BSA should celebrate Smokey the Bear's Birthday this August!

Regarding a Camp Fire Girl' date=' more outdoorsy seems likely. ....[/quote']

An aunt of mine is a depression-era Camp Fire Girl, and still carries vivid memories of those summer weeks under canvas away from the drudgery of life in an immigrant family. She (along with a lady from church who was an outdoor oriented Girl Scout mom) is my prime motivation to persevere with starting a Crew when women two generations younger kept expressing this bizarre popular "outdoor aversion".

Smokey Bear would be proud.

April, 2014, HARRISON, Neb.

The final tree has been planted in a 25-year effort to reforest portions of western Nebraska's Fort Robinson State Park that were devastated by a massive wildfire which burned 48,000 acres in 1989.

About 1,400 members of the Boy Scouts of the Longs Peak Council and other volunteers planted 10,500 trees at Fort Robinson State Park on Saturday. Since the first planting of 300 to 400 pine trees in 1990, more than 450,000 trees have been planted at Fort Robinson.

http://bit.ly/SPoP2s

http://columbustelegram.com/news/sta...12e3eeb0f.html

• Upvote 1
Why is there a Camp Fire Girl instead of a Girl Scout in this poster?

Possibly because Campfire predates GS and was directly connected to Dan Beard, as his sister was a founder and he was on boards related to it. A number of years ago, back when forums were very basic and difficult to follow, I ran across a discussion by a Beard family member talking about her grandfather or father, campfire, and Dan Beard. She had some very cryptic comments related to scouting at the time, but I did not know how to save such info then, so it is long gone, at least for me.