• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NJ,

You are so funny sometimes, I can hardly stand it.

As I remember the rating isn't as simple as the direction of a thumb. However, to test this idea, I'm going to give everyone on this thread a thumbs-up. Let's see the effect, if any. I'm not sure anyone has given us the complete algorithm for the rating calculation - it would be interesting...but not as interesting as lunch! Later.

Edited part: Ed, your wish is my command. OK...I'm waiting....feeling kind of lonely here.....(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Momentarily taking this way more seriously than it deserves, I have noticed that the "oddity" I pointed out on the second or third day of the rating system still seems to exist, that is, I have not noticed anyone, at any time, having a rating other than 0.5, 1.5, 2.5, 4.5 or 5. The first time I pointed this out, I figured it would "even out" over time, much like baseball batting averages do during the early part of a baseball season, as more and more at bats are factored in and the number of possible averages gets greater and greater until almost every whole number is "taken." That is what I thought would happen here, so that there would be SOMEONE with a "whole number" of stars (other than 5), and/or someone in the "gap" between 2.5 and 4.5, the most likely candidate being 3.5. But from all the posts I have seen, that has not happened. I don't think anyone has had 3.5 at any time. (When I first saw my ranking I thought it was 3.5, and I think I mentioned that in a post, but I have a feeling I counted wrong, and the second time I saw it, it was 2.5.)

Of course, even the "gap" between 2.5 and 4.5 does not explain why Rooster dropped from 4.5 to 1.5 with no "stop" at 2.5. That seems odd too. Well, at least the ratings system has some self-entertainment value...

Since this thread has deteriorated into a series of free bumps, I thought I'd add little. I'll give a set of thumbs up for the first person to name the character on an old late 60's TV show that used the phrase, "My stars!" Additional bumps for the name of the actor(actress) and title of the show.

SA

I don't know, Packsaddle, it could be an issue, "vote trading" doesn't sound very democratic, oops, I mean Republican, I mean republicish. But as Ayn Rand might say, if it works for you, do it, and don't worry about that poor schnook with 0.5 stars, if he deserved more he'd have 'em already. Or as Plato might say, beware of 21st Century Greek philosophers bearing library cards.

But civil disobedience? I don't know if I'd go that far, after all, it's not like we're issuing our own marriage licenses or anything.

::Running away fast::

SA,

Hmm, usually I'm pretty good on 60s TV trivia but that's a new one on me. I looked on the Internet for "my stars" but all I know now that I didn't know before is that I can get a star named after a loved one of my choice at starnamer.net for only $25.95 for the basic certificate, $69.95 for the Deluxe Gift Package. Operators are standing by.