We No Longer Have A Moral Compass

News coverage has a way of reporting more bad news than good because bad news is usually more intruiging to the reader and is usually out oif the ordinary.

Good deeds are usually done much quieter and and attract far less attention so even though they happen more you hear about them less.

When good news is reported more than bad that is the time to worry, because it means the good is less common than the bad news.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob has a good point! Which means it won't be reported by the news media. Good news, unless it is a life saving incident or something of that magnitude isn't reported. Why? It usually isn't exciting enough. Not enough drama associated with it. Bad news, on the other hand, is exciting or can be made exciting easier & usually has tons of drama! This is one reason the only news I watch is sports.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

I do agree that we have lost our moral compass. We torture our war prisoners and think nothing of it. Even our chief justice of the supreme court said torture was OK and didn't violate the constitution because we weren't punishing them, just extracting information.

Now if we had convicted them of a crime and tortured them as punishment, well that's immoral and unconstitutional.

Morality can be absolute. The 10 Commandments are but one example of an absolute morality.

Morality can be relative. "The end justifies the means" is but one example of relative morality.

If you believe in Dr Pangloss from Candide, that "This is the best of all possible worlds...", then you look at the drift and wonder what's going on.

If you believe in Romans 3:19-20 (and Romans 3:23), you say "yep, we humans are being dumb sheep... again."

I happen to start from the latter POV.

>> Well eagledad, back in November you seemed to be arguing against relative morality as just being whoever has the biggest stick, while absolute, unchangable "religious" morality was the way to go...

Well, I disagree, given that god has rules for the proper way to keep and hold slaves, just for one example. And I never see gods themselves issuing rules, only people claiming to speak for them, which is why basic societal rules like whether polygamy is OK have never been settled. On a more practical basis, since nobody can demonstrate to everyone's satisfaction that their particular rules actually ARE "the" absolute rules, it all ends up being argued by people anyway.