What? No Pants or Socks?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting historical note:

Look at the old pictures of scouts in the pre1960's. Many are also not wearing "offical pants". However, and this is the BIG "HOWEVER", they still looked like scouts because:

1. Campaign hats.(this is a totally different topic-please don't get me started)

2. Neckerchefs

3. Good looking OD green, heavy weight uniform style shirts.

The current tan shirt is not really made for field use. I have several scout shirts in my collection (1950's)that are a cotton flannel material that are very comfortable to wear hiking/camping, look good, and would look OK with dark blue jeans-not that I would do that.

The BSA really needs to just break down and have some cheap button down activity shirts for field use. (while they are at it, the shirts should have yokes in the back and pleats in the pockets-but thats another story)Who cares if they are made in Mexico? I work for a Federal Agency and all our uniforms are now made overseas.

Sorry to get off topic. Take your average scout with a wrinkled, over patched and poorly sewn shirt, unbuttoned, wearing a bolo tie, no hat (or some dorky looking ball cap in sky blue) and some baggy assed pants colored white, cream, tan, or orange, and he looks like, I don't know what, but not a scout.

Tan shirts only look good with the green pants. Thats the end of it.

If your older scouts want to look different, have them form a venture crew and let them wear the kelly green shirts with jeans.

Of course, once you tell them that its ok wear jeans, they will wear something else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...---...

Similar to Ed, we require our scouts to wear scout shirts and neckerchiefs to regular troop meetings. And we require them to wear a neat, clean pair of jeans or Scout shorts with the shirt. No sweats, cutoffs, etc. They all must have a complete summer uniform for Summer camp and/or High Adventure. For COH and BOR they wear the summer uniform (even in winter).

SR540Beaver, you are incorrect about ordering from National Supply Division. The catalog will ship directly to your home. If you order through your local Scout Shop, they will ship directly to the Scout Shop and save you the shipping cost. The Scout Shop can also arrange to have your items shipped home. The choice is yours, but you can have your goods delivered to your home or work. The Scout gets sales credit for everything shipped in to it, so there may be a personal agenda working here that goes against suggesting that your items be shipped to a location other than the Scout Shop.

Our Scout Shop employees are employed by National Supply Division; they have an obligation to always suggest the correct uniform, without deviation, to the customer. For example, if I were to walk into the shop to buy a CS uniform, they would outfit me with a complete uniform. If I balked at the pants, they would respond by saying something like, "The official uniform includes the pants, I can't tell you not to buy them".

From my experience with the Scout Shop, I find it inconceivable that the shop employees would ever recommend or suggest anything less than the full uniform. As for not stocking uniform parts like pants and socks.....have them fired!!!! That's simply incompetent. Out of stock I could handle, but not stocking is simply unacceptable!

Ronvo,

If you look at the socks, they are not the normal socks worn by Scouts. The CS socks are either ankle socks or lightweight (dress type) socks. For the BS's, they are again either ankle or "small" crew socks. You may know that any small BS item is REALLY small.

So it appears that non of these items are what we might call a mainstay item. National appears to be either clearing out items that turned out to be a dud, or eliminating a particular size item that just didnt 'fit' the need, all due to poor sales.

foto,

I would assume under your scenario that you went into the scout shop, ordered the items, paid for them in advance and had them delivered to your home. There is no way on Scoutstuff.org to pay for items or shipping unless there is a COD option I missed. The only way I can see that you can order over the internet is to have it delivered to the scout shop for pick up and payment. What am I missing?

I just looked at the scoutstuff web site. The different styles of Scout Sox are still listed under the current stuff. It doesn't look to me like they're being phased out.

I also saw the socks under the closeout. The only difference in the description is the sizing. The newer ones have shoe sizes as well as s,m,l,xl, etc. The older ones are just generally sized. Perhaps small in the closeout is much smaller than the other?

Unc.

You cannot order merchandise from the Scoutstuff.org website despite the "shopping basket" feature. Use the website to see pictures, and learn about things that are available. There are lots of things available that are not listed in the printed catalog. When you know what it is you want, call (800) 323-0732 in North Carolina and place your order. With a credit card, they will ship direct to your house. Shipping is extra, but is not excessive. Your order will generally ship the same day, and I get my orders on the west coast in 5-6 days max. If you're in North Carolina, you may even get next-day delivery.

The 800 number is the most reliable way to get absolutely every Scouting piece of merchandise available. I cannot tell you the number of times I've been told by the Scout Shop that an item is "discontinued", and then called the 800 number and been told, "sure, no problem, we can ship that out today!". In my experience, orders placed through the Scout Shop take at least 10-14 days longer to arrive, solely because the shop aggregates their orders. The only advantage is you avoid a shipping charge.

I cannot recommend those people in North Carolina more highly. They are very customer oriented.

And if you ever want to go to the mother of all Scout Shops, you should stop by the one attached to the National Supply Division's warehouse in Charlotte. They literally stock every item in the catalog, including socks.

It's just off I-77 for you snowbirds headed to the beach and only about 10 minutes from the Charlotte airport if you ever have a long layover there (those of you who fly USAirway know what I'm talking about).

I,too, have struggled with how to get my Cubs to wear complete uniforms.One thing that I am going to try is to have a surprise visit to each Den and give out a coupon for a free family pizza to each scout that is in complete uniform. I may start a storm, but I, for one, am tired of asking the parents to completely uniform their Cubs and hearing that this is always the way it has been.

I am surprised this thread has not invited comment about not wearing full uniforms. Although true it is not "required", it is implied that scouts should were the official full uniform. On page 12 and 13 of the BSHB, it describes the complete official uniform and says "wear full uniforms for all ceremonial and indoor activities, such as troop meetings, courts of honor, and most other indoor functions." It doesn't seem to mention blue jeans anywhere.

Our troop bylaws require that the boys wear their full uniforms. When first passed, there was no enforcement. This sent a message to the boys that the rules were selectively enforced and meaningless. When the rule was enforced (starting the year after it was passed), the boys were given 3 "passes" where they could come with a missing part of the uniform- ie socks, pants or belt. After that, they were sent home to get the full uniform. No baseball team member would be allowed to practice or play without a full uniform.

That was 3 years ago. Today we are a full uniform troop. The Scouts tell the new kids what is expected. No adults ever have to intervene or enforce the rule. The boys quickly realize they don't fit in if they are not in full uniform.

ps For those troops that require it, the other troops that come to assemblies at camp look sloppy and silly.

On page 12 and 13 of the BSHB, it describes the complete official uniform and says "wear full uniforms for all ceremonial and indoor activities, such as troop meetings, courts of honor, and most other indoor functions."

I like the uniform & wear min to all Scouting activities. That being said the fact still remains that the BSA doesn't require anyone to wear a uniform to be a member. Therefore any unit requiring their Scout or leaders to be in full uniform (mine included) are adding to the requirements! Example Johnny Tenderfoot shows up for his BOR in a tee shirt & shorts. The SM tells Johnny Tenderfoot he can't have his BOR because his is not in full uniform. Being in full uniform isn't a requirement for ANY rank!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10