Religious Organization?

There's a "long form" of the DRP??? So when we sign the adult app, which one are we agreeing to, the "long" or "short" form??? Pet peeve...asking me to agree to things that I can't see or don't have access to. Didn't we learn never to sign contracts that contained blank spaces or ambiguities?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh- that is a surprisingly interesting question. And, as Merlyn suggests, not one that is easily resolved. The answer largely depends on useage of the word "religion", which means different things to different people. Nonetheless, I suspect that the answer may range somewhere between "hundreds" and "thousands". On the other side, I would guess that the number of non-monotheistic religions is in the several thousands.

Not that it really has any bearing on the BSA's contorted interpretation of the DRP.

I too am surprised at the high estimate of the number of monotheists in the world population. How do you go about counting people in Peoples' Republic of China? As far as I know, the PRC is officially atheist, and presumably most of the people there do not practice any religion at all.(This message has been edited by eisely)

Bob, what's your point?

scoutldr, you sign off on the short form, but you're agreeing to abide by the long form. The registration form says you're agreeing to the DRP, but only prints an excerpt from it, not the whole thing. The long form of the DRP does not seem to be on scouting.org; maybe that's so they can change it whenever they feel like it, and inform the proles whenever they get around to it, much like their "no gays" policy was a secret, internal policy for so long.

The CIA factbook on China doesn't have much of a breakdown on religion, it just says:

Daoist (Taoist), Buddhist, Christian 3%-4%, Muslim 1%-2%

note: officially atheist (2002 est.)

I've seen other sources state that a lot of Chinese are lumped under "Chinese folk religions" and presumably fall under "other religions" in the CIA categories, with some in non-religious, atheist, Buddhists, Christians, and Muslims. But with about 20% of the world's population, they'd be the bulk of other religions and non-religious, and possibly atheists and/or Buddhists. But Daoist/Taoist wasn't large enough to get their own group under world religions, even though the smallest, Baha'is, were 0.12%

AHHHHGGG! The tension is killing me! Bob, let me answer for Merlyn so you can tell us why your question is relevant. Inquiring minds want to know!

BobWhite:"66% really? how about that. And how many diffrent religions would say make up that 66%?"

The answer to your question is 3. You gots your Muslims, your Jews, and your Christians. Now of course, there are lots of different Muslims and Jews and probably a thousand different Christian groups. But if you group them by the most basic theology, I'd say 3 monotheistic religions.

Now PLEAZZZZZZE tell us why this is relevant?