Whither Order of The Arrow?

"Whither"

My latin refernces apparently aren't being understood.

<< Quo vadis? (Classical Latin: [kÊ·oË waËÂdis], Ecclesiastical Latin: [kÊ·oË vadiËÂs]) is a Latin phrase meaning "Where are you going?"

The modern usage of the phrase refers to a Christian tradition regarding Saint Peter. According to the apocryphal Acts of Peter (Vercelli Acts XXXV[1]), Peter is fleeing from likely crucifixion in Rome at the hands of the government, and along the road outside the city he meets a risen Jesus. In the Latin translation, Peter asks Jesus "Quo vadis?", to which he replies, "Romam vado iterum crucifigi" ("I am going to Rome to be crucified again"). Peter thereby gains the courage to continue his ministry and returns to the city, to eventually be martyred by being crucified upside-down.>>

So my intention with "Whither Order of the Arrow" was to ask Where is the Order of the Arrow going?

<>

Frankly, the Indian stuff means nothing to me, and emphasizing it just gets in the way of doing service, from what I see.

But the district leader and Scouts seem happy with it, so I just bowed out and will let them go their way.

Seems like a waste of time and energy to me.

... But the question is whether or not it _should_ be a large part of scouting ....

When it comes to questions like this, I don't ask if today's boys find it popular. I ask myself "Is it good for the nation?"

Is learning about (and to some degree reenacting) the trials, tribulations, creativity, and resourcefulness of the peoples who worked this land before we farmed and industrialized it helpful? Will being exposed to this caricature of an ancient way of life (that in all likelihood differs from that of the boy's ancestors) enable a boy to be a better citizen? Will memories of those drum pulses, dances, and nights under the stars help the mind negotiate the sometimes barren world of STEM? Will even a cursory understanding of the many nations on American soil yield more knowledgeable voters?

If the answer to those questions is affirmative, then trying to get an "outsider's inside view" of N/A tradition is worthwhile. And, honestly, until the college anthropology courses, O/A was the only place that provided any material for my curious mind.

<

>>

Does it advance the MISSION of the Boy Scouts?

In my opinion, no. In fact, the promotion of Indian mythology gets in the way of OA as a service organization, in my opinion.

This is just stuff left over from the early days of Scouting when it was heavily based on Indian mythology. I don't think many 11-18 years olds have much interest in living Indian, although a few can apparently be persuaded to take an interest in that.

But not many. And that gets in the way of the Mission of Boy Scouts, in my opinion.

This is about the same as promoting the culture of ancient Druids if that were the aim of OA.

I was inducted into the Order of the Arrow in your lodge, T'Kope Kwiskwis, back in 1974 or 1975. I have vivid memories of the ceremonies in the long house. I was very happy to hear it has been rebuilt and opened again.

There should be ways to serve the order without being involved in the Native American aspects of it. I'm a chapter adviser. The chapter has a Chief and several Vice Chiefs. There's a Vice Chief of Inductions, a Vice Chief of Events, a Vice Chief of Service and Camping, a Vice Chief of Communications, and a Vice Chief of Indian Affairs. I advise the Chief and there is an adviser for each of the Vice Chiefs. I'm sure the chapter you're a part of probably has a similar structure. As such, you could certainly check to see if the chapter needs an adviser for a Vice Chief that isn't involved in the Native American aspects.

Also, perhaps the emphasis is on the Native American aspects of things because there hasn't been anyone able to concentrate on the other aspects of the OA traditions so those aspects have suffered. An adviser dedicated to say, service, might help give the proper balance back to the chapter.

I suggest talking to the Chapter Adviser. Let him or her know that you are interested in getting involved and about how you would like to help.

... Does it advance the MISSION of the Boy Scouts? ...

Does it help to prepare young people to make ethical and moral decisions? IMHO more than STEM does.

Oh, and no offense to Druids, but they didn't exactly populate the continent we live on.

I agree that "subculture worship" can be a distraction, but it can also result in boys discovering new avenues of service, here's a neat link that shows how http://www.oa-bsa.org/pages/content/lodge-ledger-2013-05-3.

Interesting topic. I can see where for some, American Indian Affairs (AIA for short, what it was called when I was very active) takes over and they lose the sense of service. I've seen that happen with one lodge's AIA group, to the point that many do not want to associate with them.

But I also know how folks involved in AIA over the years HAVE (emphasis) provided service not only to Scouting, but also to the Native American Community.

When I was active, both as a youth and adult, I was involved in AIA, and we did lots of Cub Scout ceremonies, as well as demonstrations, dances, etc I still remember performing in front of over 10,000 folks at one event the council was hosting. Yes it's a lot of fun, but it is also a lot of work.

As for helping the Native American community, OA came about during a time when it was illegal for Native Americans to do some things. OA members involved in AIA have been involved in researching, and at times keeping alive. I've read and have been told stories on how folks worked with the Native American communities so much, that they have been adopted into families. I know folks who have brought back lost craft skills, assisted in research for filing for state and federal recognition status, and are members of different Native American societies that provide specific services to the specific Native American community.

AIA isn't for everyone. And yes some folks can go overboard. But it also provides a way to serve.

LeCastor,

Back in our day, it did mean something to get elected. It was harder to get it, and it might take 2, 3, even 4 years to get in because of the formula used for electing youth at the time: You may only vote for 1/2 of those eligible, and they must get 50% of the votes. Usually 1/2 those eligible would be elected. So it meant something when you did finally get in (third time was the charm for me ;) )

Now you can vote for everyone eligible. Heck even the troop trouble maker can get in because peers feel sorry for him if he gets left behind.

The Aboriginal Native mythology must be getting in the way of his Christian/Jewish/Muslim/etc. mythology.

One might as well use the shotgun approach and tick everyone off while they're at it. :)

Stosh

• Upvote 1

<< Sorry, Seattle, I guess my knowledge of "archaic literary" adverbs is sub-par. :D

>>

Heh, heh!

The awkward part was when I had a typo on the title of the thread and it came out "White Order of the Arrow" Then I discovered I couldn't edit the title of a thread to correct that.

Fortunately one of the moderators must have corrected what otherwise would have looked strange, if not offensive!