Most Interesting Camping Meals (humor)

So, Scout went camping last weekend.

Once they got the camp set up, they had to come up with meal ideas, since the planned ideas were aborted by the Red Flag. (No open flames...fires, camp stoves ...nada.)

A quick trip to town for Pizza Hut was the solution.

Kinda funny.

Has a patrol mate who was in charge of cooking Saturday breakfast - the menu was blueberry pancakes. He didn't drain the blueberries and the pancakes turned a rather sickening color of green. We ate them anyway though we didn't have enough syrup to mask the taste, which was not great.

On my son's first campout, he voluntyeerd to be the patrol shopper.

So I took him shopping and stood back while he shoped. OKay, I gave some suggestions before arriving at the store - buy generaic since the supplies are only for one weekend and saves money)

Anyways, come Saturady morning, one of the new scouts comes up and tells me that i bought the wrong kind of pancake mix.

I told him that I didn't buy it. I didn't do the shopping. Then I asked him why it was the wrong kind of mix.

The scout tells me: "Because this kind sticks and burns. We are supposed to have that kind( pointing to another patrols nice gholden brown pancakes), not this kind."

So I look at what my son bought, which was Aunt Jemima mix in a box. You just add water.

The other patrol had the plastic jug that you add water and shake.

So I'm wondering why that kind would be so much better than the kind my son bought ( other than just easier) when I notice that the frying pan is bone dry and the knob is turned to "afterburner".

So, no grease of any kind in the pan, and the temperature almost at volcano.

I'll tell my son that , next time, he should definantly get the shake in a jug pancakes next time! LOL! :)

Most interesting from my days as a scout: We planned meatloaf in a dutch oven...but forgot the cover to the oven. No problem as scoutmaster had an old street sign in his car (procured in his college days). But a steel street sign apparently doesn't distribute heat as well as cast iron. We wound-up with Carbon Loaf. I don't know how we got chunks of it out of the oven, but after bending my scout-issued stainless steel fork trying to stab a chunk, I chose to pass on that dinner.

One my brother likes to tell the scouts in the troop he's SM in is the time his patrol decided to try and make mac and cheese, but bought straight macaroni noodles and forgot to buy the cheese. But they had plenty of margarine. Do you know what happens when you over butter pasta and let it sit for a little bit? It becomes "Macaroni and Glue". :)

Here's what one Patrol in our Troop did on a past camping trip...

They chopped up bacon and cooked it until crispy in a big skillet. They removed it and dumped most of the grease. They added chopped potatoes and onions and cooked until soft. They put the bacon back in and a dozen eggs. When the eggs were cooked, they turned the stove off, covered everything with a double layer of chocolate bars, and put the lid for about five minutes.

They ate it all, but decided not to do it again.

SMY224 Great story!

One patrol swapped out their "crummy" campstove for the shiny one on the shelf...which was on the shelf because it didn't work. Couldn't cook their frozen pizza rolls (I know, I know) which they discovered were edible if you let them warm up in their mouth.

One experiment Peanut Butter and Steak Fajitas was a hit. Another Spaghetti-O's and grits not so much.

This one was not hugely funny, but is often brought up around our Troops evening camp fire.

The Scout in question was the grub master/cook working on his 2nd class cooking requirements.... and did a pretty good job from breakfast thru lunch for his Patrol.

As an ASM in the Troop (and this young scouts previous CM a couple years prior), I was aware, over the book I was reading next to the campfire, of his prep/cooking. I knew his menu, as he had it approved by the PL the week before (and I saw a copy).

He was all out, dutch oven pre-heated & oiled, then dropped in dough for rolls, chicken wings on an adjustable metal grid (I made it 2 years ago) over the bed of wood coals he had prepared (cook fire requirement) .... hmm, I seem to had seen him clean potatoes and wrapping them in foil when I sat down..... still have not seen them by the fire.... he adds a cook pot of baked beans on the fire grid, turns the chicken and adds some sauce.... aha, I see the foiled potatoes STILL by his prep area.... he adds another cook pot of corn from a can.... sits down to tend the coals.... the foiled potatoes are still sitting by the prep area.....

He has gotten all this done by himself (no kibitzing from anyone), and I'll easily admit his Patrol has the best dinner of the weekend (even without the baked potatoes).....

So, finally I looked over the edge of my book and asked, "looks good, you planning on baked potatoes too?"

He answers, "sure, they only take 6 minutes at home"......

I ask, "In a microwave?

He says, "Yeah".

I returned to my book.... he glances back at the potatoes....., shrugs and picks them and arranges them around the wood coals....

His Patrol showed up at 6:30pm and ate their fill, except for the baked potatoes... he just said he put them on late.

I think the Adults finally got around to cooking around dark and hour or so later, and the potatoes were finally done... but no one in the Scouts Patrol was hungry anymore.

By then the phrase, "it takes 6 minutes at home", will be forever heard when someone asks if the potatoes are done.

I signed off his cooking/fire requirements on Monday with full endorsement by his Patrol.

Many years ago on a wilderness trip to Northern Ontario, we were going to have pancakes for breakfast. No one was anxious to give up any water from their canteens / water bottles - since we had to pump all our drinking water through a water filter. However, we did have water from the lake, boiling on the camp fire.

You guess it: we added the very hot water to the pancake mix. Believe me, it does not work.

I recall a Saturday night meal, many years ago, where a couple patrols thought it would be cool to join forces to make a giant stew in one pot, ala slumgullion/hobo jungle.

This can work if the ingredients are right. This night, not so much. You know things are off to a bad start when an entire box of bisquick is added, along with fish sticks (who the heck brings a box of frozen fish sticks on a campout anyway?), and a few sullen fish that were caught from a sullen lake nearby (southern AZ). And some other things I've thankfully forgotten.

Quagmire. Inedible. Cement mix with fish flavor. Indigestible. Disgusting. And I was on the roster for KP that night. It was a long night, not only for completing KP, but going to bed extremely hungry.

Today, I'm grateful the SM didn't stop us. He was a hard case on many things, like tents in perfect rows and military style open ranks. But he had the courage to bite his tongue on this caper. We second class scouts had alot of fun but learned an invaluable lesson. We took menu planning and cooking much more seriously in the future.

The Sunday breakfast is always an interesting meal for young patrols (I am a firm believer in age or peer based patrols). The boys sometime eat what they like first and not what was planned on a per meal basis.

Well, that morning, the last meal before departure, the patrol wanted to make pancakes and they had very little mix. So, they opened up the new large bag of Oreos, gave them a twist, scraped off the icing with their teeth/tongues and threw the "shells" into a mixing bowl. They then crushed the cookies and mixed it with the pancake mix more than doubling the quantity but producing jet black pancakes with a strange taste.

P.S. The boys loved it and as a Scoutmaster, I encouraged their inventiveness but also discussed hygiene. :)

...back when cooking over an open fire was common place

At Summer Camp, one day of the week was designated as patrol meals cooked in the campsite. My Scoutmaster would always remind us to "soap the pot" for easy clean up of the outside of the pot. In one patrol, shortly after the meal, many a Scout running for the latrine. When asked about the meal, the patrol cook said that the meal cooked long enough and there was no raw meat in their stew. The one thing he didn't understand, as he scrubbed the blackened pot, was why the food stuck to the bottom. The Scoutmaster was perplexed, and ask the Scout why he thought the stew wouldn't stick to the pot. That when the cause of the "gastric event" was discovered, the Scout "soaped the pot" placing a coating of liquid soap to the inside (not outside) of the pot before cooking the meal.

The PLC declares a cooking theme for Saturday nights meal during campouts. It is declared a couple of weeks before the campout so menu planning can meet the theme.

We were sea kayaking on the coast so the theme was seafood. One patrol cooked Chicken and Corn served in a Coconut shell. C-food.

I can't really top some of the earlier stories in this thread, but this is a good yarn anyway.

I was a patrol leader at the 1957 jamboree in Valley Forge. Every day we rotated duties and picked up food at the nearest commissary tent. The food came with printed instructions. The evening meal included peas, some other items I forget, and butterscotch pudding mix for making dessert. The sequence of instructions ran something like this:

1. Pour peas into pot.

2. Pour butterscotch pudding into pot.

3. Etc Etc

As you may have surmised by now, our cook for the evening put the peas and pudding mix into the same pot. He added the right amount of water and heated the whole thing up.

At dinner everybody in the patrol except one scout passed on the peas and pudding combination. We were all teenagers and some of us had large appetites. This scout was still very hungry and took the pot with the peas pudding combination and ate the whole thing, commenting, "This ain't bad."