The Guy who Killed the Red Berets still at it

OldGreyEagle

I have 2 questions for you.

Number 1

Why do you keep bringing up your beloved Red Berets, by now you have to know what is going to be said about them! :)

Number 2

Do you own a 68 vette?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the article in the newspaper that Curtis Sliwa was producing more Guardian Angels for a nearby town and my heart covulsed as I thought how he destroyed the red beret. Guradian Angels wore a red beret so people could identify them and they were way to close to the BSA red beret. I couldnt and still cant beleive this guy in making a career out of Vigilanteeism especially after Bernard Goetz. Maybe Paul Kersey had a point.

The Troop of my youth had a Gung Ho Patrol. It was comprised of guys who took scouting seriously, especially Camporees. Membership was limited, you had to have an "expert" level of knowledge in a scout skills and be proficient in two others and then be let in by the other members. We were the only members of the Troop "allowed" to wear the Red Beret's as it distinguished us as "elite". To me the Red Beret reminds me of being a member of a high performance team long before that term was coined. A team whose members were respected and admired and that was the first time for me

While I would love to own a '68 vette. I dont, neither do I or have I owned any year vette (why do you ask?)

The formation of the Gung Ho patrol was something the Scoutmaster came up with after a few near altercations between Patrol members during and after Camporees. Seems like a some scouts didnt really feed off the competitive nature of the events and others did. The scoutmaster put the guys who really into it into the Gung Ho patrol and told them to run themselves. And they did. I got in because I knew morse code and fire building and knots. I am not sure it was the model for Patrol Organization in the late '60s early '70s but it worked for us. (now, where I have I heard that before?)

The red berets always spark controversey as this thread has shown, some loved them, some hated but they did elicit some reaction.

The only reason I ask about the car is that I am kind of a car nut.

And I was just picturing you driving with the top down in your scout uniform and the red beret plastered on your head. :)

Thank you for the story about your time as a scout, I enjoyed it.

Funny you should mention cars though. The first car I ever "owned" was a 1963 Belair, It had a door stop in the driver side window to keep it from falling down as the car had been in an accident, (previous owner, not me) and the frame was twisted and the window works removed. Because of the twisted frame, the drivers side door would not open. The girls thought I was such a gentleman, I would open the door for them, then I would jump in, cost me a few points on the "smooth o meter". My next car was a 1967 Chevy II, with a three speed manual transmision on the column. Then came the "best" car, a 1959 Studebaker Silver Hawk. Still had a manual 3 speed transmission, but it had gauges and not idiot lights and the hood was supported by a quarter inch steel rod. I used to wonder what would have happened if I ever broadsided a Vega, I think it would have cut it in two. Lantern lamps mounted on a real chrome bumper and high fins in the back, that takes me back. Of course it burned more oil that gas so I had to get rid of it(This message has been edited by oldgreyeagle)

"I saw the article in the newspaper that Curtis Sliwa was producing more Guardian Angels for a nearby town and my heart covulsed as I thought how he destroyed the red beret. Guradian Angels wore a red beret so people could identify them and they were way to close to the BSA red beret. I couldnt and still cant beleive this guy in making a career out of Vigilanteeism especially after Bernard Goetz."

Good Lord man! Get a grip!

Destroyed the red beret? BSA did that because it was a stupid hat, stupid because no one knew how to wear it. Yes, BSA destroyed the red beret.

Vigilatism? Last time I checked the GA is nothing more than a big neighborhood watch. No one gets shot, no one gets hung. There aren't any midnight raid on gang hideouts by masked men.

I suppose you are one who believes that we should depend on the po-leese to pro-tect us. As a ghetto dwelling friend once told me, the po-leese only show up after someone is dead. The po-leese chiefs tell us that we don't have to worry about protecting ourselves because they're there to protect us. That is until something happens. Then the po-leese say, "we can't be everywhere, lock your door and cower in your kitchens." Heck, even the Supreme Court has said that the po-leese have no obligation to protect anyone.

I have a Studebaker story also!

The year was 1974 the Ford dealer has a Studebaker golden hawk for sale. I really wanted that car, put I bought a 1962 Chevy II instead.

Of all of the cars I have owned the only one I wish I had keep was the 1965 Olds 442. And I wished I would have bought that Hawk and held onto it and sold it last year, when the prices where so high for collectors cars.

Che Guevara wore a beret and his image wearing it became a counterculture icon worldwide after CIA operatives helped in his capture and execution in Bolivia.

Not sure if it was a red beret.

• 10 months later...

::Toying with the thought whether or not to turn this into another "Am not, Are Too" argument along the lines of Ed and Merlyn::

well, now, We are all allowed to have our opinions, and I respect the right and privilege of another to hold an opinion contrary to my own

even if its a blasted dumb stupid and otherwise imbelcilic opinion

GRRRRR!

Talk about a guy who killed a beret: http://www.army.mil/features/beret/beret.htm

Gen. Eric Shinseki took the black beret away from the 75th Infantry Rangers, and gave it to the whole US Army; as if bestowing elite headgear made all the legs better soldiers. Now the Rangers have switched to wearing a light tan beret. Last I heard, the Army berets were being made in China.

I second WVCubDad's instuctions on proper wear and care. The only thing I can add is that berets don't suffer too much from being rolled up and stuffed in a pants cargo pocket.

I suspect those that hate the Red Beret are the same people who weren't skillful and competant enough to break in and wear the beret correctly. You know the ones - those that wore it as if it were a mushroom cap. They're probably the same people who have to have a different tool for every situation - folks for whom a hat is a hat, a potholder is a potholder and never the twain shall meet.

Sure, the Beret's didn't keep the sun out of your eyes - but that's what mirrored sunglasses or aviator sunglasses were for (talk about looking sharp with a beret!). But they could be used as potholders, emergency bandages (I don't care who you are, if you have to try to stop a seriously bleeding wound, a non-sterile, probably dirty beret is better than nothing, and better than one's bare hands), a seat cover, an emergency bucket, a pillow (stuff the inside with something soft, it makes a nice little pillowcase), or a Frisbee. Try doing any of that with a baseball cap!

Calico

Whatever hat you choose, please take it off inside. I have boys come to BORs with their troop baseball cap on and absolutely no idea they should take it off.

I'm still looking for my iconic headgear.

Beret's are nice. I had a navy blue one with sea scout insignia with my old ship. Wish I hadn't traded it for those Russian scout patches now. :(

Now I did get a grey Air Scout beret fromthe UK. It looks sharp with the Venturing uniform :)

But as for iconic headwear, I'll take a "smokey bears" any day ;)(This message has been edited by eagle92)

Ahh, but JoeBob....

You obviously didn't see that cover photo of Soldiers Magazine back in early 2001... the one where 1LT Tom White was in country in RVN and wearing his tanker's black beret ... in 1967 or so.

You remember Tom White, don't you? He was later COL Tom White, umpteenth Regimental Commander of the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment on the GDP in the early 80s, and, at the time General Shinseki was the Chief, he was the Secretary of the Army...

From what this old fart Artilleryman knows, the Infantry (meaning the 75th) stole the beret from the Armor!