UPS and Intel end support of BSA

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not advocating for a change in the leader requirement, just noticing that corporate funding is starting to be withheld. National will have to replace the funds somehow and I suspect they'll come knocking on the volunteer Scouter's door.

It's a dead horse to some because they don't want to be reminded that the policy is costing the BSA money and prestige.

To others, its just the dissemination of further information, keeping them up to date on the latest.

"$85k doesn't even pay of one secretary at irvine......"

But it does keep the BSA, whether this was a grant to a local council or to national, from either having to dig into a different "bucket" in order to fund whatever part of the program this grant was funding (now the BSA has to make up the $85K elsewhere) or letting that part of the program be diminished (or disappear) because they don't have the funds to make up for the loss of the grant.

As Cal notes, it's not the $85K. It's the issue that mainstream businesses are beginning to view the BSA as too controversial to associate with. It's brand image issue and further indicates the brand image is tarnished. Given this turn of events how proud do you think the thousands of families that work for Intel and UPS are likely to join the BSA? Solicit their co-workers for popcorn sales? Proudly change into their uniform at work to attend a meeting? ...if the executives at the firms feel the organization is not worthy of financial support.

SA

Sorry -this issue is NOT a dead horse - because the issue is not settled. Each time a corporation drops support, the horse keeps running. Each time a Charter Org accepts gays and lesbians (US Military, Presbyterians, Lutherans), the horse gets more energy.

Dead Horse means the debate is over and there is no reason to keep on discussing. Because our society is changing, this is NOT a dead horse. Instead, this is an issue that continues to have a cost in membership and support. Many have commented that money is what impacts Irving - so a loss of money might be another step in getting their attention.

I'm with scoutingagain on this one...

Along with the sea of corporate donors starting to dry up, I fear whether my 11 y/o accomplishments in scouting (if he does make it to Eagle) will carry the same weight / prestige as in generations past. It seems a good amount of folks outside of scouting do NOT make the distinction between national's membership policy and the scouts in the local units.

At what point does the Eagle rank begin to be viewed by outsiders as the "top" echelon of a bigoted organization? Yeah, you may have worked hard to get to that rank, but so did the Grand Wizard of the KKK, or the ruler of the Black Panthers...

Not exactly the same - but you see the comparison.

I fear the years and hard work put into the program by the volunteers and YOUTH will hold little meaning in secular society if the trend continues. National's unwillingness to at least entertain a local option and put this issue to rest in the general public stands to not only put the organization in a dire financial situation, it also CHEAPENS the prestige of the youth's work and achievements!

Public opinion and corporate branding take a long time to develop and very little time to destroy. Ask anyone that works for a bank that took TARP funds, or an automaker that took bailout money. While the public understands the difference between a corporations actions and its employees, most still associate one with the other. Chic-fil-A is another good example. WalMart with its unfriendly corporate neighbor reputation, etc... BSA needs to take note on this and understand the long term consequences of inaction on this issue.

I wonder if it even means anything to have your Eagle rank on a college application anymore? Or if you would be encouraged to omit such a fact depending on which college you are applying to? It will be a very sad day when the youth are made to be ashamed of their association with scouting. I'm just wondering if and how soon that day might come?

Dean (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

Horizon: To me, it's a dead horse TOPIC. The issue itself is NOT a dead horse. It's a dead horse topic because no matter our feelings on the subject, We can discuss it all we like, but it won't change National's policy. I think about 90-95% of us in this forum would agree the policy is bad. Opening topic after topic every time something new develops on the subject doesn't get us an inch closer to changing BSA Policy.

Dean I think your questions on what will Eagle mean to society is valid. I fear when people find out that I'm an Eagle, it changes their opinion of me. It's a very valid question in a college environment.

Exactly.

At one time folks would proudly put Eagle Scout on a job application or resume. In my current organiztion a former CEO was an Eagle scout, as were his sons. He used to host an annual luncheon for Eagle scouts in the firm. The firm routinely attended local council fund raisers at $1000+ per plate. Several years ago the Board of Directors, decided to no longer participate in BSA fundraising activities.

And I frankly wonder how an Eagle scout is now perceived. I would have to advise an Eagle scout to not highlight this acheivement if he were to apply for a position.

SA

So Sentinel, the next logical question is...

How do we (volunteers at the local level) keep the issue from being a dead horse? There HAS to be some way to convey the message to national and at least have them hear what the masses are saying?

To leave it to outsiders (i.e. disgruntled ex-scouts turning in their awards, and LBGT organizations) seems like a no-win situation. These outside influences would rather see BSA destroyed than changed, and I fear they may see their efforts come to fuition.

Its an issue I struggle with almost daily. How to associate with an organization I feel does a great amount of good for both the youth and the community at large, but is very misguided in a couple of its policies at the national level.

If one was to bring the issue forward, does one risk being asked to leave BSA? No policy I know of states you can be excluded fro disagreeing with the membership policy, only if you ARE gay, then you cannot be a leader. However, I seem to think the reason only outside groups are the ones forcing the issue is there is sufficient FEAR in the ranks that if volunteers make their true feelings known, they would not be volunteers for much longer.

That is a VERY scary thought.

Scoutingagain, I'm rather proud of my time in the BSA, and if that counts against me in hiring, so be it.

Dean. I am unsure about what BSA's nationals position is on members disagreeing with the policy. I too think it's a great organization, but I don't see a way to force National's hand except for the ravages of time. I think as the National Board goes on, more liberal people will come on, and it will change it's policy. I fear at that point the damage may be done. I think even if the BSA about faces on the issue, I don't forsee a groundswell of support for the BSA coming from all the people who are currently opposed to it.