2010 last Jambo at AP Hill

Oh, Lord, can you see the environmental impact report?

What would happen if we bought additional plateau acreage at Philmont for this? Would the environment be able to take quadrennial surge of folks into a semi-sized city?

I have read the this as well. From what I'm told this has less to do with the ACLU and its fight than it has to do with the fact that the Army is in an ever-changing environment at the moment and AP Hill is an active training facility.

I have been told that the Army is helping the BSA locate a new location and they have identified something like 12 possibilities so far. I have seen some of the requirements and WOW! It shall be interesting what happens.

I'll do some digging; I believe this has been discussed here before and if not I know on another site it has been.

I suggest the greater Kansas City area, the geographic center of the U.S. I can get there by car in under 12 hours, and all major airlines and Amtrak run right through there, plus it will give me a chance to meet all those wonderful Missouri scouts and scouters and have a great steak dinner, too :).

I'm sure John or Gunny could recommend a good location to National.

I have read that the 2010 will be the last NSJ at Fort AP Hill the reason I was given was that the DoD have found a new use for how they are going to use the Fort.

There was a sheet with a list of what the BSA would like to see available in a new site. The list was very extensive.

I have also heard that the keeping the new new site near to Washington DC is also on the wish list, so Scouts do get to visit the Nations capital.

I haven't heard how the search is going? Or if they have found a new location.

As yet for the 2010 Jambo the Council I serve seems to have done very little.

Talking with one of our local professionals, it looks like the price tag is going to be around $1,800.

We are only about a four hour drive from the Jamboree site, but it seems that the companies we have used in the past to transport the Scouts to and from the site have really had to increase the cost they charge due to the fuel costs. Trying to get them to quote a price for 2010 has nor been easy.

For a family I'm thinking that with all the extras it is going to end up costing them about $2,000 per person.

Sending one family member might not be to bad, but in 2005 my ASM paid for himself and his two boys to attend.

I'm thinking that for $6,000 the family could go on a really nice vacation and he might even take his wife!!

Eamonn.

Kansas is good. Mitchell, SD is also good, maybe even Sturgis. Maybe near an airline hub like SLC. Actually, that's a great idea. Fly to SLC and then bus to Jackson, WY or better yet, out in the Salt Lake Desert. Or maybe the Phoenix area. If they wanted to do it at an Army base, I'd love to see it at Ft. Benning...that would be convenient to Atlanta - or one of the bases in Texas, convenient to several major airports. Yes, the Houston area - in the summer - a bunch of overweight people camping outdoors - sweatin' to the oldies....yeah!

Being an Okie, just let me say that Kansas in the summer isn't much better than Virginia in the summer. I vote for something a wee bit cooler and less humid like Colorado. Besides, it is time that we west of the Mississippi get a price break. The 2005 cost for us was $1900 which is the same price they charged for 2001. It was danged difficult to keep the cost at that price and will be impossible for 2010. I'm guessing $2200 to $2400 this time. Of course, if you cut out the DC touring, the price drops drastically.

There's some marvelous recreation lakes east of Denver on the high prairie.

Problem is and will be that National has to find a use for the land during the off-years, whether that be farming or ranching. I don't think National can afford fallow land 3 years out of four!

Years ago, wasn't Gettysburg a major site for Jamborees? Could it be again? I defer to Ed and Eamonn our Pennsylvanians for input!

I have heard and I have no idea if it' true or not (Other than the person who told me seems to know about this stuff most of the time!)

That 12 sites have been identified that met the needs and criteria. ( of those 9 are in the NER)

I'm sure when "They" want us to know, we will.

Ea

" I'm guessing $2200 to $2400 this time. Of course, if you cut out the DC touring, the price drops drastically."

I was told that if you just want to vist for a day, the price is over $100. Evidently nothing about the Jamboree is cheap.

The land east of Denver (flat praire) could be leased out from the farmers for the Jambo years (cover their crop loss), in fact, I think most of their crops is winter wheat anyways. Lots of giant 10K acre tracts out there. The farmers could just plow and replant during the off years. Close to a major airport and Amtrak station, support from a major metro area. Side trips to the Rocky mountains. Central to the US. Win win?

"I was told that if you just want to visit for a day, the price is over $100. Evidently nothing about the Jamboree is cheap"

While the people in charge of the last World Jamboree (For some reason it wasn't managed by the UK Scout International Division) did charge visitors to the World Jambo. In the past the BSA has never charged.

I haven't look to see if they will in 2010. But I somehow can't see it.

The BSA sees the Jamboree as a giant PR event.

Sadly it missed the mark in 2005.

The Scouts in the Troop I was with had a great time. We at times when we read the papers were unsure if what was being reported was in fact the Jamboree we were at.

Eamonn