population more involved, and some in this forum ridiculed him for it. I think this is a more of an issue than what some organization is pushing as an educational program for teachers.

You cannot "fix" a program that is family-based and relies heavily on volunteers who have the time to help. The last census reported 24 million kids without their biological father living at home. Did not see a stat for if those households had a step-father involved, but several groups have compiled stats based on census data for single-parent households by race. Hard to break that color barrier when mom or dad are by themselves, covering 2 or more kids and trying to make ends meet.

If it weren't for every parent thinking their kid was going to be the next Pele, Willie Mays, Larry Byrd or Tony Romo, most sports would see similar racial levels as BSA I think. But parents think Bobby might get a scholarship if he's good enough. No one says that about BSA.

I do believe that white males were the ones that wanted to come to the New World, the dynamics of the American Dream seems to favor those who seek it.  Not everyone that came to the New World wanted to come.  Their attitude about it is thus different.  What someone wants out of life does not make them racist.

If someone is jealous of someone else's success in life, that does not make the successful person a racist, it just makes them successful.

My two daughters have chosen to stay home and home-school their children because of these kinds of things going on in the public schools.  Both girls are honor students (one valedictorian of her class of 400 students) and their mother is a retired public school teacher.  One thing about intelligent people, they have a rather high sensitivity to BS when they see it.

""The manual defines this “white culture†with a list of values, such as “promoting independence, self expression, personal choice, individual thinking and achievement,†because apparently those are strictly â€œwhite†concepts and not emphasized in black communities. 

So let me understand, if these are bad values then the idea must be to promote the opposite: dependence, self censorship, lack of autonomy, having others tell you what to think and failure?  That sounds like slavery to me.

The $100K would have been better spent taking one thousand economically disadvantaged students on a week long backpacking trip and teaching them the most important thing that my parents (children of immigrants who never went to college) taught me:  you can do anything you set your mind to.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet!

You're looking at a second hand version of something that itself was reported by Education Action Group. It doesn't take much googling to find that they are anything but the "national non-partisan, non-profit education reform organization" group that they claim to be. Non profit maybe? Non patrisan? Hilarious! Go have a look!

They've cherry picked a few quotes and documents that support their own agenda that's all.

I wouldn't fuss.

• Upvote 1

Barry

@@Hedgehog

"So let me understand, if these are bad values then the idea must be to promote the opposite: dependence, self censorship, lack of autonomy, having others tell you what to think and failure?  That sounds like slavery to me."

You've correctly identified the issue here and it has nothing to do with racism.  What this article is promoting is not racism, but slavery.  There is a difference in the two that most people ignore.  One can have slaves of any race, gender, nationality, etc. 

When I said, "I do believe that white males were the ones that wanted to come to the New World, the dynamics of the American Dream seems to favor those who seek it.  Not everyone that came to the New World wanted to come.  Their attitude about it is thus different.  What someone wants out of life does not make them racist.", I was pointing out the fact that collectively certain people came for a better life and there were others that came for unfortunate reasons.  Yes they WERE victims in the process, but now that the process has changed, these people have the opportunity to NOT be a victim anymore.  

People from Europe came looking for a better life, they came from the Orient, Easter Europe, South and Central America, all looking for a piece of the American Dream.  There are those who were once enslaved (Negro) and there were those who were "enslaved" for other reasons (Irish, Chinese, Hispanic, etc.) that, however, they did overcome that and got their piece of the Dream.

So, how does one justify this age old enslavement process in a modern culture?  You do things like this article state.  You enslave them and then spin the respectability of that process.  Yes, the Southern culture of pre-1865 had LEGAL slavery.  A war was fought to correct that.  In the late 1800's early 1900's the enslavement revolved around the railroads (Chinese) and industrialization (Irish) and these people's entrapment to out of control business was corrected by the union movement.  So who's the victim today?  All those people who are enslaved to the government, whose only success in life is going to be a welfare check.  They will never be able to rise above others and will remain trapped in their victimized position and this is okay because the government says so.  This is the lesson being taught our children.  

This is the type of article which one will see more and more of in the coming years in order to maintain the status quo of enslaved people.  Prime Minister Thatcher correctly summarized this whole process for her country when she stated the goal is not to bring down the successful of the nation, but to raise up the unsuccessful instead.  In our culture that doesn't seem to be an option.

How do you do that?  "...teaching them the most important thing that my parents (children of immigrants who never went to college) taught me:  you can do anything you set your mind to."

THAT was and STILL IS the basis for the American Dream.  Without that Dream for all people, one lives without hope for all people.

Could someone please explain what this New World Order is that G.H.W. Bush talked about? I've never really understood what is meant by it, nor what it means in the title of this thread, assuming it even refers to the same thing. Other than a more consolidated organization of international interactions (and I'm not even sure what THAT means) I couldn't get much out of that speech that ever seemed to stick in the real world.

Edit: I suspect the 'Dream' of the people who, a couple of hundred years ago were auctioned as property not too far from the recent mass killing in SC, was more of a 'nightmare', a real one.

Edited by packsaddle