Neckerchief slide for pack leaders?

Hi all,

I've been searching all over and can't seem to find an answer to this one.

What would a pack leader (CM, CC, ACM) wear for a slide with a neckerchief? I'm thinking it's the Wolf side, but am not sure why.

I'm aware I could just make my own. Here I'm looking for the "official" one.

Thanks!

Just make one. There's nothing in the rules that designate what a slide should be for any scout of any age. It's nice to have a CS necker slide, but if the boy wants something unique he makes, have him go for it. Same for adults. Making a nice one out of parachute cord using the Turk's Head knot (same as the WB woggle) is quite easy. A quick Google search will have plenty of models/patterns to use and makes for an interesting afternoon. I make them all the time. My favorite is using tan and green cords, but I've used all kinds of colors that I could find. Always look nice. I once took a looooong week and made woggles for all the boys in the troop for Christmas presents. Cheap gift, and the boys really liked them.

Stosh

Thanks all - I really appreciate the feedback. I'd not thought about a generic scout slide.

I've been through WB and recall making the red woggle. I've been to the fabric store looking for similar cord to use, but did not see anything. Any suggestions on where you can find it? Stosh's reply has me thinking about making one for me and some cool ones for the boys in my dens.

Thanks!

"You could go with the standard metallic scout slide, make your own, or start wood badge and go with a wood badge slide."

The Wood Badge woggle (slide) should only be worn with the WB neckerchief.

But nothing prevents you from making a turk's head knot with other materials.

Just go find colored paracord. You can order it off of Amazon. I know of units that make up slides with it and sell them as fundraisers or give them away as friendship gifts.

I echo the paracord turks head woggle. Just made a bunch of them for our cubs graduation. A good way to make them last longer is to create a 2:1 ratio of woodglue and water and coat it liberally with 3 coats. Hard as a rock!

Thank you again all! In fact, this took me in a different direction than I'd originally thought and now I'm off looking for paracord for a Webelos den as well as myself.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I favor neckerchief slides that I have made myself. For the temporary Bobcat Den I organized after our recruiting night April 2nd, new Scouts made a neckerchief slide that was a name tag as well, to help everyone learn their names.

I combined that with neckerchiefs cut from a colorful thrift store sheet, so that boys would be "in uniform" with a neckerchief and slide near the beginning of our first Bobcat Den Meeting.

I wear the same neckerchief and slide myself, to set the example.

At our May 21st Bobcat Den meeting, our six new Scouts all completed their Bobcat requirements, which will be awarded at our June 2-3 overnight camp.

The Bobcat Den is now disbanded, with the new Scouts folded into their regular dens, which will be formed at the overnight camp as well.

First off, I commend you for wearing a neckerchief. These days far too many leaders opt out.

If you have a son in the pack, it's customary to wear the same slide he does. I would recommend that Den Leaders wear the same slide as the boys in their den.

As CM (and CA previously), I wear a 60's era grey metal "turks hear knot" slide that my Scoutmaster gave me when I was elected SPL. They're all over ebay--just search for "vintage boy scout slide". If I didn't have that one, I'd wear one of the ones I've made over the years.

I really like the idea of making them and handing them out to the boys as a rewards for a job well done. I'm gonna have to steal that!