• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I never understood that big deal over the stars anyway, those with superior written skills and masterful rhetorical presentation were recognized while base cellar dwelling intellect was soundly rewarded as well."

And I always thought it was the envelopes stuffed with small unmarked bills... ;^)

Marty, a couple of years ago my son's Cub pack camped on the Massachusetts, but we did not go due to a combination of family obligations as well as, well, I really wasn't excited about the idea of driving 4 or 5 hours to sleep on a ship. My son was disappointed, but I did promise him that when we got the chance to go to the New Jersey (which I think had just been opened to the public at that time), we would go. I did not know about the other vessels in Falls River, Mass. Now that my son is a bit older and better able to understand and appreciate what he is seeing, the trip to the Massachusetts may make more sense, even just as a family day-trip rather than an encampment with the Boy Scouts. As I suggested in my earlier post, I think age is a factor, I am not really sure what the Cub-age boys really got out of the trip, as opposed to my son and the rest of his troop, who thought everything was "totally cool." They would have been even happier if they could have fired a few shells out of the big guns, but hey, you can't have everything.

Forget the conspiracies, the ratings, politics, nevermind the scandals...I saw Barbara Eden on the news last night and maaan-ooooh-maaaan...she's still beautiful as ever. Rooster and I don't disagree on everything after all.

NJ -

I agree with you on what the boys get out of it being driven by age.

The Pack has a history of one "big" pack event each year - lock ins at a Museum or Aquarium, or camp ins at a semi-military/historical site.

When my son was a Wolf, we camoped out by the submarine display in Groton. It was "cool".

When my son was a Bear, we camped in on the Massachusetts. Again, on the surface, it appeared that it was just "cool". But then my son started taking history books out of the library. He asked his aunt, who was going to Hawaii, to bring him back things from Pearl Harbor. He wrote a report on the attack on Pearl Harboror school. He bought and built a model of a battleship. We are not a military family by any stretch. He has some uncles who served in the Gulf War, but do not make a big deal of it.

He eventually moved on to baseball cards and Lord of the Rings (my wife was worried about his fascination with things military for a while).

But the contact, in the context of "having fun", with WWII veterans on the ship sparked an interest in something he wasn't interested in before.

Which is what activity badges, and merit badges, and large parts of the whle Boy Scout program are ultimately about. While the boys (or youths) are having fun, they are being exposed to and learning things that we hope they will absorb.

I was pleased that it happened that way.

He would like to go on the Massachusetts year (and the camping out in the outfield at the Renegades game this summer), even though he will cross over to a troop this year, because it's "cool". Maybe he'll learn something again.(This message has been edited by Marty_Doyle)

That would be MRS. Howell to you, OGE. Anyway, the way she walked, no way would she be any good on the trail. If you liked her, you must have absolutely loved Miss Nugent from 'Oh Susannah'.

And what's this...Mary Ann over Ginger? Holy Toledo, was I watching the Mars edition of the show? Mary Ann? No way! She was cute but Ginger was, well...hubba hubba.