On a campout? Really?

We're going to Cub-O-Ree tonight; last Sat I went with the CC and some Webs to check out the campsite. We got a primo area with electricty and everything.

Although I asked, "Why do we need electricity? We haven't ever had it, camping, before."

The CC plans to put up a sheet AND SHOW A MOVIE tonight.

W.T.F.?!? (I'll put a dollar in the jar)

Does anyone else see my objection to showing a movie WHILE CAMPING?!?

Please discuss amongst yourselves and get back to me on Monday; I have to go load the truck.

(*mumbling to self*)

As long as it's an appropriate movie (i.e. something they wouldn't choose on their own that is inspiring) , and it's not a regular thing, I don't see the problem.

We showed "Rudy" to our scouts on a Boy Scout campout--it was a very hot day, and we couldn't have a campfire. We haven't repeated it, but it was a neat novelty. We used a generator for the electricity, though.

Movie? No way. Scouting is outing!

Steelers/Raven's play-off game projected on a the wall of a dining fly during a winter camp-out? Well, in these parts that almost counts as being reverent! ;)

Really, the best part (besides the outcome of the game) was explaining to an internetTV-age scout how an antenna worked!

I could see playing a movie as a backup for a whole weekend of wet rainy weather that causes you to cancel over half the planned activities.

But for a campout where things are going as planned? Nah, I wouldn't do it.

Not saying it's wrong, but it does make the whole point of camping a moot point.

I'd rather have campfire storie, jokes, and skits. And whenever we do skits..I can't tell what the boys enjoy more...watching them of being in them and getting the laugh.

I can maybe see hanging a sheet up and playing some kind of sillouette game or shadow figures.

Ya know, on a Friday night, camping with Cubs, when it gets dark now before 6:30 after wrangling folks together, driving, getting everyone set up and settled, I can see doing this as an alternative to trying to put together a campfire program on the first night. I actually kind of like the whole "drive in" (ok, camp in) feel of it, especially if it's a nice night and it can be done outside. I'd consider inviting the immediate neighborhood over to bring over a chair though, just as a way to acknowledge that there might be a little bit of noise.

I can see "possibly" ( cringing while saying this) bringing the movie for Tigers or Bears who are spending their very first time in the wood..or very first time camping ever..but beyond that, I'd only have it on standby in case of rain.

As far as for the sticks and rocks comment (and I am not saying this harshly or maliciously) - well yes and no. No it does not have to be rocks and stick only...you also have leaves and hiking, and exploring, and running around , and campfires and marshmellows, etc...

That's the whole point of camping. To get away from what you do everyday, and to see trhe world in a different way.

When you go on vacation, you could still drive a company car, answer your company phone all day long and still do work, but doesn't that make the whole vacation moot?

Why not tell every scout to bring school books, homework, a big tote full of toys, couch, sofa, etc..

KNow what I mean. Camping doesn't mean you are going to the stone age, but it does mean not doing what you normally do on a daily basis.

And that's why it's great., why is so fun, and why your shower and bed at home become altars of worship once you get back home! :)

Now having said all that: When ever we go camping, we never had a problem finding some fun activity for scouts to do. Give them 3 minutes, and they will be running around playing tag, hide and seek, war of "who has the coolest stick" , pine cone throwing competitions, etc...

Matter of fact, the problem we DO always have is trying to get them to sit still long enough to eat or wash the dirt off their hands and faces.

For us, going camping is like giving the scouts a big bag of sugar and an energy drink!

At our District Cuboree last weekend, The staff does show a movie on saturday night after the campfire program. Granted, it is in the Cub World activity center. But it's also something to settle the boys down a little bit before lights out. Totally optional for the boys to attend. In the past, they showed "Follow me Boys!" that got old, so this year they went with "UP". Turn out was higher than before, partly the movie, partly because of burn bans, you couldn't have fires in your camp site.

I think it can be good once in a while, but not all the time. Our troop shows movies at Winter Camp in the evening (This is the one campout we do allow the boys to bring their electronics)

I have seen other troops and packs set up sheets across trees for movies on regular campouts, kind of disturbing to see. For me, that's just more gear to haul. I do have to admit, I'm starting to loathe Cub camping with all the stuff that gets brought. Might have to start setting the example, by just packing my back pack with all my stuff to show everybody, you don't need a truck load of gear to go camping.

The council here is putting on a movie on Friday night during Cuboree. Our boys won't be attending. We're having our Campfire program, with the new boys getting their Bobcats.

Now, we do like electricity during our campouts--so that big old 60 cup coffee maker will work it's magic at 5am, and be ready for the breakfast crew at 6am!

My son's troop eneded up doing that tonight at camp. I went in for the day to lead a hike and was told that they were having movie night tonight because of weather conditions. The wind is blowing 30-40+ mph all day today. Not safe to have a campfire, storms are threatening tonight. Lost 4 tents due to the winds and damaged 4 more in the winds, probably about $750 in damages. The troop ended taking what was left of the tents down and moving into the recreation building they're camping beside. They are making the best of a bad night.

Don't want to make it a habit, but under the circumstances it beat everyone going home a night early.

Movie on a campout = lame.

Plenty to do in the outdoors without resorting to the laziest, unimaginative time-filling programming technique in the world..."show a movie."

The cubs no doubt had already seen the movie a dozen times anyhow.

PS Trainerlady: I concur with you--in your situation, a movie is appropriate.(This message has been edited by desertrat77)

During my district's family camping this is a regular occurrence. We have watched Follow Me Boys and Down and Derby a couple of times during family camping.

They do it outside, it's cold and we sit in the cold hard floor during the movie. I think that qualifies for outing in scouting since it is cold, outside, and uncomfortable. As camping should be. (yeah that was tongue in cheek)