Inappropriate Adult Knots

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merlyn & Ed - take it outside. Please don't highjack the thread.

I once had a Scout come up to me and state that he really didn't believe in God. No, I don't have any specific tolerant insignia on my uniform. I asked him what he thought of the Scout Oath and Law. Well, he said he agreed with them (don't ask how or why, a teenager's mind is a complex thing). He was, in my view, an excellent Scout. He was a definite benefit to our troop. He was not that interested in rank advancement but was very bright and served well as an SPL. I had no intentions of questioning his Scout spirit although I know some felt I should have. I didn't share his revalation with others.

I would hope that as a Scoutmaster, Scouts would feel free to talk to me about anything without fear of repercussions. Granted, none have confessed to me about an axe murder but neither have they brought up their sexuality to date (good!).

And to think that after all these years I thought we had a few Hawaii athletic fans in Scouting.

Acco40, as far as I know, I've known three ax murderers, a few murderers by other means, and one serial killer so far. How COOL is that!

The SK and one of the AMs were friends of mine at one time. The others were co-workers at a summer job I had for a few summers (a REALLY interesting place, I might add).

Actually the AM did his deed to his wife while I knew him. I never suspected a thing. She just vanished and a search was on. Then he was arrested. To this day I just can't see this guy even picking up the ax, much less doing something like that. Really sordid story, that one.

The SK was eventually executed in Oklahoma. When I bring his name up at class reunions, no one seems to want to talk about him for some reason. Like it is taboo or something. Weird! "Say, I just heard that old what's-his-name was executed...so how about you, out on parole?" ;)

Thankfully, they weren't scouts and, needless to say, they never confessed anything to me.

I was going to come up with a "No Uniform Method" patch and socks for a few people here, but I think a "No Uniform Method" knot will be much more popular. Everyone who objects to the BSA Uniform or certain parts, or wants to protest BSA policies by wearing silly illegal knots, can now add another one to their shirt. A white knot on a white background, symbolizing "we surrender" when it comes to the Uniform Method.

How about another knot protesting the age of 18 discrimmination? The expanded SCHP legislation defined "children" as those up to age 24. If the government wants to declare them as children, why shouldn't the BSA?

How about a pretty pink knot protesting the discrimination of girls?

Hey, Gonzo - you ever see one of those anti-BSA rainbow knots on a uniform in your council? I've never seen one here in the AAC, and hope I don't.

I understand the desire to discuss the merits of the knot but the whole arguement is a non-starter.

It is not an offical knot and should not be worn on the uniform. Not by anyone, anytime. Period. End of discussion.

How can we expect scouts and scouters to wear the uniform correctly if we don't first set the example? We should first look at our own uniform and make sure that all the patches are in the correct location, correct orientation, and we are only wear patches that are approved to be worn by the BSA insignia guide. Let's make sure we are not wearing too many of some patches, like a string of quality unit awards. Let's make sure we have correct orientation, for instance approved knots have a right and left, an up and down.

If you only wear the approved patches in the correct location with the correct orientation, then this knot has no bearing.

Egad. I'm finding myself agreeing with BrentAllen on a uniform issue :)

Now I'm the first to laugh at "untrainable" patches and such. I think humor is an absolutely necessary part of working with kids, especially self-effacing humor. And I'm the last to turn a kids' program uniform into the equivalent of an employment or military uniform in terms of expectations. Folks who want that should go get a job with a uniformed agency. I've got no problem with a religious CO adding a patch or purple loops or whatnot, it's their program, and we in the BSA respect that.

But I gotta say, the protest knots just go a bit too far for my taste. Just strikes me as discourteous in the other direction. The uniform is the uniform of an organization, and when we wear it we are to some extent seen as spokespeople for the organization. If yeh can't do that honestly, don't wear the uniform. You can be a scouter without it. That to me is a better choice than mocking it, or wearing a device that says "only I care about you, so talk to me" or whatever. Just sorta seems nasty about the organization and other leaders.

Seems like a lame way to protest, too. Low-cost. If yeh really care about the issue, lobby your COR to vote for different representatives to the national meeting. Picket the council annual meeting where that selection takes place.

Just my thoughts.

Beavah

Next, we'll have all-red, blue, and green knots so the boys know which leaders they can discuss politics with....

Discussions over sexuality between a Scout and a registered adult have absolutely no place in the Scouting program. Period. There are times and places where it is appropriate, but not in Scouting.

Likewise for politics....