Course reversal in Philly?

Now I'm really confused as to what these guys are doing.

Gay Boy Scout cast out in Philly

Thu Jun 12, 8:04 PM ET Add Community - Planet Out to My Yahoo!

Christopher Lisotta, Gay.com / PlanetOut.com Network

SUMMARY: Just weeks after the local Philadelphia council of the Boy Scouts of America passed a resolution to add sexual orientation to its nondiscrimination policy, it expelled an 18-year-old scout for being openly gay.

Just weeks after the local Philadelphia council of the Boy Scouts of America passed a resolution to add sexual orientation to its nondiscrimination policy, it expelled an 18-year-old scout for being openly gay.

Gregory Lattera, a Life Scout (one level below Eagle Scout), received a letter from the Cradle of Liberty Boy Scouts of America (BSA) Council June 7. It said, "We have received information that has compelled us to revoke your registration. We therefore request that you sever any relationship you may have with the Boy Scouts of America."

The letter said that Lattera, who has spoken publicly about being gay and being in the scouts, violated a "don't ask, don't tell" rule that prevents scouts from talking about their sexuality.

"It broke my heart," Lattera said to the Gay.com/PlanetOut.com Network about receiving the letter. "It was something that was very upsetting to me." Lattera has been involved in the BSA for seven years, and for the past three summers has worked at a local BSA camp.

In May, the Cradle of Liberty Council passed the nondiscrimination order under pressure from the United Way, a nonprofit organization that provides funding to BSA councils. The United Way has said that since the BSA discriminates against gays in terms of membership and employment, it can longer fund the council.

According to Scott Cozza, founder of Scouting For All, a group that is trying to change the BSA's anti-gay policy, the move infuriated the BSA's national office in Irving, Texas, which has been adamant that local councils follow the national discrimination policy to the letter.

"BSA National decides membership for people whose opinions oppose theirs," Cozza said to the Gay.Com/PlanetOut.com Network.

William T. Dwyer III, the Cradle of Liberty Council's chief executive officer, said the decision to oust Lattera was purely a local one, which had nothing to do with BSA National.

"He decided to hold a press conference to come out as a member of the gay community, and also a potential employee and past employee of the Boy Scouts," Dwyer said to Knight Ridder Newspapers about Lattera. "Our staff knew he was gay and never made a big deal about it. He decided to make a big deal about it. The 'don't ask, don't tell' policy is pretty clear."

Center for Lesbian and Gay Civil Rights executive director Stacey Sobel, who is representing Lattera, argues the council has no written "don't ask, don't tell" policy, either in its bylaws or in the recent nondiscrimination clause.

"They are not living up to their own values," Sobel said to Gay.com/PlanetOut.com. "It's very clear they are being dishonest here. This was not the intention of the policy they signed."

In the meantime, Lattera said, he was now focused on finding a new summer job, since the BSA has rescinded its offer of employment at a BSA summer camp.

"I'm going to keep trying, whether I'm 90 or on my deathbed, to get the Scouts to change their ways," Lattera said.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Souonds like they can't make up their mind! They say they won't discriminate but if an individual "comes out" they boot him out! This is a good thing but the message ia garbled.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

No, "they" didn't say they would not discriminate.

The District Chairman without the proper authority and in violation of national policy said it.

The Council Scout Executive clarified that the non-discrimination policy existed only for members in the Learning for Life Program, a wholly owned subsidiary of the BSA and not affiliated with the traditional scouting programs.

He removed the individual from staff for publicly avowing his homosexuality along with his membership in the BSA, a violation of the BSA membership policies.

Lattera chose to speak up for the purpose of testing the policy. It was an unfortunate choice.

Bob White

Why on earth would anyone in Scouting feel the need to "avow" their sexuality regardless of what it is?

Heck, if one of the leaders in our troop got up on a podium to avow his heterosexuality (?) in front of a Scouting audience, I would recommend that the CO boot him out. Those type of actions are not germane to the Scouting movement.

I think the point that many in this forum contend, acco40, is that homosexuality, much like an 8-month pregnant unwed mother, is a "condition" ultimately impossible to conceal.

Of course, those that stand and make proclamations are one example, but I think it is the belief of some folks here that being gay (at least anything but a heaviliy closeted gay) would just be too obvious to the boys and an automatic disruption.

well its obvious isn't! The guy is Gay, he has to show it off, like" Look at me, I am a Queer" . Thats the problem with the fruitcake community, they can't just live and let live, they have to make a big deal out of it

The preceeding announcement was a personal commentary and does not represent the volunteers or management of this station or its subsidiaries. Thank you for watching. Please stay tuned for our regularly scheduled programing.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

This was not a reversal, but rather a misunderstanding or misrepresentation. Cradle of Liberty changed one policy only: the one relating to Learning for Life.

The position statement on leadership in this council is on National's website.

Though the media is continuing to publish statements that are incurate, the council is not addressing this publicly but will answer anyone who asks them about it.

~Laurie, member of Cradle of Liberty Council

You are welcome :) It has been very hard to understand what is happening if the press is all there is to go by, for nothing is clear especially since Cradle of Liberty says so very little in response. Good day to you! ~Laurie

If I were the Scout Executive, Jayson's registration would be denied or revoked for a serious breach of "trustworthy." In other words, conduct unbecomming a member of the BSA.

DS

Jayson, if you're out there, try to get the quote right. I think that's too much to ask. I have a feeling that his quote of my statement above would be . . . "Steele ordered me shot on sight in a show of moral depravity never before witnessed by mankind."

DS

Laurie writes:

This was not a reversal, but rather a misunderstanding or misrepresentation. Cradle of Liberty changed one policy only: the one relating to Learning for Life.

No, Learning for Life didn't discriminate before, and it doesn't now. That isn't a change; if it DID change, what's the difference between the old policy and the new one?