CA state senate condemns Boy Scouts' exclusionary policy

http://www.thepresstribune.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=2954

The state senate voted 22-15 Monday in favor of a resolution critical of the Boy Scouts of

America for not accepting gays and atheists as members.

Sponsored by Assemblywoman Jackie Goldberg (D-Los Angeles), Assembly Concurrent

Resolution 89 praises the Boy Scouts for their service and role in helping youth, but the end of

the bill asks that the organization to allow all qualified applicants to join the organization without

discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation or religious belief.

With the Supreme Court ruling 5-4 in 2000 upholding the Scouts decision to bar gay troop

leaders, the organization has largely retained the right to enforce its oath and its own guidelines

for membership.

But the resolution passed Monday is an effort that Goldberg hopes will induce the organization to

change its membership rules. Pressure from gay rights supporters and groups has impacted

funding for the Boy Scouts as part of the campaign, as major donors like United Way have pulled

financial support because of the Scouts unwillingness to change their policy. The resolution

passed the Assembly in April by a vote of 43-2.

Goldberg is upbeat about her resolution passing the Senate floor, with a vote split down party

lines. She says a necessary first step toward getting the Boy Scouts into the 21st Century.

I think its important for the state of California to speak up and not be silent, and to say to the

Scouts, if you have a religious belief, thats your belief. But keep it separate from a youth-serving

agency that serves kids in all neighborhoods, Goldberg said. I hope we put pressure on them to

make this open to all kids. Anybody who knows me and my family knows we love scouting. This is

out of concern for (Scouts).

Goldberg says that she knows many scouts, including Eagle Scouts, who have quit the

organization because they dont agree with the policy.

But State Sen. Rico Oller is upset with what he sees as an attack on a private organization, in a

manner which is one form of discrimination replacing another.

Our moral values in Boy Scouts are being treated as if they were inferior values, Oller said. Gay

and lesbian groups are saying that we, with traditional Christian values, have to accept people

who are avowedly opposed to those views. The Boy Scouts should be able to be the Boy

Scouts, an organization based on faith, God and duty. You cant have it both ways.

The Boy Scouts are a private, non-profit organization, and includes support from the Mormon and

Lutheran churches. Goldberg says the issue of whether or not Scouts were even gay never even

came up until the last 10 years, which is why she is seeking to protect those who may be barred.

They ask in lots of places. They tell them in some places that you cannot be a Boy Scout if

youre gay, Goldberg said. There are a lot of kids who are not going to pretend they are not gay

anymore.

Attempts to contact the Boy Scouts local and regional offices were unsuccessful. However the

organization has gone on record as stating it hopes to move on from the issue and put it behind

them. Though the United Way and other organizations have pulled funding for the Scouts, the

group moves on, finding other donors in many instances sympathetic to a group that is caught in

the crossfire of a contentious issue.

And Oller believes the issue is really about something else.

This is about hate on the part of the radical gay and lesbian community, on organizations that

are founded on more traditional values, he said.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be curious to see the actual resolution, which I could not find on the Internet and is not linked-to in this article. The headline says "condemns" and the first paragraph of the story says "criticizes" but later when it makes a quick reference to what the resolution actually says, it sounds a lot "milder" than that. It never actually quotes any language that sounds like a condemnation or even criticism. The only reference is that it asks the BSA to change it policy -- something that several BSA councils have already done.

However, I am sure everybody will just focus on the "condemn" part without really being sure what was actually said.

This seems to be the final version of the bill as passed:

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_0051-0100/acr_89_bill_20030825_enrolled.html

BILL NUMBER: ACR 89 ENROLLED

BILL TEXT

PASSED THE SENATE AUGUST 25, 2003

PASSED THE ASSEMBLY APRIL 24, 2003

AMENDED IN ASSEMBLY APRIL 10, 2003

INTRODUCED BY Assembly Member Goldberg

(Coauthors: Assembly Members Bermudez, Chu, Diaz, Dutra,

Firebaugh, Hancock, Kehoe, Koretz, Laird, Leno, Lieber, Longville,

Lowenthal, Montanez, Nation, Pavley, Ridley-Thomas, Vargas, and

Wiggins

(Coauthor: Senator Kuehl)

APRIL 8, 2003

Assembly Concurrent Resolution No. 89--Relative to the Boy Scouts

of America.

LEGISLATIVE COUNSEL'S DIGEST

ACR 89, Goldberg. Boy Scouts of America.

This measure would recognize the efforts of Boy Scouts who earn

the rank of Eagle Scout and encourage the Boy Scouts of America to

accept for membership and leadership positions all qualified boys and

men, without discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation or

religious belief.

WHEREAS, Since the founding of the Boy Scouts of America, millions

of Boy Scouts have taken the experience of scouting and gone on to

contribute great things to society; and

WHEREAS, A Boy Scout can be followed, as he is a leader in his

troop and community, regardless of the scout's race, color, religion,

ancestry, national origin, political affiliation, sexual

orientation, or disability; and

WHEREAS, The list of former Boy Scouts includes diverse role

models and leaders; and

WHEREAS, A Boy Scout lives honorably, not only because honor is

important to him, but because of the significant example he sets for

other scouts; and

WHEREAS, Loyalty to his troop and brother scouts makes him

"pitch-in" and carry his share of the load, recognizing the devotion

to his family and the community in which he lives; and

WHEREAS, A Boy Scout's courage means standing up for what he

believes in without compromising his own beliefs; and

WHEREAS, A Boy Scout looks forward to each day, seeking his share

of the world's work to do; and

WHEREAS, Honor, loyalty, and courage are hallmarks of scouts who

admirably represent the community, council, and troop in their daily

lives; and

WHEREAS, A Boy Scout always wears a smile as a constant reminder

of cheerfulness; and

WHEREAS, A Boy Scout is helpful in service and will always "Be

Prepared" to put forth his best; and

WHEREAS, The character traits represented by Boy Scouts are

symbols present in the Boy Scout badge, worn proudly on the uniform,

by youth in this state and across the country; and

WHEREAS, It is the mission of the Boy Scouts of America to serve

others by helping to instill values in young people, and in other

ways to prepare them to make ethical choices over their lifetime in

achieving their full potential; and

WHEREAS, The values that the Boy Scouts of America strives to

instill are found in the Boy Scout Oath and Law; and

WHEREAS, Boy Scouts are required to abide by the Scout Law and

Scout Oath which proudly uses such terms as "honor," "trustworthy,"

and "loyal;" and

WHEREAS, Many Boy Scouts have been forced to hide their identity

in contradiction to the Scout Mission, Law, and Oath, and Boy Scouts

and scout leaders who were open about their sexual orientation have

been expelled from scouting; and

WHEREAS, The policy of the Boy Scouts of America to bar from

membership or leadership positions otherwise qualified individuals

solely on the basis of their sexual orientation or religious belief

causes harm to the innumerable boys and men such as James Dale who,

regardless of their hard work and merits, are denied the opportunity

to hold the rank of Eagle Scout or participate in any way in the Boy

Scouts of America; and

WHEREAS, Many former Boy Scouts have left scouting and formed

their own inclusive organization, Scouting for All, in an effort to

bring the values of scouting to youth without discrimination; and

WHEREAS, The discriminatory policy of the Boy Scouts of America is

contrary to the policy of the State of California; and

WHEREAS, Other similar organizations such as the Girl Scouts, Camp

Fire Boys and Girls, and the Boys and Girls Club serve as role

models for the Boy Scouts of America because they do not discriminate

against youth and adults; now, therefore, be it

Resolved by the Assembly of the State of California, the Senate

thereof concurring, That the Legislature recognizes the outstanding

efforts of Boy Scouts who, through persistence and hard work, earn

the rank of Eagle Scout; and be it further

Resolved, That the Legislature encourages the Boy Scouts of

America to accept for membership and leadership positions, including

the rank of Eagle Scout, all qualified boys and men, without

discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation or religious

belief; and be it further

Resolved, That the Chief Clerk of the Assembly transmit copies of

this resolution to the author for appropriate distribution.

I think it's about time we start a campaign condemning the United Way. Between the pulling of support for Scouting and the way the charity conned the American people regarding the fund raising post 911, I'm done giving to the United Way, and I'll tell 10 people, who'll tell 10 people.....

Merlyn lies again.

I don't see "condem" anywhere in the bill itself. What I see is that the lawmakers from the Land of Fruits and Nuts "encouraging" BSA to accept homosexuals and atheists.

I find it odd that BSA gets so much fuss. If the Boys and Girls Club is such a wonderful organization, why don't the homosexuals and atheists just stay with B&G Clubs and leave us alone.

Now, Merlyn will give us that old song and dance about "government funding."

All I have to say is "So what"? WOW what a resolution! Let's encourage the Socut to accept gays! Big deal! Most things from the Land of Fruits & Nuts make no sense and this resolution seems like a needless waste of time & the tax payers money. Seemes like the battle is getting a little weak!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I believe it was the Red Cross that took donations that were supposed to be allocated to victims of 9/11 and decided to use some of the money for other purposes. A public outcry forced them to abandon that plan.

I'm not aware that the United Way was involved in any such situation.

So...what effect will this 'condemnation' have? Probably none because there is nothing binding and BSA is free to ignore it. And...the legislature is not a chartering organization so their boys don't have to worry about wearing their religious awards. This is a snoozer.

If BSA executives had the nerve, they would excommunicate members of the legislature who are Scout leaders and who voted with the majority. Maybe single out their boys who are scouts for 'special treatment'.

"condemn" wasn't my wording, it was the headline the newspaper used. And I use the old song-and-dance about government funding because it can't support the BSA's discrimination; this resolution points out that the BSA's discrimination is contrary to CA state policy.

It's really not relevant who said what about the resolution -- and that includes the reporter who wrote the newspaper article and the headline-writer who stuck the word "condemn" in there. What is relevant is what the resolution said, that's why I asked about the actual text. Thanks to Merlyn for providing it.

Aside from a few little factual issues that are arguably mis-stated, obviously I agree with the sentiment of the California resolution as far as sexual orientation is concerned. I wish the BSA would do as they suggest. As far as atheism, I don't think there is anything wrong in asking for a reconsideration of the policy, but it probably is unreasonable to expect that the BSA is going to do something contrary to its own basic documents. This situation really is the opposite of the "gay policy," which under the circumstances existing today, is itself contrary to the Declaration of Religious Principles. I believe the BSA would have a lot more credibility on the "atheism" issue if it would allow local option on gays, because then rather than looking like a "big bad bully," the BSA could credibly say that all it is doing is enforcing its founding principles. Right now, it cannot.

As a California voter I find this to be useful information. I now will know exactly where the politicians that I get to vote for stand on this issue. I suspect this resolution could do more good than harm if people who care about scouting pay attention and find out where their representatives came down on this issue.