Get Ready For New Requirements In Faith

Peregrinator, how did things work out for that guy?

Edit: I thought Pandora was Barbara Eden's mom.

Edit - 2: SSScout, do you think it would make any real difference if there WAS a faith and chaplaincy forum?

Edited by packsaddle
  • Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For duty to God, I have always fallen back on the words writtenin the 1911 Handbook. To paraphrase, a Scouts duty to God is demonstrated in their actions by helping others, doing ones good turn daily.

We've had this discussion before. The BSA requires that you believe in a higher power. It does not require that you believe in a higher power that prescribed (or prescribes) ethics and morality for ma

This just seems like one more in a long line of micromanaging the program. Instead of helping leaders understand how to make the patrol method work we get JTE. Instead of helping us have a discussion

And, come to think of it,  we have not even started to consider the difference between the "clock work God" and the "interactive/interfering God".

Sure we did, it is some number of pages up in this thread, but I'm not going to go look for it.  Maybe the phrase "clock work God" was not specifically used, but the concept is the same.  And I was right in the middle of the discussion because I seem to be the only one in this forum that has acknowledged that that is the nature of my belief in a higher power.

Gee, it's good we have this  "Faith and Chaplaincy"  forum....

I have to ask the same question Packsaddle asked below. What would be the point? Wouldn't every discussion in it just turn into the same endless discussion of whether evolution exists, and whether there's a God or not, and what the nature of God is? Wouldn't every discussion have to be moved into Issues and Politics? Or would "Faith and Chaplaincy" have its own "warning label" like "I&P" saying that here is another place to stay out of if you are tired of the same endless debates about controversial subjects? Why do we need another one?

It has it's reasons within the Scouting Requirements, Oath and Law of 1910 and The Scouting Requirements, Oath and Law of 2015.  There are those that say Scouting was created to develop honorable young men of character and others that think it should evolve/morph/mutate/whatever into something else.

Sorry to be blunt, but that's utter nonsense. (Well, I guess I could have been blunter, but I would have to give myself a warning.) I don't know of anybody who thinks Scouting should "evolve/morph/mutate/whatever into something else." Some people, including me, believe that Scouting can go merrily along developing honorable men of character without have policies that exclude gay people or "nonbelievers", however one defines that. In fact I think that dropping those policies would improve Scouting's ability to develop honorable men of character, because unjustified discrimination is not honorable. (I had another word there instead of "unjustified discrimination," but people have a way of getting all bent out of shape in reaction to it, and I'm one of the people who is supposed to be gently enforcing some level of decorum around here, so that will have to do for now.)

Edited by NJCubScouter

Sorry Stosh, you can romance the good ol' South all you want with the benevolent masters. There are too many accounts of life not so great for the slaves by first hand accounts from people who were slaves themselves and from whites who were sickened by what they witnessed..  Maybe the head of the house did see them as valuable, it would not stop him from breaking up families and selling them, or torture that would teach the rebellious one his place and make an example of him for the other slaves so that they would not follow suit.. There was also brutal ways they would attempt in order to frighten the slaves into working faster and harder, like whipping them if they did not bring in their quota of cotton from the fields.. Even if one or two had to die, it would be a small price to keep the other hundred or more in their place.. Then there are the whites who were family members of the slave owner or the white work hands.. They did not value the slaves, the children of the plantation owner were no different then children today.. Plenty of sons & daughters today if you give them the family car to drive will beat the thing, doesn't matter if the family car is a valuable asset to you.. Likewise the Slave owners children with slaves.. Many employees of today don't care for company equipment, same was true of employees who worked on the plantation entrusted to keep the blacks producing at a high volume..

You are a little older then I, I graduated high school in '76..  So my grade school years were in the 60's..  I don't remember much about my first home as I moved after kindergarten, but I do know our church had at least one really nice black man, who did a lot for the church because I saw him there a lot, so I would imagine he was an elder or a deacon..  Since my parents were divorcing the apartment we were in during 1st grade was lower end, so it was a mix of races and we all played well together and all went to the same schools..  By second grade we had moved into the house I lived in until high school this was a white neighborhood basically, the black neighborhood was in the heart of the city and they had a school closer to them.. So our schools were pretty white, but not totally.. I remember one girl who was in the popular crowd (I was not), cheerleading and well known for her gymnastics.. Also no "Whites Only" in our shopping area, to shop you went Downtown which was in walking distance of the black neighborhood, so it was more their stomping grounds then ours.. A mall was built while in high school, all were welcome and it was in an area all of us had to commute to in order to shop at.. There was talk of bussing in my mid-school / high school years to mix up the blacks & whites.. The only reason I heard for not wanting it was that we liked walking to school and being able to do after school activities which you couldn't if you were bussed... But we had no issue if they built a wing onto our school to accommodate a larger population of students and bussed the inner city kids to our area (Of course they did not want to be bussed from their areas, and suggestion by us students had a price tag on it the city didn't like.)..  I heard my mother use some demeaning term for a black who cut her off in traffic once in my life and when I was appalled by it, she explained she was raised prejudice so she did have an impulse that she needed to mentally stop herself from using and she was sorry I had heard that because she had worked hard not to raise us that way..  The next time after that I ever heard a prejudicial comment that wasn't from watching TV was when I went to college during freshman orientation.. I remember sitting in the registration office doing paper work and the new freshman next to me started spouting off to me about all the blacks on campus and how he hated them all.. I was in such shock over anyone having this attitude I just kind of got up and found a different seat further away from him. It shocked me so much that it is one memory that never faded with time. College in the North, student was from the south by his accent.

So did my life story background of growing up in New York State convince you that the north was not as racial as the south? I would imagine not..  Just like giving me your pocket size view of your neighborhood growing up has changed mine.. Even today there are pocket community groups

In every community there are people who are not as tolerant as other people.. The question is what where the leaders of your community working to change.. Did your elected official give speeches on inclusion and equality or on exclusion and intolerance (meaning what viewpoint did the masses vote for)?  Did change come by peacefully educating the community, or by force? Sorry history just is not on your side with the statement that the South were more welcoming and tolerant of blacks then the North was..

The treatment of Indians was just a disgrace for the whole country.. It doesn't have anything to do with your trying to prove the North was more racial then the South.. The North was not worse then the South in it's actions.. And as you basically stated, it was greed, pure and simple.. They were on land that we wanted, demonize them in order to rationalize why we were entitled to push them out and take what was theirs.

As for the 1860 - 1960's - All I know is it was called The Great Migration from about 1910 - 1970, when blacks moved in droves from the South to the North.. Did the north have the means to support this influx?.. No.. Not housing or jobs enough for all who came.. Which is part of the problem as to why they didn't quite get greeted with the Welcome Wagon.. But, why did they leave the South?.. They felt the living conditions and segregation laws of the South were harsher then those in the North.

So...do you have photos? What kind of car? What color is it? Was the engine running? What was the time of day? How about the windows, were they rolled up? Was the radio on? What kind of clothes were you wearing? Were there any pine trees nearby? How about willows? 

Just a few of the critical questions.....

Packsaddle - Ahh, Ahh, Ahh, you can call the policewoman who stopped and took pictures and a report (in triplicate, I am sure)..  I appreciated the tiny trickle of water on the side of the road, somewhere between water runoff & a real brook.. But, I just watched it and listened and it had a calming effect as I waited an hour & ahalf for a tow truck (one came in an hour, but AAA didn't tell them my wheel fell off, and the truck needed 4 wheels to tow it, so they had to call in someone else.  I also noted that the first 20 to 30 minutes almost every other car stopped to ask if I needed help.. The last hour absolutely no one did.. I reflected it must of been my attitude and the first 30 minutes I acted like I was in shock and unsure what to do, and the last hour I looked calm and relaxed and just quietly in wait.. 

More importantly what color is it?

He asked what color it is.

Not that I want to further contribute to the delinquency of this thread. But I guess it's better than more discussion of evolution.

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Upvote 1

If there was ever a more passive-aggressive color than grey I don't what it is, but silver is a close second. It's a politically-correct color for someone who is afraid to make a statement but didn't have one to make in the first place and feels the fear anyway in order to pretend they did.  :) Obviously not your color, Moosetracker, you must not have had much choice.

Delinquent?! H'mmmmm......OK, I'm good with that one.

Edit: NJ, this is a living example of evolution. No telling where the thread will be in another week.

Edited by packsaddle