What? No Pants or Socks?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In our troop, wearing the Scout uniform is considered an example of Scout Spirit. The Scout who does not wear the uniform can legitimately be faulted for not showing Scout Spirit. The Scoutmaster can consider this with each rank advancement.

"The Scout who does not wear the uniform can legitimately be faulted for not showing Scout Spirit."

Sorry boleta, but that is not correct according to the advancement program of the BSA. Scout Spirit as defined by the BSA in the Boy Scout Handbook, the Scoutmaster Handbook, and the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual is about how the scout lives the ideals of the oath and law in his everyday life.

Any council or national appellate board of review would reverse the unit decision and pass the scout on Scout Spirit if he could give evidence of living the Oath and Law even if he never wore the uniform.

No unit or individual other than the national executive committee of the BSA can add to or subtract from the advancement requirements as determined by the Boy Scouts of America.

The unit you serve is adding to those requirements.

"Wear full uniform for all ceremonies and indoor activities, such as troop meetings, courts of honor and most other functions. The uniform should also be worn during special outdoor occasions, such as Scout shows, flag ceremonies and special times at summer camp"

The BSHB also says "like the Scout badge, the uniform is an emblem of Scouting." It also says "Scout spirit refers to the effort you make to live up to the ideals of Scouting." I think the troop decided that wearing the uniform is a demonstration of effort. IF the troop considers wearing the uniform to be an example of Scout Spirit, THEN the Scoutmaster can consider it.

As you quoted the HB above, it says wear it. Not half of it. The Scoutmaster in our troop has sole discretion of signing off on Scout Spirit prior to a Board of Review. I am sure the Scout can appeal this to National if denied, but it sure would seem simpler to wear the uniform, especially when everyone else is wearing it.

It also says "Scout spirit refers to the effort you make to live up to the ideals of Scouting."

You are correct boleta. That is what it says. "Scout Spirit refers to the effort you make to live the ideals of scouting."

Uniforming is NOT an "Ideal" of scouting. Uniforming is a "Method" of Scouting.

The "ideals" of scouting are the Oath, Law, Motto, and Slogan. These are the elements that Scout Spirit is to be based on, not the methods.

You need to be aware that if a scout excercises his option to appeal the decision, he will be upheld by the council and national. The unit is adding to the advancement requirements.

The only thing that has allowed this practice to continue is that no scout in the unit has been aware that he has the right to appeal. It's not that the unit is right, it's that they have never been caught.

In reviewing the entire thread, I must conclude that Bob White is, again, correct in his interpretation of the rules. I would be willing to bet (having never met Bob) that he is ALWAYS in a full field uniform, when appropriate, as described in the BSHB. I would also bet that the troop he is involved with is a Full Uniform Troop. Train them, Trust them, let them lead... So how do you get a troop that is not "full uniform" to wear it if it is not required somewhere along the line?

"The only thing that has allowed this practice to continue is that no scout in the unit has been aware that he has the right to appeal. It's not that the unit is right, it's that they have never been caught."

Actually, no Scout has ever been denied advancement because of the uniform issue. Also, no Scout has appeared before a Board of Review out of full field uniform since I have been with this troop.

"I would be willing to bet (having never met Bob) that he is ALWAYS in a full field uniform, when appropriate, as described in the BSHB."

Sorta, almost, pretty close. I guess the key phrase is "when appropriate. I am not always in uniform. But when it is appropriate to be in uniform then I make every effort to be in a complete and correct uniform. That includes whether it is appropriate to be in an activity or a field uniform.

Is that a bad thing? Would anyone here prefer that unit leaders not try to do the best they can in following the program and setting a good example?

I sometimes wear a scout t-shirt, sweatshirt, or polo with jeans or street clothes but I don't pretend that its a uniform. When a uniform is appropriate I wear the entire uniform.

As for how to get the Scouts in uniform that has been discussed several times before. Some of the main points are.

Set a good example.

Positive recognition for appearance.

Make uniforms available and affordable through pre-worn uniform pieces.

Start early, Cubs in a complete uniform become scouts in complete uniform.

Communicate the purpose of uniforming to parents.

Wear the uniform only at appropriate times to extent its look and life and to add to its meaning.

Get ALL unit volunteers trained so that they understand and support the methods of scouting.

Hope this helps

BW

"So how do you get a troop that is not full uniform if it is not required..."

Isn't that where Leadership comes into play?

The first step is to do everything possible to make sure that everyone has a uniform.

Everyone has lots of ideas of how to go about this. When I was a Scoutmaster, I found that having a Scout Bank, where the Scouts could pay in whatever they wanted each week worked well for us. Today when OJ outgrows a uniform we give it to a friend that has four boys in Scouting.

The next step is in creating an atmosphere in which they want to wear their uniforms.

Ken Blanchard in the One Minute Manager, makes a very good observation, that most times we only catch people doing things wrong. He suggests that we start looking for opportunities to catch people doing things right. Rather then giving someone a hard time for not wearing the uniform, give all those that are wearing it a pat on the back. "Hey Tim, you look great tonight" Or at the Scoutmasters minute "I want to congratulate the Owl Patrol on all being in uniform tonight." These pats on the back are very important. So important that we as adults need to go out of our way to look for and find things that the Scouts are doing right.

I'm also a big fan of Reflections. This is where the Scouts tell how they are feeling. The Leader needs to know how to ask leading questions that can't be answered with a yes or no answer: "Hey Guys,thanks for showing up to the whatever you did a great job, but how could we have done it better? Everyone is given a chance to answer, there are no right or wrong answers and the leader keeps his mouth shut. "How could we have looked better?"

The PLC can be a great tool in getting Scouts to wear their uniforms.

The goal has to be to have them to want to wear it.

Making them is not giving them the choices that we are all about.

Eamonn.

Its seems this topic has come full circle. I agree with Bobs statement Start early, Cubs in a complete uniform become scouts in complete uniform. Hence my chagrin with my experiences with the scout shops.

Another thing, especially in cubs, is emulation of others. When a Tiger no one in my sons den wore the proper belt. I bought the tiger belt for my son. Low and behold one by one the other boys had their parents buy them tiger belt.

Come the fall, I hope when the boys see my son and I in full uniform they will want to do the same.