Wont Crap in the Woods

I've taught this important skill to plenty of scouts. I first ask all the mom's to leave the room so we can have a guy's only discussion.

All women reading, please exit the post.

Step 1 Find a good location

Step 2 Using your handy orange shovel, dig a 6" cathole

Step 3 (this is the important one. Urinate first, makes the rest real easy

Step 4 Squat down and do your business-I favor taking some rope and looping it around a tree for added support.

Step 5 Use your handy orange shovel to fill the hole

Step 6 Put a stick in the hole for easy identification by future hikers who thought they found just the right area.

Coule years ago, I'm doing my business somewhere in the Smokey Mountains. I look to my left and see a HUGE pile of bear poop. I look to my right and see a HUGE pile of bear poop. Same to the left and right behind me. THat was good motivation to move a little faster.

Orange shovels are only a coule bucks. Perhaps a gift can be made at the next COH for anyone who needed to use one on the last hike.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calico-penn,I also have used the 5gal bucket way back when (30 yrs ago) both for my GS troop and my co-ed Explorer post.I did the same when I drove truck over the Rd for 15 yrs-(some places weren't safe to get out at)did a am/pm trash run.!!

Now I use a Maxwell Hse coffee can(2.2 lb) with the handle, line it with small trash liner and just put the lid on between uses,dump in the am. If it should get dirty, it's washable. Still small enough to put in my pack during day

Teaching the boys is one thing, try getting a bunch of girls to put pride and all else aside to let mother nature go!!LOL

The first time I went to the Boundary Waters I went with my brother and his daughter. I took along my 12 year old daughter as well. Yes, there are latrines at the campsites, but a lot of woods between sites. My daughter is the perfume, nail polish, kinda gal. Was even back then. Well, she announces the inevitable and I dig out the TP and tell her: Find a pink tree. She did just fine.

"Back when I was a kid" (gotta love the old-timers here) when we went to camporees, outings, etc. there were no porta-johns or latrines. We dug our own. It was just another part of camp set up along with tents, fire pit and dining fly. I don't remember it ever being an issue.

The gal I date went with me on a weekend kayak trip and when we set up camp she simply came to me and said she needed the TP because she found a pink tree. I think she had been talking with my daughter. :)

By the way, Meyer's book is a must read for anyone venturing into the woods!

Stosh

During a deep South summer, a turd, unless it's in a place where it will dessicate, will be attacked by fly larvae in minutes, penetrating and moving all through it almost randomly. Dung beetles will dive in shortly after. A passing dog will have to be quick in order to make a meal of that tasty tidbit. In the right locale, it will be unrecognizable in a day, almost undetectable in two.

In the winter, however, it could persist quite a while, maybe melt in the dreary rain like the wicked witch. Almost like a dead carcass. The carrion beetles will be on it along with the flies in minutes. They go for the eyes and anus and ears and nose and mouth. By the end of a good sweltering day the carcass could be undulating like it was alive...and in some sense it is. I remind myself every day to make sure I die with all orifices clenched as tightly as possible.

Here we go, from a woman's perspective...

I prefer the little folding shovels, the ones that go in a pouch you can wear on your belt. No digging in the pack for a shovel when the urge strikes. Preferred methodology, which I taught both my boys when they were little on camping trips, is to squat down, pants below the knees. Stick the blade of the unfolded shovel behind the pants with the shovel point in the ground. That way the shovel handle is pulling your pants forward and away from any fall-out. You can put your hand on the shovel handle to steady yourself and feel more grounded as you do your business, too.

My family camped and hiked from the time I was an infant, so I've never given it much thought. Just something you do. My husband on the other hand "camped" in cabins all his life. He is quite uptight about the whole pooping in the woods thing and isn't one for long trips away from modern toilets.

I don't care where we camp and have for us to go... but my biggest issue is that due to knee injury I cannot squat and get up so I have to have some sort of tree deal for support.

as for women going number 1 --- had enough women don't read - here is a men don't click...

http://www.freshette.com/sports_travel.html

best thing I have ever found... fits great in cargo leg pocket... but if you are ever traveling long distance and boys are going to just ask to pull off the road and run into ditches don't keep it in your pack that is buried under other peoples gear!!!

as for the boys... all the ones that I know of in our troop actually look forward to having to do it - guess they think it's some sort of becoming a man thing

as for the boys... all the ones that I know of in our troop actually look forward to having to do it - guess they think it's some sort of becoming a man thing

You're right. It is a rite of passage (oatmeal is my friend) and something I look forward to every morning.

Gotta go

I suggest longer campouts and higher fiber menus. Sooner or later.....

Our summer camp uses menu to keep the porta-johns as clean as long as possible. The two days before the johns are cleaned, it's oatmeal, beans and corn. Afterwards, its heavy on the white bread, bananas and cheese.

I had a Scout like Thomas' at camp this summer. Wednesday afternoon he was complaining of a stomach ache.

"Have you dropped a duce yet today?"

"No? Did you make yesterday?"

"NO?! Have you been at all this week?"

"Dude, you can't do that to yourself. You'll sieze up like an old Ford! You're gonna throw a rod!"

We went to the health lodge and explained the SIT-uation to the nurse. She let him camp out on the porcelain for a while. Later, that loud noise we heard.....

After college I spent several months building a cabin on our old family homeplace. Had plenty of opportunity to practice my alfresco technique. My recommendation:

1. Untie one shoe

2. Drop trou down around your ankles

3. In one motion, pull your foot out of the untied shoe and pants leg, move the pants leg out of the way and put your foot back in the shoe without the pants.

4. Move the pants leg out of the impact zone (if it's wet out, you can fold your pants and neatly stack the leg on top of the other shoe, off of the wet ground.

6. Do your bidniz and reverse the process.

With one leg unencumbered by pants, you can take a wide stance to squat, eliminating the need to hold on or leaning against anything. IM-Kathy, this technique may give you some help with the knee problems -- deep knee bends aren't required.

Ladies, When ya all execute a #1, what do you do with the TP? (Cover with leaves, cathole, pack it out) My wife joined us for a day without modern facilities. I escourted her and I handed her the TP and a zip-lock. She looked at me like I was insane. (I packed it out for her)